Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2013 to Office 2010 (genuine reasons), (how) can it be done, or is there a better way?

My wife has a laptop which was running Office 2013, and which has a large quantity of office documents including a couple of outlook PST files. Unfortunately this laptop suffered some trauma and is going to need repairs. I'm confident that we'll get it back in a working state but potentially not for several weeks.The entire C drive is backed up daily to a NAS so we still have the data.Meanwhile I have a spare laptop which has a legitimate copy of Office 2010 on it. Her laptop came with Office 2013 pre-installed so we don't have the media. In any case I don't want to purloin her license because we'll want it when her laptop comes back.I am (as I type) recovering her user data from the backup and restoring it to a new user account on the spare laptop. I'm just wondering what my options are, and what I would have to do without breaking the bank or devoting too many hours to it, to get this laptop into a state where she can edit her documents and read and upload her mail. (Her primary mail account is with Google so if the worst comes to the worst she can still access it through a browser, but that doesn't solve the word/excel issues).Thanks in advance for any suggestionsCheersT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,023 Posts
    Her documents should be fine unless she has used any features in Office 2013 which are not in Office 2010. You may run into permissions problems as the account you've created is different than the account on her PC even it is the same name. If there are permission problems search on "take ownership" to get a solution. PST files may be a whole different problem. Microsoft seldom if ever publishes changes to the format of PST files. Generally, a newer version of Outlook can read an old PST file but an older version may not be able to "understand" a PST file created with a newer version. Here's what I'd try. Setup the email account on Outlook 2010. Copy the PST file to a convenient location on the laptop. Use the IMPORT function in Outlook to try to access the data and get it to the PST file created when you created the account in Outlook 2010.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

aquatarkus (2018-04-08)

Thanks
    Some notes I made a couple of years ago:

What Office 2013 has v 2010

More sharing plus device and cloud integration.
    Improved interface.
    Some touchscreen functionality.
    Collapsible ribbon.
    Customizing ribbon easier, relatively simple now.
    Word - PDF editing.
    Word - better DTP features.

So there shouldn't be any deal breakers going from 2013 > 2010.

If you run into a problem, there's a Office 365 trial which is free for a month—that would be Office 2016, which should definitely work.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. It turns out I was misled, and her laptop was in fact running Office 2010. (The only documentation I could find for the laptop was Dell's quote and my order, which specified Office 2013. So for whatever reason, what they delivered was Office 2010, which I'm not going to bitch about now because it should simplify my problems!)However.. Outlook is giving me grief. I'll start a separate thread for that discussion because the title of this one is no longer valid.cheersT