New Lounger
    Thanks

special characters dir name

Hello!!
    I installed File server resource manager to prevent the use of special characters in the file name. It works!!
    I can do the same for folder names?

PS I'm sorry for my English

Thanks
    You can give it a try by creating a test folder.

But here is the problem you will face: Although Windows allows these special characters, it is very possible that some programs will not. Therefore, you may have problems using some of your software with files and folders which have special characters in the names. This would include websites which interface with Windows, such as webmail services, Google Docs, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to steer clear of special characters in file names. However in recent years I've noted that a lot of the old restrictions have faded away. Accuracy and other factors meant that I needed (and used) some previously forbidden or unavailable characters. For example:

' + & .
    So far so good! I do note that the colon and the slash characters are still strictly forbidden though.

Thanks
    Some of the special characters are "control" characters -- that is, when Windows sees them, they are treated as commands; they tell Windows to do things. They should therefore be avoided.

Here is a great document by Microsoft entitled Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces. Hat Tip to Retired Geek for first bringing this document to my attention.

One of the most interesting "non-standard" characters is the forward slash. According to an article I read, written by a Microsoft programmer, you can use forward slashes rather than back slashes when typing a path. I tried it, and it really works!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to exclude the apostrophe character '
    both in filename and in pathname