Thanks

Keyboard Layouts: Dvorak or Colemak, anyone?

It's been on my very long finger for decades to give Dvorak a go sometime. This BBC article Our stubborn reluctance to change keys reminded me, and introduced Colemak which I'd never heard of.

Any English-language typists here use anything other than QWERTY? How is/was it?

Links:

Is it actually worth switching from QWERTY to Dvorak or Colemak? - good Reddit thread.

Remapping Keyboards to DVORAK and COLEMAK in Windows

Alternative Keyboard Layouts Explained: Should You Switch to Dvorak or Colemak? - How-to Geek, useful comments.

Colemak

Minimak - "provides 60% of the benefit of Dvorak by switching just 4 keys"

TypeMatrix 2030 keyboard - ergonomic, switch layout, straight key columns, vertical Enter & Shift

My reading of the links suggests that if you use different computers, then don't switch from QWERTY, since you'll be lost on others' computers—assuming it's not practical to carry your custom keyboard around & change it in Windows settings everywhere. If you mostly use one keyboard, it's not a slam dunk but definitely worth considering.

ETA Jim's reply reminds me that one of the links mentioned that on-screen keyboards are currently mostly/all QWERTY, so obviously that's an issue for all happy texters.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-05-25 at 19:34. Reason: ETA
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I have thought about this issue for a long time. I would never want to switch from QWERTY to anything else, because then I will be stuck using a keyboard layout that is found almost nowhere. QWERTY is on 99.99% of all computers, slider cell phones, and everything else you can think of. I have never seen any other English language keyboard layout on any computer. Therefore, I will stay with QWERTY.

Besides, I can type really fast in QWERTY.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    QWERTY is on 99.99% of all computers, slider cell phones
    Thanks Jim, I added an ETA above re the mobile problem.

I guess it's like Esperanto, RSS, DAT tapes etc — too much inertia in the network effects of the entrenched solutions.

Seems like the most practical might be the Minimak 4-key—they also have 8-key and 12-key, latter claiming 83% of Dvorak advantage. The 4-key would mean you could retain QWERTY ability for when needed, while gaining 60% of Dvorak.

I have never seen any other English language keyboard layout on any computer
    I guess the ideal hardware would be a backlit keyboard, with a physical switch to toggle between layout choices, which would illuminate the keys of the layout chosen. Expensive, since it would presumably need 2 lights under each keycap, shielded from shining thru the 'wrong' characters.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read somewhere that old typewriters (early 1900's) were built with the DVORAK key layout. Typists got so good and could type so fast that the mechanical typewriters couldn't keep up and would jam. The QWERTY key layout was invented to slow typists down so as to help prevent the jamming.

Of course with the advent of electric typewriters and computer keyboards, the QWERTY layout was no longer needed, but it had become the accepted layout and continues to this day. If you can type fast on QWERTY, you could really fly on DVORAK had you learned it in the first place and it was brought back into popularity.
    I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Typists got so good and could type so fast that the mechanical typewriters couldn't keep up and would jam. The QWERTY key layout was invented to slow typists down so as to help prevent the jamming.
    Yes, that's what I've read too. QWERTY is designed to make it nearly impossible to type words without having to leave the middle row of keys—this movement off the 'natural' horizontal placement of the fingers slows typing. Only 'A' of the vowels is in the middle row, and 'T' [2nd most frequent letter in English, after 'E'] is also in the top row.

If you've ever wondered why computer keyboards have offset or staggered 'columns' of letters—ie 'S' is offset to the right of 'W', and 'X' right of 'S'—that's also a throwback to 100+yo design. It was so the mechanical levers under the typewriter keys would have clearance from each other. Afaik there's no good reason why computer keyboards can't have the more efficient vertical layout of the TypeMatrix KB in my OP.

Pity the poor Slovaks with 46 letters in their alphabet!

Fyi the frequency of letter usage in English is somewhat debatable, but a good approximation is:
    ETAOINSHRDLCUMWFGYPBVKJXQZ
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Actually, QWERTY was invented to evenly distribute the keystrokes on a mechanical typewriter.

I guess the ideal hardware would be a backlit keyboard, with a physical switch to toggle between layout choices, which would illuminate the keys of the layout chosen. Expensive, since it would presumably need 2 lights under each keycap, shielded from shining thru the 'wrong' characters.
    The problem here is that a fast typist doesn't look at the keyboard; it will slow them down to do so.

Thanks
    Actually, QWERTY was invented to evenly distribute the keystrokes on a mechanical typewriter.
    In that case, why is it that so much more work is done by the left hand than the right in QWERTY? Surely distributing the keystrokes would require even typing load on both left & right, rather then the approx 10x load on the left hand.

The problem here is that a fast typist doesn't look at the keyboard; it will slow them down to do so.
    True. The purpose would be so the user could function adequately with hir secondary layout when needed.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post

Fyi the frequency of letter usage in English is somewhat debatable, but a good approximation is:
    ETAOINSHRDLCUMWFGYPBVKJXQZ
    ooo ooo good to know if you are gonna be on the Wheel of Fortune !!

BTW the issue was not to slow down typists but to keep the keys from jamming together. Keys pressed that are too close will jam.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    In that case, why is it that so much more work is done by the left hand than the right in QWERTY? Surely distributing the keystrokes would require even typing load on both left & right, rather then the approx 10x load on the left hand.
    The idea was to make the mechanics of the typewriter work better, not to make the typist have an easier go of it.

Thanks
    To learn more of why the QUERTY layout exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    The idea was to make the mechanics of the typewriter work better, not to make the typist have an easier go of it.
    Keeping the machine from jamming IS gonna make it an easier go for typists.

as an aside I recall with the formula my teacher used I had a negative typing speed in high school, I think that means that given enough time I could erase all the libraries of earth.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Keeping the machine from jamming IS gonna make it an easier go for typists.

as an aside I recall with the formula my teacher used I had a negative typing speed in high school, I think that means that given enough time I could erase all the libraries of earth.

Probably not with a typewriter...
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio