4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation AVG Free changes from Free to Trial on its own

I've been using AVG Free Antivirus for years and haven't had much problem with it until today. Yesterday I did what I thought was a routine program update on it (manually as I always do) and everything went as usual, I rebooted, and all was good. Today, I tried to scan a file and this is what I got:

AVG Change.jpg

Is this crazy or what! I've been manually updating AVG Free for years and never encountered something like this! The systray icon still has a little pop up that tells me I still have AVG Free and I'm protected. So now I can't get to the main AVG Free dashboard that lets me run scans, etc., and if I try to right click on a file to scan it, I get this same dumb window or whatever it is. It looks like they've changed the main avgui.exe program.

I've been hearing good things about Malwarebytes. Maybe I should dump AVG and go with that? Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks for listening.

Thanks
    If you want to continue to use AVG Free:

See https://support.avg.com/SupportArtic...pportType=home

Switch to AVG AntiVirus Free:

Open Start - Control Panel, and then click Programs and Features.
    In the list of installed products select AVG, and then click Uninstall.
    Click the option Switch to AVG AntiVirus Free. An AVG installer will run, downgrading your AVG to a free version.
    Wait for the installation to finish, and then restart your computer.
    Your AVG will run as a free version now.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as Malwarebytes goes, it can be installed as a trial (for two weeks) after which you either have to pay for it or it becomes the "free" version. You can use the free version to run scans but other than that it's passive; it won't prevent issues. I think most people run it as an adjunct to another AV product; it coexists nicely with most of them...but I wouldn't rely on it as my only anti-malware product, especially the free version.

I believe the free version will run a scan on its own once a month. I purchased it many years ago when when they were offering "lifetime" licenses so I run it alongside Windows Defender (on Windows 10).

Rob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, this didn't work and now I realize why - I'm not trying to "switch back to AVG Free", I already have AVG Free. Something really got goofed up for me to get the window in the screen shot above. Take notice of the fact that "AVG Antivirus Free" is in the upper left hand corner of that screen shot. And my systray icon is telling me that I still have AVG Free and it's working behind the scenes.

They're telling me that "Your AVG Internet Security Trial has expired". But I never had that to begin with, I had AVG Free! It appears that the only thing I can do is totally uninstall my AVG Free, download and install it again, and risk the same thing happening again. Not a happy thought.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rob, I already have the old free version of Malwarebytes which I run once a week as a double check. I thought I had read that the Premium (pay for) version of Malwarebytes was as good as an antivirus program.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Thanks Rob, I already have the old free version of Malwarebytes which I run once a week as a double check. I thought I had read that the Premium (pay for) version of Malwarebytes was as good as an antivirus program.
    Malwarebytes thinks it is.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1147

And then there's Bleepingcomputer:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...ebytes-enough/

If you're running Windows 10 and you want to pay for MBAM, I'd suggest running it alongside Windows Defender.

Rob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday my AVG Free Antivirus corrected the flaw by itself and I now have the correct main dashboard screen and I can run scans, etc. I checked and I have the correct update installed too. So all seems to be good at present. Just thought I'd let you know in case this happens to anyone else.