Lounger
    Thanks

WINDOWS Photo Viewer and RAW Images

Hey all..Windows 8.1I shoot Canon 5D in RAW, and process the images with "Adobe Elements 14"Slow and cumbersome insofar as I can only open 1 image at a time, and mostly chopping and changing between multiple images.HOW can I update "Windows Photo Viewer" to allow me to view CR2 files please?I do NOT want to do a complete "Windows Update" as it does things to the computer which I do not want.IS there a way in which I can update JUST "Windows Photo viewer" itself only so it views these files like Windows 10 appears to do.Thank you.kio

Thanks
    I think that using cheap and cheerful programs like Windows photo viewer or Adobe Elements to process raw files is akin to trying to win a F1 race with a Ford Focus (even a hot one). A quick Google indicates that you should use Photoshop or Lightroom to process them. These aren't cheap. There is a Open source program you could use called the Gimp. This processes Raw images and is pretty much equivalent to Photoshop. See https://howtogimp.com/raw-photos-with-gimp/. I have a Nikon D750 and it came with software to process Raw files - didn't your Canon?
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

Thanks
    Have you tried Canon's DPP, which is designed to process RAWóbut maybe not for 5D cameras, I don't know.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Regarding the Windows Photo Viewer in W8.1, it sounds like you havenít downloaded and installed a Camera Codec Package which should allow the .CR2 files from the 5D to be viewed.
    In my first image below, it shows the .CR2, RAW file samples (they are 5D, 5D Mk2, 5d Mk3 files) in File Explorer as thumbnails.
    When opened in WPV, they donít show as they are not supported.

Click to enlarge

When an appropriate codec package is installed, they all show in WPV as seen below.

Click to enlarge

Hereís the download link for the package I have used and a link to see the cameras covered:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=41337

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-in-windows-8

Out of interest, when you say Adobe Elements-14 is too slow and cumbersome in so far as you can only open 1 image at a time, what exactly are you meaning?
    If you opt to open more than one CR2 raw image, they open in Adobe Camera Raw.
    You should see them all in the left pane and a selected image in the main viewer.
    When you have finished editing either individual .CR2 images, or several at the same time in ACR, you can select them all, use the ĎOpen Imageí tab, and they will open in the PSE Editor.

Assuming you are in Expert mode, they will have individual tabs to select, or you can use the Photo Bin to navigate between the loaded images.
    If you want to have all the images to be available in the main editor pane, say as tiles, you can go to the Window tab on the Menubar > Images, and opt to see a Tile view. My example uses 4 tiles as there are 4 images being used.
    If you want to have Floating windows available, you need to go into the Preferences > General and opt to have this option selected.
    You can then try the floating windows option out and resize them accordingly.
    You can also use the Layout tab to select a layout in the main pain for your images.

Click the image below to see a short video of what Iím referring to. Apologies if it isnít what you are meaning.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Moonshine- For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2018-04-10),Lugh (2018-04-11),satrow (2018-04-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Awesome post!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey all...
    "Thank you" all for the replies..
    I am a bit of a Neanderthal when it comes to computers...
    AND cameras for that matter..
    IT frustrates me that I cannot capture what my eyes can see..
    The 5d is the only camera I can come close to doing it.. BUT... man.. the process is hard

I will go through all the above and work out what I can do..
    As I stated, my lady friend has windows 10, and she can "open with - Windows photo viewer"... flick through the 30 odd images I take, select the better ones, and then process through Adobe photoshop elements.. I can't do it with my windows 8.1 WPV..
    But.. good advice from all above.. now I go see what I can do with it all...
    Thanks again