Thanks

Replacement for Secunia PSI?

You might check this thread: https://forums.windowssecrets.com/sh...=1#post1087450
    I don't personally use such software.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for Secunia PSI?

Does anyone know of a replacement for Secunia PSI? As all probably know, support by them is about to end and Sumo they recommend doesn't seem accurate and doesn't do updates itself like Secunia PSI does/did.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One could try Glary Utilities; of course, YMMV.
    Zig

Thanks
    This thread should be merged with this duplicate.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    AlternativeTo is usually a good place to see what's out there. I'm still poking around:

Installers & Updaters
    The boon of any new PC build or reinstall of everything, these will also keep the software they monitor up to date, or tip you off re updates available.

Ninite Top-class, I've used this for a long time, covers ~80 programs.

Patch My PC >300 programs, found 29 of my well-over 100 installed programs & highlighted 10 for update with offer to perform the updates. Hmm, its Uninstaller found ~150 programs, so maybe they'll move towards updating in the future—or maybe it just read the MS uninstall list, founder is ex-MS.

Interface is nice and clear. Good grouping of the 300+ programs into categories like Security, Messaging etc—nice place to look if you want a new whatever.

It doesn't say anything about avoiding crapware coming along for the ride with installs or updates, and unchecking their offers, which PSI explicitly avoids. That needs clarification before launching an update run.

Updaters
    In contrast, these scan your PC for what you have, & then get or advise updates.

SUMO seems to have improved since 2-3 years ago, looks promising. Found 62 products—ignored all games, but picked up all other spot checks incl some old & obscure stuff. There's an 'Add' functionality which I assume is to add folders to the HD scan, also an 'Exclude' function—nice.

Ho hum. I select my trusty Editplus and click Get Update. Opens an Editplus page on SUMo site. That's poor UX but OK, click the Download Editplus button.
    Ho ho Hum hum. Next up is shareit.com cart page with SUMo already loaded for $30. Some fishing around finds "SUMo PRO adds automatic self-update & direct update access capabilities to SUMo"—so I assume the free version is a scan & advise program, not an integrated updater. Fair enough, but that UX sucks.

Says I need 29 updates, 11 major, 18 minor—obviously Major = when the main version # changes, so 4.5 > 4.7 is Minor but 4.5 > 5.2 is Major.

Kaspersky Software Updater might be ideal, it has an option to only consider security updates in the scan—I find it annoying to have to wade thru mostly inconsequential updates in other monitoring programs. But the dang thing doesn't work, found zero needed updates.
    PS Here's the list of what KSU searches for. So it doesn't scan your PC for installs, or what? I only had ~6 of its monitored software installed, so no good to me.

Belarc Advisor is a utility I've used occasionally over the years. Provides a lot of info about your system, incl hardware & software. Software license codes, versions & usage—and missing security updates, of which it identified 3 for me from Java & Adobe.

The info interface is a HTML file on your HD, they say nothing is sent to a server. Give it a spin if you haven't used it, just to see if all the other info might suit your needs.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using SUMO for a while. Found it easy to use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also like SUMO, but I have not done an update for a couple of months, who has it? I will be very grateful if you share. I need more compatibility

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Wheeler View Post
    I also like SUMO, but I have not done an update for a couple of months, who has it? I will be very grateful if you share. I need more compatibility
    SUMo may be found here.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    FileHippo
    George