Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't think I could laugh about this after so long, but thanks to you, BHarder, I did...out loud and each time I re-read your post! Just found the string and am on the hunt for 2 appropriate cans!!

RockE, your Wikipedia article and list of companies is excellent...and a real eye opener. I believe a number of additional sites (eg. SiteGround) have been purchased by them as well.

As for hosting service research, I read a quite reasoned and objective article and its linked-to article on InMotion. He also included a short quiz to help user determine possible host based on needs.

Obviously, need to do more investigation and ask questions of possible choices. Not looking forward to switching providers, but know I'll be glad to have one who actually offers support!!

Will post back both ultimate decision and how the switch over goes.

Huge thanks for everything...no one can say we - the Lounge and I - didn't try!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Johuan, glad it helped!

UPDATE: well, it took a while since site transfer was something new for me, but it's done. I decided on InMotion Hosting, primarily because of their US-based phone support and their support of WordPress.

I know it's early days, but I am absolutely delighted with them so far. The transfer of 3 sites went smoothly, with all kinds of support available when I needed it. Since then, I've been on the phone with tech support several times with lots of different and varied issues. Each time, I was treated as if I were important to them. Wow, what a treat! The reps are polite, professional, knowledgeable and go out of their way to help.

All my connection issues via ftp/Filezilla or admin panel on our sites have been solved...proof that the fault, dear Brutus, lay with our former host!

My only regret is that I didn't make the switch months ago, as soon as the former host stopped providing US-based phone support. Dragged my feet because it seemed like too much of a hassle to switch. Yes, it took some time, but I've got ALL the site updates we'd been waiting on done in a week after fighting with our former host for the whole of May because I couldn't connect to their server.

Thank all of the Loungers who tried valiantly to help me through this. As always, I learned a lot and am immensely grateful for all your help.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting back.
    Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123