5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop.ini / GetPrivateProfileString

In folders that are created by one of our vendors, there is a desktop.ini that is more complex than the standard INI file that can be written/read with VBA System.PrivateProfileString. The value of the key has more than 255 characters, so I use the Windows API GetPrivateProfileString to read the value of key "elements", as shown below. (I have forced the line to wrap for this post.)

I want to get the value of "database". I have success reading the full value of key "elements" and then parsing the string to get "US001". I'm wondering if there is a more direct way to get the value of "database" without parsing.

Does anyone know if this is possibe?
    Thank you.

[dms.elements]
    elements={"workspace_profile":{"author":"ADMIN","c lass":"DOC","create_date":"2017-06-09T21:30:15.000Z","database":"US001",
    "default_security":"public","doc_number":"11343807 ","edit_date":"2017-06-09T21:30:15.000Z",
    "operator":"ADMIN","owner":"ADMIN"}}

Thanks
    Yes, it should be possible using a regular expression to do string searching because "database" appears be unique in the example you've shown.

Unfortunately I have zero experience in using RegEx in VBA (and very little in AHK where I've used it to identify MAC addresses and GUIDs in gobs [technical term ] of text).

For example, here's a one-liner in AHK to identify the pattern I want:

Code:
    Text =
    (
    Here is some random text leading to the
    the text I want 23f6-a08c-0000-32ff-0290 which
    just appeared
    ) 

RegExMatch(Text, "(.{4}-){4}.{4}", Match) ; This is the AHK one-liner that does the business... all the rest is fluff
    MsgBox, % Match
    Result:
    RegExMatch_result.png

Have a look at VBA RegEx: How to Evaluate and Use “Regular Expressions”.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-05-03 at 18:39.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much. It's helpful to know about this VBScript add-in. I can get the results I need with InStr and Mid statements. I've written a function that requires only 3 lines of code. I'll stick with that as it's easy for others to read who might not be familiar with RegEx. I'm grateful for your response.