4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet explorer connection issues

I'm setting up an old computer (Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP SP3) to give to my grandson, but I'm having issues with Internet Explorer (version 7.0.5730.1315).
    I can connect to most web sites with no problem using IE, but there are many that generate the following message: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Among the most likely causes (according to the message): "You are not connected to the Internet" and "The website is encountering problems."

However, on the same computer at the same time, I have no trouble connecting to these sites using Firefox (version 52.8.0 32-bit).
    I have a very strong internet connection, and the website is obviously not having problems.

I ran Windows Update (which, by the way, uses IE) and brought everything up to date with no problems.

Any ideas why about how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Assuming you did all the usual stuff (delete the browser cache, cookies, history and so on), it's likely that many webpages are no longer compatible with IE7. Try updating to IE8; I'm surprised Windows Update didn't offer it to you.

Having said all that, you'd be better off with Firefox; I'm typing this on Windows XP and FF ver 42, the last version of FF that works on XP without any issues; later versions (up to about 50-ish) will work, but slowly on old hardware, I find.

Mozilla FTP site

Thanks
    As it's an old laptop and running XP with all its issues, why not convert it to Linux. There's plenty of them and mots will run on older kit. Start a new thread on the non MS OSses forum and there will be plenty of help and advice for you.
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 808 Posts
    What are your grandson's needs, i.e. what will we want to do with the laptop? I have to agree with access-mdb, providing his needs can be met by a suitable Linux distro.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Similar thing happened to me with old pc running xp with latest upgradable IE *for* XP browser/s.

From what I undertood, check Internet Otions/Advanced and scroll down the tick boxes till you see the TLS range
    If you don't have TLS 1.2, then you won't get on some web pages.
    Problem is, TLS 1.2 is not available for XP.
    XP won't suppport the later verion of IE that supports TLS 1.2.
    Win 7 and onwards does.

So I upgraded my computer entirely to Win 7 Pro by doing the footwork at pawn shops etc. ( cos they have to let ya play with their PC's hoping ya buy it. Where in fact I was probing IE Options.)

As I was reading through all this searching for a " XP sneaky fix", I read some where that TLS 1. 3 ( I think ) is not far off, and Win 7 might not support that either when it happens.
    Point I'm makling is, do consider not spend big on a Win 7 just to get the browser to work with TLS 1.2 in IE Options.

What is this TLS all about ?

Mr Google can explain

https://searchsecurity.techtarget.co...r-Security-TLS
    WHY DO WE NEED TLS 1.2?
    The latest PCI compliance standards require that any site accepting credit card payments uses TLS 1.2 after June 30, 2018. Even though you have some time before TLS 1.2 is required for PCI compliance, most internet services are moving to require support of TLS 1.2 earlier. Services such as PayPal, Authorize.net, Stripe, UPS, FedEx, and many others already support TLS1.2, and have announced that they will eventually refuse TLS 1.0 connections. This means your safest action is to upgrade to TLS 1.2 sooner than later to avoid disruption.

Thanks
    If you go with Linux, I highly recommend Elementary OS. I put it on an old computer, and it runs well. I've tried lots of Linux distros on that computer, and the best one, both from a speed perspective and a bug-free perspective, is Elementary OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If you go with Linux, I highly recommend Elementary OS. I put it on an old computer, and it runs well. I've tried lots of Linux distros on that computer, and the best one, both from a speed perspective and a bug-free perspective, is Elementary OS.

Thanks, will check it out, do have a few old pc's.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE's a lost cause since XP only supported IE8. I use (occasionally) Firefox but mainly use Iron Browser (a Chromium variant) but even it's not been updated for 2 years or so now (but works and I like it). I keep Firefox for sites that appear not to work in Iron since it's still being patched until this August. Inevitably, I'll have to use Ubuntu as my sandbox, but I like XP since Sandboxie works (but it's been nearly 6 months since SBIE has been updated for XP users and there is no plans to continue support for XP). XP users (and that includes me) still have to face the fact that we choose to use an OS that no one wants to support. Just wish M$ would open source XP, but they won't.