Lounger
    Thanks

Finding out if HD needs to be replaced

Hi

So I have this laptop that fell down, I replaced its screen, now when I am inside windows the boot time has increased and the wait time as well.
    The hard drive utilization is always 99%. It also makes some ticking sounds. So, I concluded a new hard drive is needed.
    First I want to make sure if I am taking the right decision. If I am , then can I avoid installing windows and just clone the old windows to the new hard drive.

-Thanks for your help

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    May be worth testing with one of the many hard disk utilities first. This one, CrystalDiskinfo is free...

https://crystalmark.info/en/

Thanks
    Making an image backup before stressing the drive with a test suite would be my rec. If your HDD is small enough a SSD may be cost effective and make your old laptop a bit zippier. I use Macrium Reflect or Acronis s/w for the image you actually could go straight to a clone with these.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    The free version of Aomei Backupper allows you to create an image to an external disk, which you can restore to a new disk using the Aomei boot CD/USB.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Was impossible to clone the disk. Saved time and installed win10 which was activated after installation