5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migration from Office 2003 to Office 2010

It is time I started to migrate a multitude of Word and Excel documents, and Access and Outlook, from Office Pro 2003 to Office Pro 2010. No Powerpoint is involved.

I have an end-user licence and my first question is whether I can have both versions on my PC at the same time so I can work on the inevitable migration issues over time ?

This is particularly important for some large spreadsheets, littered with VBA modules, that will be needed every day but may take some time for me to migrate.

And are there any general tips as to how to set about / where to start this task ?

Many thanks in advance,

Martin

PS Running Windows 7 SP1 and will be for some time to come
    Last edited by MartinM; 2018-05-13 at 16:58.

Thanks
    You can have both versions installed (except for Outlook). Uninstall Outlook 2003 first, then perform a custom installation of Office 2010.
    There are issues - see Microsoft's recommendations are incomplete regarding Word - see http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm for further recommendations with regard to shared resources that are better not shared.
    Excel works better also if its startup folder is not shared.
    In the case of Excel I would relocate the contents of the (Excel 2003) XLSTART folder to a new sub folder of the existing XLSTART -The start-up folder location is stored in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Xlstart
    Set the value to match the sub new folder name e.g. Office11XLSTART. That should sort out Excel 2003. Create similar sub folders and registry entries for each Office version i.e. Office12XLSTART & Office14XLSTART as appropriate.
    I only use Word, Outlook and Excel so cannot comment on compatibility issues with other elements.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Mayor For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2018-05-14)

Thanks
    Make a copy of your Outlook pst file and you should be able to import it into Outlook 2010.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2018-05-14)

Thanks
    Installing Outlook 2010 should find the 2003 PST file, provided the default location has not been changed - and can open it if it has.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Mayor For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2018-05-14)