Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Dave, I suggest you try the steps in post #102 and let us know the results. I had assumed that chkdsk had finished successfully when you ran it previously. Since it did not, that could be a portent of issues in installation.

If chkdsk finishes completely following the steps in post #102, since you've used Macrium to recover, I need to find out where we stand on the other issues before we proceed.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-05-22 at 07:12. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    I'm having a difficulty time. Srarted running the commands in #94.
    Got into the Command Prompt from the newly created USB installation. Had to use the D:
    Did all the bootrec commands, but could not restart. I'm not sure how to get out
    of Command Prompt, I just closed the window and click on Continue to get back into Windows 10.
    The correct way to exit Command Prompt in any situation is to type

exit

and hit Enter. That properly releases all handles and closes the Command Window.

Then the blue screen messages:-
    Repair your computer. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, W'll restart for you.

Recovery
    Your PC could'nt start properly.
    Error Code 0xc0000001.
    That you had to use D: means that your System Reserved partition doesn't have a letter assigned to it, and it can't be addressed by Command Prompt without an assigned letter.
    Had to use Macrium again.
    That means we need to find out where we are again.

Not sure if I'm exiting the Command Prompt in the correct manner.
    Do I need to remove the USB stick first?
    No, you don't need to remove the USB stick, just type exit as I described above.

When I press F7 to enter Boot options it shows:-
    Pioneer DVD
    Toshiba DT01ACA100 (C)
    Toshiba (thumbdrive)
    I select the Thumbdrive and enter, is this correct?
    Yes, that is correct.
    Do I need to go into "Boot Options" later at all?
    Yes, you very well may. We'll have to take things a step at a time again.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-05-22 at 07:35.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Since you've recovered using a Macrium Backup, do this:

Get back into DISKPART by booting from the installation media. Insert your USB stick and reboot, then using F7 select the USB stick from the boot menu. Go through the familiar procedure to get into the Command Prompt then get into DISKPART. After you get the DISKPART Prompt, type

list vol

and hit Enter. Note the volume number for the volume labeled System Rese (the full label was truncated in your screen snip; it is System Reserved). In your snip it is Volume 1, and it should show up the same now, but make sure you use the correct number as shown in DISKPART Volume.

You need to assign a drive letter to that volume. Be certain you have the correct volume number, then Type

sel vol 1

and hit Enter (if 1 is the correct volume number). Next type

assign letter=v:

Diskpart should say that it has successfully assigned the drive letter.

Now exit DISKPART back to the Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt, type

v:

and hit Enter. Your prompt should now look like

V:>

Then type

cd boot

and hit Enter. Your prompt will look like

V:\Boot>

Then, run the following commands one at a time, letting each complete.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Next type

exit

and hit Enter. Then boot into Windows.

Let us know how that goes.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-05-22 at 07:34.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren , have a gig problem, my TB Toshiba hard drive is suddenly making a loud noise
    and won't bootup.
    I have installed the old Seagate Barracuda which only has 43GB free space. Will this be enough
    space to run all the commands and Update?

If I get a new Hard drive can I just install it and run a Macrium System backup to get it going, without doing
    a clone which got messed last time I tried?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    bbearren , have a gig problem, my TB Toshiba hard drive is suddenly making a loud noise
    and won't bootup.
    I have installed the old Seagate Barracuda which only has 43GB free space. Will this be enough
    space to run all the commands and Update?

If I get a new Hard drive can I just install it and run a Macrium System backup to get it going, without doing
    a clone which got messed last time I tried?
    I was beginning to suspect something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I had assumed that chkdsk had finished successfully when you ran it previously. Since it did not, that could be a portent of issues in installation.
    Yes, you can get a new hard drive and restore your Macrium image. FWIW, I never use cloning; I always restore a drive image. Get yourself a new drive and get your PC up and running, then get back with us to let us know how it is.

Unleash Windows

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678