Star Lounger
    Thanks

Photos from mobile phone micro-SD card

A friend handed me her Motorola Moto G4 XT1625 phone and asked me to work with some photos she'd taken. She did not give me the charge/transfer cable, but she told me the photos were on a micro-SD card in the phone. I don't have a card reader, but I put the card into an adaptor, slipped it into my Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and connected the camera to my MacBook Pro (13", 2016). I then used the Image Capture app to copy photos about 50-odd photos into DropBox. So far, so good.

I told my friend that I did not see a particular photo that she wanted me to print. We've concluded that the missing photo may be on the camera's internal memory and that she had taken the photo without the SD card present. So I looked deeper by simply opening the SD drive in Finder (without using Image Capture). I found a few more photos that way, but still not what I was looking for.

Next, I disconnected the camera from the MacBook and turned on display mode in the camera. To my surprise, the camera screen reported "No valid photos to display" (or words to that effect). That's question number one: If the card has photos on it, and the camera will pass those images through to my computer, why won't those photos display on my camera screen?

And then ... I connected the camera to a Windows laptop and found about 250 photos (but still not that one photo that we were looking for). There's question number 2: Why did I find more photos on the same card by using the Windows machine? This isn't a crisis, by the way—I'd just like to understand what's going on behind this behavior.

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,060 Posts
    The flash card is just a FAT32 disk (most of the time) and you can read it with a laptop that has a flash card reader - mine has.
    Cameras write to theses cards using a (mostly) standard structure, but there is no guarantee a particular camera will read files written by another.

When you connect the camera to a PC it is up to the camera to tell the PC what is on the card, again there is no guarantee the camera will report all files or that the computer will recognize them as pictures - Mac vs Windows.
    To see all files on the card you need to put the card directly into a computer with/via a reader.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I suggest that every time you find some photos on the card, that you move them to the computer, which will remove them from the card in the process. If you look at the card again and find more photos (like what seems to be happening in your situation), move all of the newly-found photos to the computer.

My thought here is that as you clear some photos away, you will be able to find more. At the very least, you won't have to keep sifting through the same photos, wondering if you have looked at them yet.

And try different ways of accessing the photos -- plugging the camera into a Windows computer via a USB cable; plugging the camera into the MAC Book via a USB cable; removing the SD card from the camera, and plugging it into both the Windows computer and the MAC Book with an SD card reader. By using different methods, you may be able to get more photos off of the card.

Once you have completely cleared all photos off of the card, then go through the photos on the computer.