Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I finally installed BootIt UEFI. It installs in the EFI partition and does its magic from there. The UI looks just like BootIt Bare Metal. I don't have the boot manager completely sussed out yet, it's a little different from Bare Metal in its setup, but I'll get it sorted out.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, bbearren and everyone,
    I am a newbie.
    Sorry, excuse for silly questions:
    About Terabyte (it is so rare any review, or none, about Terabyte (but there is a lot lot lot of Macrium, Acronis, Aomei, EaseUsTodo, etc etc ).
    Would you mind to clear some few things (I am between M. Reflect but I am afraid of complicated not easy to manage and... making foolish).
    Question 1:
    - I have 1 unique partition ( 1 T ), almost free, just 20% occupied .
    - I ask you, please:
    What about the Clone Image? the Image will have the same amount of the External Free HD (also 1 T ) ? Or less? Or the destiny-external-Free HD must have 1,25 size the original HD? I say: 25% more space capacity than the original HD (I' ve read something about that, over there, I cannot remember).
    So, I ask you, please, if the Image will occupy all my extra external free 1 T HD by coincidence?
    I have another External WD HD My Passport 500 GB occupied. II would not use it for Image. All backup I put apart from the desktop (on other place). So, my Internal HD is always almost free (a new one WD Black Series), after crashes caused by eletrical company)
    Question 2:
    I ve read on some of those website foruns that it is no reliable to make increasing images. I do not know, I ask you, please.
    Question 3:
    - Tools of partition one original HD (I use), if though the O.S. is already installed and have been used? (Some people says, on any these web foruns, it is not recommended, only if it is made in the exact moment my technician had install the OS (on rapid formatting or in deep formatting??),
    I ask you, too, please. .
    I already have my W.7 Home Premium, 64 Bits installed (genuine).
    As W. 7, I pay annual support to Microsoft do Brasil for some help
    As W. 7 will stop, I want to make an Image, increasing. (And for some troubles have occurred from the bad local electrical company in Brazil, northeast, Recife main city of Pernambuco state).

kind regards,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbertoH View Post
    Hi, bbearren and everyone,
    I am a newbie.
    Sorry, excuse for silly questions:
    About Terabyte (it is so rare any review, or none, about Terabyte (but there is a lot lot lot of Macrium, Acronis, Aomei, EaseUsTodo, etc etc ).
    Would you mind to clear some few things (I am between M. Reflect but I am afraid of complicated not easy to manage and... making foolish).
    Question 1:
    - I have 1 unique partition ( 1 T ), almost free, just 20% occupied .
    - I ask you, please:
    What about the Clone Image? the Image will have the same amount of the External Free HD (also 1 T ) ? Or less? Or the destiny-external-Free HD must have 1,25 size the original HD? I say: 25% more space capacity than the original HD (I' ve read something about that, over there, I cannot remember).
    So, I ask you, please, if the Image will occupy all my extra external free 1 T HD by coincidence?
    I have another External WD HD My Passport 500 GB occupied. II would not use it for Image. All backup I put apart from the desktop (on other place). So, my Internal HD is always almost free (a new one WD Black Series), after crashes caused by eletrical company)
    Welcome to the Lounge.

I would suggest not using a clone, use a drive image instead. The TeraByte Drive Image will only image the portion of the hard drive that is in use, with a normal compression ratio of about 2:1. In other words, the image file will be about half the size of the actual files/folders on the hard drive. You can use your external 500GB hard drive as target for the drive images.

Question 2:
    I ve read on some of those website foruns that it is no reliable to make increasing images. I do not know, I ask you, please.
    I'm assuming that you are referring to incremental backup. My personal preference is to forego incremental backup, and use full backup/image instead. I keep about three images on file, and delete the oldest when I create a new image.
    Question 3:
    - Tools of partition one original HD (I use), if though the O.S. is already installed and have been used? (Some people says, on any these web foruns, it is not recommended, only if it is made in the exact moment my technician had install the OS (on rapid formatting or in deep formatting??),
    I ask you, too, please.
    I make drive images regularly, at least once a week. As stated above, I delete the oldest image file and keep the newest.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree, go for the full image always, sure beats have to restore several images.

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    To more fully understand the difference between cloning a disk and imaging a disk, you may want to read this article.

The following paragraph is from that article.
    "Disk cloning and disk imaging are two processes that accomplish the same goal: They copy all of a hard drive's contents. It's possible to clone a disk by using a disk image, but the two are distinctly different in the process they use to copy hard drives. Disk cloning creates a functional one-to-one copy of a hard drive, while disk imaging creates an archive of a hard drive that can be used to make a one-to-one copy."

Note that what that paragraph above means is:
    (1) When you "clone a disk" you make a second disk which can be physically substituted for the original disk.
    (2) When you "image a disk" you produce a file (on another disk or somewhere else) which can be used to recreate the original disk (on the original disk or on a different disk). This file is called an image. The software you use to create the image file can also be used to restore that image onto a disk.
    I hope that helps you.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you, but one more questiom, please:

And about return Boot? (I will need to boot after making an Image? )
    - Because I ve read this anywhere:

"Important
    "Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port. "
    .................................................. ............
    Forgive me: I still on doubt: my 500 HD is only for others backups.
    I mean my present free external 1 T HD will use for Image.
    If my Internal HD, also 1 T, but only 200 GB occupied, which, estimated, size would be the External Image?

kind regards,
    Humberto

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbertoH View Post
    thank you, but one more questiom, please:

And about return Boot? (I will need to boot after making an Image? )
    - Because I ve read this anywhere:

"Important
    "Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port. "
    A drive/partition image created with Image For Windows is not a clone. It is a compressed file containing all the folders/files on the drive/partition from which it was created. It is not bootable, nor is that necessary or desirable.

The purpose of the drive image is for use to restore the folders/files to the drive/partition from which it was made in case of file corruption, malware infection and such.

Forgive me: I still on doubt: my 500 HD is only for others backups.
    I mean my present free external 1 T HD will use for Image.
    If my Internal HD, also 1 T, but only 200 GB occupied, which, estimated, size would be the External Image?
    The standard compression ratio for Image For Windows is ~50%, so the size of the image file for 200GB of folders/files would be ~100GB. Other compression ratios are offered in the UI when creating an image. I use Enhanced Speed A, which is ~69% of the actual size of the folders/files being imaged. Here is some info from the User's Manual:

"When you create a backup using Image for Windows, you back up not only your data files but also the operating system, in its entirety. To understand the full impact of having an image backup, suppose that you install a program to test it and discover it is not what you expected. You attempt to uninstall it and it misbehaves. Before you know it, the fully functional, well-behaved computer you fondly remember from 30 minutes ago is gone, and, in its place, you now have a devil child that won’t even boot. If you restore an image backup taken before you installed the errant program, you effectively remove all traces of the program—your computer returns to the state it was in before you installed the errant program and life goes on as if the errant program never existed on your hard drive.

After backing up with Image for Windows, your computer is protected from crashes, data loss, hardware problems, and malicious software (i.e. viruses), since you can restore the snapshot image whenever necessary.

You can view and extract individual files or folders from an image backup by using the free TBIView or TBIMount add-ons, which are included as part of the Image for Windows setup.

When you are ready to restore a Windows backup image, you typically use boot media because you cannot restore a Windows image while you work in that instance of Windows. So, instead, you can create the TBWinRE/PE (Image for Windows), Image for DOS or Image for Linux boot media and then use it to restore your image. By doing this, when you boot your computer, you don’t boot to Windows, so your Windows installation is not in use and you can safely restore it."
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-12-13 at 13:00. Reason: spelling

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    A drive/partition image created with Image For Windows is not a clone. It is a compressed file containing all the folders/files on the drive/partition from which it was created. It is not bootable, nor is that necessary or desirable.

The purpose of the drive image is for use to restore the folders/files to the drive/partition from which it was made in case of file corruption, malware infection and such.

The standard compression ratio for Image For Windows is ~50%, so the size of the image file for 200GB of folders/files would be ~100GB. Other compression ratios are offered in the UI when creating an image. I use Enhanced Speed A, which is ~69% of the actual size of the folders/files being imaged. Here is some info from the User's Manual:

"When you create a backup using Image for Windows, you back up not only your data files but also the operating system, in its entirety. To understand the full impact of having an image backup, suppose that you install a program to test it and discover it is not what you expected. You attempt to uninstall it and it misbehaves. Before you know it, the fully functional, well-behaved computer you fondly remember from 30 minutes ago is gone, and, in its place, you now have a devil child that won’t even boot. If you restore an image backup taken before you installed the errant program, you effectively remove all traces of the program—your computer returns to the state it was in before you installed the errant program and life goes on as if the errant program never existed on your hard drive.

After backing up with Image for Windows, your computer is protected from crashes, data loss, hardware problems, and malicious software (i.e. viruses), since you can restore the snapshot image whenever necessary.

You can view and extract individual files or folders from an image backup by using the free TBIView or TBIMount add-ons, which are included as part of the Image for Windows setup.

When you are ready to restore a Windows backup image, you typically use boot media because you cannot restore a Windows image while you work in that instance of Windows. So, instead, you can create the TBWinRE/PE (Image for Windows), Image for DOS or Image for Linux boot media and then use it to restore your image. By doing this, when you boot your computer, you don’t boot to Windows, so your Windows installation is not in use and you can safely restore it."
    Thank you!!!

Thanks
    The TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite is now version 3.26 as of February 7, 2019.
    The Suite still includes DOS, Linux, and Windows imaging programs.
    Read about it here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

The BootIt Collection:
    BootIt UEFI (BIU) is version 1.06 and you can read about it here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-uefi.htm
    BootIt Bare Metal is version 1.54 and you can read about it here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

EDIT: If you are running Windows 10 version 1809 then note that the new ADK download has two parts; one is the ADK and the other is the PE addon(s) for the ADK. Refer to this page.
    Last edited by RockE; 2019-02-07 at 08:53. Reason: BIU version update
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Slorm (2019-02-08)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12