Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will go and buy an 8GB USB Thumbdrive. All I have is a 4GB.
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which is the best link to download the MCT from?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    Which is the best link to download the MCT from?
    Thanks
    The Media Creation Tool link in post #90. The blue font means that it is a link.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I will go and buy an 8GB USB Thumbdrive. All I have is a 4GB.
    Thanks.
    Get back into Command Prompt by booting from the newly created USB installation media. The "bootrec" commands you need to use are only available in the Recovery Environment.

In the Command Prompt, type

v:

and hit Enter. Your prompt should now look like

V:>

Then type

cd boot

and hit Enter. Your prompt will look like

V:\Boot>

Note: the Recovery Environment may not recognize "V", it may have temporarily assigned it's own drive letters to the partitions. If you get an error message that V can't be found, Try D (which will probably be your optical drive), then E, and so on until you get a Prompt using that letter.

When you get a prompt with a drive letter, type

dir

and hit Enter. If that command shows

<DIR> Boot

you're in the right place to proceed with the rest of the instructions. First type

cd boot

and hit Enter, then go through the following commands one at a time, letting each complete.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

If all those commands complete successfully, restart, then open an elevated Command Prompt and launch DISKPART. Type

list vol

and hit Enter. Type

sel vol 1

and hit Enter. When DISKPART says that the volume is selected, type

remove letter=v

DISKPART should show success. Exit DISKPART, then type

bcdedit

and hit Enter. Save a snip of that screen, but don't exit Command Prompt.

Next type

chkdsk /r

and hit Enter. You'll have to restart for the command to run. After it completes, run

sfc /scannow

from an elevated Command Prompt. After it completes, save a snip of that screen.

Open Device Manager, click on View, then Show hidden devices in the drop down menu.

Next, expand each Device category one at a time by clicking on its dropdown. If the expanded view shows any faded devices, right click on each faded device and click Uninstall device. What I mean is that the device to uninstall will have the same icon as similar devices in the category, but that icon will have a faded color compared to the others.

Some Device categories may have none, some Device categories may have several, some Device categories may consist only of faded devices (USB drives that are no longer attached). Uninstall every faded device in every Device category.

Next open an elevated Command Prompt and type

cleanmgr /sageset:01

and hit Enter. A dialog box will open for Disk Cleanup Settings.

The button on the lower left, "Clean up system files" may or may not be there. Scroll through the options and put a check in every box. Click on OK. Don't exit the Command Prompt.

Next, type

cleanmgr /sagerun:01

and hit Enter. The disk cleanup utility will go through your system searching for and deleting unnecessary files.

Open Settings > Update & Security > Recovery and under Advanced startup click on Restart now. Click Troubleshoot and Enable safe mode. The Pc should restart in Safe mode; sign in as a member of the Administrators group.

In Safe mode open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download in the left pane. Click on the Download folder in the left pane, then delete everything in the right pane. Don't delete the Download folder itself, just the contents of the folder.

After emptying that folder, restart, sign in as a member of the Administrators group. Then click on the link below:

https://aka.ms/wudiag

Click on Open in the download prompt.

You will get the following dialog box that will present you an option to run Windows Update Diagnostics:

click on Next and follow the prompts.

Post those saved snips and the chkdsk log file as you did before. If those look normal you can proceed.

Click Start and type

msconfig

then right-click Msconfig.exe and select Run as administrator. You'll get this:

Click on the Services tab, as shown.

Down on the left, put a check in Hide all Microsoft services, then click on the Disable all button on the lower right. Next click on the Startup tab, and you'll see this:

Select Open Task Manager, and you'll see something like the following; yours will be different based on your startup programs/apps:

For each entry in the Startup tab, right-click it and select Disable. After you've disabled all the entries, close Task Manager. On the Startup tab, click OK, then restart the PC.

Unplug any connected devices, including printers, even though they may be turned off. If your internet connection is via WiFi, disable your WiFi. If you are connected via ethernet, unplug the ethernet cable.

Restart the PC, then after it has completely booted, insert the newly created installation media. Open File Explorer and browse to Setup.exe in the installation media, right-click and select Run as administrator. When the setup routine starts, close the File Explorer window.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would need to change the boot order in the BIOS for the USB?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, when I run the chkdsk /r it gets to 100% and just keeps like this,
    how long does it do this, and do I need to stop it and get the info from Event Viewer- winnit.
    Thanks

Thanks
    If chkdsk hasn't completed by now, stop it (click the red X at the top right of the window), restart your PC, open an elevated Command Prompt and run it again. You'll be advised to restart in order for it to run.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not running chkdsk /r presently, I'm just asking from what happened previously.
    Thanks

Thanks
    I am not running chkdsk /r presently, I'm just asking from what happened previously.
    Thanks
    Typically I let it run until it completes. Did it complete after you posted your question?

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After I let it run yesterday, at 100% complete, it just kept hanging for a long,long time.
    Eventually I just stopped it, so I'm not sure of the results in winnit in Event Viewer.
    Must it run for hours because I must run it according to the new list you sent.

Thanks

Thanks
    I would need to change the boot order in the BIOS for the USB?
    You should be presented with a "Boot options" menu when the computer first boots. On my PC it is F10, it may be different on yours. I would use that rather than change the boot order. Insert the USB stick, then select the Boot options menu, then select the USB stick to boot from.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    After I let it run yesterday, at 100% complete, it just kept hanging for a long,long time.
    Eventually I just stopped it, so I'm not sure of the results in winnit in Event Viewer.
    Must it run for hours because I must run it according to the new list you sent.

Thanks
    Try running it from your installation media. Boot from the installation media, get into Command Prompt, then type

c:

and hit Enter. Next type

dir

and hit Enter. If the results look like your C: drive (which they should; the installation media typically labels the system drive as C: ) then type

X:

and hit Enter. Next type

chkdsk /r c:

and hit Enter. Chkdsk should begin from there.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,033 Posts
    See if SetUpDiag can help.
    Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2018-05-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The message received is attached. The Registry only shows >NET Framework 4.0. So
    I'm not sure.

Update 1803 23.png
    Last edited by DaveBRenn; 2018-05-22 at 02:06.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567