2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help uploading a file and inserting code to message

Hi, I haven't been on WS for a while and have forgotten how to post code - on the message there used to be an icon to insert code but I can't find this - also when trying to upload a file I just get the timer going round and round and can't click on Add File - I would be most grateful if someone could help me as I have a question I would like to post to the forum.Many thanksShelley

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,070 Posts
    We used to be able to do it but a lot of features have been lost after the extended outage earlier this year. Hopefully someone will have a work-around for you.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't have a problem with uploading attachments, so can't help you with that part. I couldn't upload last month, but now I can (see example below), so I think the forum's programmer(s) may still be working on things. Who knows if it will ever get back to the way it was.

As for posting code, however, there is a workaround you can use.

There used to be a HTML formatting menu above the editing text box, but I no longer see it. I think the "HTML code is off" indicator at the bottom of the page is related, but there's currently no way to change the setting. However, even though there is no HTML formatting menu, it seems the editing box still accepts the HTML codes if you type them in manually.

Specifically, to enter text formatted as code, surround your code content with the [code ] ... [/code ] tags.

(Note: I have deliberately added a space before the closing brackets so you can see the tags, but when you enter the tags in the editing box do not include any spaces within the tag brackets. By me adding the space, the editor does not recognize it as a valid tag and displays it as is. Take out the space, though, and the editor will interpret it as a tag and apply the formatting to your text.)

Here is an example:
    Code:
    This text is being typed inside [code ] and [/code ] tags.
    Similarly, you can use [b ]...[/b ], [i ]...[/i ], and [u ]...[/u ] tags (without the spaces) to bold, italicize, or underline text.

Do not use the "Quick Reply" box when manually entering HTML codes. Instead, use the Advanced editing box and use the "Preview Post" button to check how your post's formatting is going to look before you submit it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    To upload attachments if you don't have the toolbar click on Go advanced. A bit further down teh page (in Addition options box) there's a manage attachments button. Click that and you will be able to add attachments (seemingly up to three, I haven't tested more). You won't see them until you click preview post.
    Hope this helps! It also helps if you click the upload button (which I omitted to do when testing this - doh!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Such fun!" - Miranda's mother

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    "HTML code is off" indicator at the bottom of the page…it seems the editing box still accepts the HTML codes if you type them in manually
    Not pertinent to the OP's problems, but fyi just in case: HTML code isn't allowed on most forums, for security reasons. What's commonly used is BBcode, see "BB code is On" below. Your CODE tags are BBcode. It's quite similar to a small subset of HTML, main difference being BB uses square brackets [&] around its tags, whereas HTML uses angle brackets. If you click "BB code is On" below, it'll launch a page with info re all the available codes & short explanations & examples.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    There used to be a HTML formatting menu above the editing text box, but I no longer see it.
    Today I find that the formatting menu is back again. (I'm using Edge.)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady-Laughsalot
    Hi, I haven't been on WS for a while and have forgotten how to post code - on the message there used to be an icon to insert code but I can't find this - also when trying to upload a file I just get the timer going round and round and can't click on Add File
    There's been a flurry of fixes over the last few days, including file attachments now working again.

Click on the Go Advanced button:
    go-advanced.jpg
    Click to enlarge

You should see the Wrap [CODE] tags button in the editor toolbar.
    wrap-code.png
    Click to enlarge

Note that there's still a problem with the Lounge skin. The WIN skin is definitely working properly again. The 'skin' dropdown selector is bottom-left of the page:
    wsl-skin-dropdown.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...