Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Moon.

Thanks
    Dave, I see you have 4GB RAM. That's minimum for x64, consider getting another 4GB to give yourself some breathing space—should be the same type as you already have for max compatibility. The main reasons to move to x64 is usually so you can access more than 4GB of RAM.

Image & backup as the guys said already. Fyi the reinstall of x64 OS will only wipe the C: drive—if you have other drives, they should be untouched. It can be a good idea to have your data—ie personal files—on another drive, which can be a partition of your physical HD if you only have one.

Note also that when you have an x64 OS, you are often still better off to install x32 programs—eg last time I checked, MS still advised installing x32 Office on x64 OS. I install x32 software unless I have a clear reason to go x64, main reason being that a lot of plugins & addons don't have x64 versions, or the x64s aren't as stable. A good reason to go x64 software is if the program will be dealing with large files, ie multi-GB.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lugh, thanks for all the additional info.
    I still have'nt decided to do the upgrade, as presently the 32bit is working fine.
    Presently I have a 160GB hard drive of which only 25.2GB is free so maybe I need a
    larger hard drive to create a partition for my personal files?
    With Firefox and Thunderbird running the memory is 69% otherwise the memory is 49%. Firefox is a hogger.
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win10 Pro desktop computer that reports the same as yours.
    --- System type 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    --- System Type x86-based PC
    --- I do not know why there is that reported difference.
    --- But I did run my computer last year as a dual boot to include Linux Mint 64-bit version w/o any problems.

You might want to go to www.crucial.com
    Let it scan your computer, see if it reports maximum memory greater than 4 GB.
    --- My crucial reports maximum memory of 16GB.

If you plan on replacing your HDD, while you have crucial, see what SSD options are recommended for your PC.
    --- If you research HDD's for your computer, consider one with 7200 RPM as many HDD's come with 5400 RPM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    If you research HDD's for your computer, consider one with 7200 RPM as many HDD's come with 5400 RPM.
    Yes, if the OS will be on the HD.

Ideal setup imo is a SSD for OS & Programs, and a 5400 HD for data files—the cheaper 5400 will offset some of the SSD cost.

SSD plus is speed, which makes a big difference for the OS especially, and some larger programs.

HD plus is large capacity for holding all your personal files.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Crucial site reports 8Gb of memory, but the 32bit can only run maximum 4GB, or
    am I wrong?
    I would like to upgrade to a SSD but presently they are very pricey here in South Africa.
    Thank you both.

Thanks
    From another post it appears that Dave's system uses a ECS H61H2-M12 mainboard and a 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda ST3160811AS (which has ~25GB free space).

The specs for the mainboard show it can address up to 16GB RAM using Non-ECC DDR3 modules in 2 DIMM slots. It's interesting that post #21 shows the Crucial site reporting 8GB but not clear what that's referring to (a Crucial tool to interrogate the mainboard?). It's not possible to see from the Speccy screenshot in the other thread how the current RAM is configured but this may be more obvious from a system info screen in the BIOS. (Dave - In Speccy, click on the word RAM to expand the category.)

Hope this helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-04-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    The Crucial site reports 8Gb of memory, but the 32bit can only run maximum 4GB, or am I wrong? I would like to upgrade to a SSD but presently they are very pricey here in South Africa.
    Thank you both.
    If more than maximum 4GB RAM is reported, the computer is 64-bit capable.
    --- Rick's find about 16GB vs. crucial's 8GB is pretty interesting
    --- You can run 64-bit OS if you wish.
    EDIT --- However if you are running 32-bit OS but want to install 64-bit OS I believe there is cost involved because you will be getting a new product key in the process. My Mistake, that is not true.

I know what you mean about the cost of an SSD, I run into that all the time.
    But when I help someone I check out what is their normal usage and most of the time there's only about 100GB space usage.
    --- Purchasing an SSD with lower volume but ample free space provides speed & performance that can be preferable.
    --- I replaced my original 500GB HDD with a 250GB SSD and its performance and speed was well worth the extra few dollars.
    --- Back to your HDD though, I just installed a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD on a friends computer and it only cost $51.00. That's what my friend wanted and he's happy about it.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-04-26 at 12:29.

Thanks
    "However if you are running 32-bit OS but want to install 64-bit OS I believe there is cost involved because you will be getting a new product key in the process"

Not true. A valid product key should be good for both 32 bit or 64 bit installs.

Jerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-04-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    "However if you are running 32-bit OS but want to install 64-bit OS I believe there is cost involved because you will be getting a new product key in the process"
    Not true. A valid product key should be good for both 32 bit or 64 bit installs.
    Jerry
    Thanks Jerry. I called a friend who had upgraded his Windows 7 to Windows 10 and somehow ended up with a payment would have been involved. He wasn't very clear on it but by deciphering what did happen, he had upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home, ran into some kind of trouble so decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: how he did that I don't know but it certainly wasn't a bittedness issue but a version issue. He told me he ended up going back to Windows 10 Home.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I have a Win10 Pro desktop computer that reports the same as yours.
    --- System type 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    --- System Type x86-based PC
    --- I do not know why there is that reported difference.
    This isn't a difference. The x64-based processor is reporting the bitness of the processor. The Type x86-based PC is referring to the processors architecture.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to High Sierra For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-05-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12