Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Would you like to attack those "several tech issues" with us?
    cmptrgy: At the risk of confusing things, I note that IreneLinda has posted about the following issues:

An FTP issue.
    A Macrium Reflect issue.
    ..and the CCleaner issue in this current thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    As for the other tech issues, I am using this Lounge and its fabulous supporters to tackle each of them: an ftp issue, a Macrium Reflect rescue medium test issue and this one.
    Last edited by RockE; 2018-05-11 at 13:56. Reason: clarification
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-05-11)

Thanks
    IreneLinda

Don't Clean the greyed out entries if you don't know what they are.
    They are greyed out for a reason. Some you may have unchecked yourself, the others are greyed out by default. A user then can opt to check the entries (or not) to add them to the cleaning process.
    My reference to these entries was just meant to be an informative reply. I apologise if you and others have misinterpreted my posted words.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda, I wasn't aware of the other posts: you are already addressing those various issues and that is very good.
    I have tried to duplicate your CCleaner issue by investigating some other settings but no luck there.
    Moonshine's latest recommendations look like they are worthy to follow-up on.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might already know this but just in case it hasn't been verified yet, can you verify that CCleaner is at least doing it's job to clean what its supposed to be cleaning?

Here is an example on my computer

Original analyze clean items
    CCleaner Analysis Complete.JPG

Follow-up analyze clean items to verify CCleaner is doing its job.
    CCleaner Analysis Complete followup.JPG

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestion, cmptrgy...and one of my tech issues is solved, thanks to these Loungers (Macrium Reflect and USB drive). I did try your suggestion just now and CCleaner analyzes just fine. I'm now going to try Moonshine's one by one approach and will post back.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, something is very weird.

I right clicked the first entry in the list, as per Moonshine's suggestion. It was IE Temporary Files. When I clicked Clean, I got the "this will delete these files" message. When I clicked OK, the earlier error message (see post #27 for screenshot). came up.

Windows never does suggest a solution. Do you know what I can try next? Should I remove CCleaner, upload again and re-install? Or...?

Linda

Thanks
    Yes, remove your version of CCleaner and download another up-to-date version.
    If that fails, remove, and locate, download and try an older version > https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Note: Stay clear of v5.33.6162 - it had problems.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/news/releas...-windows-users

It has been sorted now.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great news to report: couldn't get latest version to work. Read some reviews of it on filehippo which suggested others were having the same issues. Many suggested going back to v.5.40.6411. So I uninstalled the current version, cleaned out all its bits with UltraFileSearch; then, downloaded v.5.40.641. Miracle of miracle, it worked perfectly!

One final question: would you suggest I stay with this version or upgrade to the one just before 5.42?

Thanks so much for all your help and support through this issue. I am delighted to have it solved thanks to this Lounge!!

Linda

Thanks
    Broadly speaking, it is perhaps advisable to use a most recent version that is available. If that is problematic, for whatever reason, try the next version down and so on till you have a version that works for you.
    Piriform, I'm sure will have another, newer version out soon, so the advice I would give is to try the newer version when it's available, and see what happens.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -Moonshine- View Post
    Piriform, I'm sure will have another, newer version out soon, so the advice I would give is to try the newer version when it's available, and see what happens.
    Thanks, Moonshine. I'll wait for the next upgrade and give it a go. At least I know there's one that works, if it doesn't.

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda you might want to consider using CCleaners official site.
    Although this is my opinion, I don't like using filehippo anymore or settle for an older version of an application if I can help it.

Go to www.ccleaner.com
    You will see
    CCleaner official site.JPG
    It's only part of the full page of CCleaners official site
    Save it to your favorites
    When I know or am notified that there's an up date for ccleaner, that's where I update from
    As usual watch for anything that needs to be unchecked such as Avast

Yesterday I did a ccleaner update on a computer that wanted to use filehippo and I didn't like an almost full screen add for some download
    --- I don't recall what it was as I just closed out filehippo altogether.
    I did the above procedure on that person's computer
    Had to uncheck Avast
    Ran CCleaner
    The owner was impressed because he claims it was faster from ccleaners official site vs. filehippo's.
    I told him the next time ccleaner shows there's an update available, close it out and go to the official site in favorites.

See if that process works for you.
    If you don't like it, you can go back to filehippo although I'm not in favor of using filehippo
    I just noticed that on ccleaner's official site, it's possible to select v5.41 instead of the latest v5.42 if you want to try it

I also just noticed v5.42 mentions Improved Edge cleaning etc.
    --- Maybe ccleaner focuses on Edge and other browsers are dependent on that's happening but I would still try to get ccleaner to work from it's official site.
    --- Plus I do not whitelist filehippo cookies
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-05-17 at 09:28.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2018-05-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Great news to report: couldn't get latest version to work. Read some reviews of it on filehippo which suggested others were having the same issues. Many suggested going back to v.5.40.6411. So I uninstalled the current version, cleaned out all its bits with UltraFileSearch; then, downloaded v.5.40.641. Miracle of miracle, it worked perfectly!

One final question: would you suggest I stay with this version or upgrade to the one just before 5.42?

Thanks so much for all your help and support through this issue. I am delighted to have it solved thanks to this Lounge!!

Linda
    Thanks for this thread I’ve been fighting the latest version of CC since 6-3 and am very pleased this older version 5.40.6411 worked. I reinstalled my 5.42 version and was still getting the same action of CC closing after I hit clean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Thanks for this thread I’ve been fighting the latest version of CC since 6-3 and am very pleased this older version 5.40.6411 worked. I reinstalled my 5.42 version and was still getting the same action of CC closing after I hit clean." This certainly is a great thread and I've enjoyed every post in it.

However, on CCleaner why use Filehippo? If those complaints are still happening, I believe something else is going on. Please try the process mentioned in post #41.
    --- Maybe I got out of the Filehippo process just in time before the issues mentioned above but I do know that using CCleaners official site hasn't resulted in any issues not only on my computers but also on family members computers and at the Senior Center where I volunteer and I've lost count of how many computers on which it works on w/o any problems.
    --- As the computer world isn't perfect like anything else and there usually isn't a one-size-fits-all I suspect it's worth checking out the CCleaner official process.

Thanks
    Just to add my 2 cents, when I get the notice that a new version is available I click on it and go to the site and click the "No Thanks" button for the professional version. I then go to the top of the page and click the arrow next to Downloads and click on CCleaner which for some reason bypasses FileHippo and gives me the D/L from the source.
    It works for me, hope this helps.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    dohmixer, glad this helped you! I imagine you were as frustrated as I trying to get CC to behave and clean!

I'm going to try the suggestions of cmptrgy and lumpy95 as well to see if they will work...but I'm going to keep the older version on my computer until I'm successful! ;-)

Linda

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IreneLinda For This Useful Post:

dohmixer (2018-06-07)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast