Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    tried tapping/holding down Esc key while booting, as well as f3,f5, f10, f12.
    F2, F8 and the Delete key are others commonly used.

I've never had good luck taking apart laptops, may try when I am ready to give up.
    Yes, that's how I learned a bit about 'em, last resort when trying to get bricked ones to work. I've always found a decent YouTube video for whichever model I needed.

HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook Disassembly | Teardown | Fan Cleaning
    Keyboard disassembly about 1:40 in, it's straightforward, just one ribbon.

HP Compaq DV7 DV6 Laptop Repair Fix Disassembly Tutorial | Notebook Take Apart, Remove & Install
    Keyboard disassembly about 5:10 in, also straightforward, two simple ribbon disconnections.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Turn off the computer. Hold down the Windows key + B and power on the laptop without letting go. While still holding down the Windows key + B, rapidly tap F2. That should get you into BIOS. If Fastboot is enabled, disable it. That is the likely source of all this difficulty.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I found an HP page that said to hold down Windows+B when starting, did not help.
    --- It could be Windows logo key+Ctrl+Shift + B.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...creen-problems

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Turn off the computer. Hold down the Windows key + B and power on the laptop without letting go. While still holding down the Windows key + B, rapidly tap F2. That should get you into BIOS. If Fastboot is enabled, disable it. That is the likely source of all this difficulty.
    Thanks for the idea, tried it but still no go.

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    --- It could be Windows logo key+Ctrl+Shift + B.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...creen-problems
    Thanks, but did not do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    F2, F8 and the Delete key are others commonly used.

Yes, that's how I learned a bit about 'em, last resort when trying to get bricked ones to work. I've always found a decent YouTube video for whichever model I needed.

HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook Disassembly | Teardown | Fan Cleaning
    Keyboard disassembly about 1:40 in, it's straightforward, just one ribbon.

HP Compaq DV7 DV6 Laptop Repair Fix Disassembly Tutorial | Notebook Take Apart, Remove & Install
    Keyboard disassembly about 5:10 in, also straightforward, two simple ribbon disconnections.
    I guess I'm ready to give disassembly a try. Thanks for the videos.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are there any beeps during startup?
    Is this your laptop? I'd like to see if it's possible to find its manual.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-dv7/specs/

I just recalled that one time last year an over-simplified solution on a Dell laptop for a black screen
    The owner didn't recall what he touched when all of a sudden, the screen went black.
    At first it was black on boot-up.
    I shut it down by holding the power button
    Started back up, waited 3 minutes or so, pressed the Enter key and it worked.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-06-25 at 06:33.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the issue occurred when the computer was going into sleep mode, maybe it isn't coming out of sleep mode since then for whatever reason.
    --- Is it possible that's why the display is black no matter what is tried?
    --- In researching for help for a computer that doesn't come out of sleep mode, I've seen recommendations to go into settings or whatever else I don't remember but how can anyone even attempt some of those ideas if the display is black?

I looked into my laptop's manual for sleep mode items.
    --- There are lights that are supposed to indicate if sleep mode is on, there are buttons that can be used to get out of sleep mode.
    --- Maybe the manual for your computer could be helpful in your situation and you could investigate that on another computer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-27)

Thanks
    I'd like to see if it's possible to find its manual.
    Here you go at ManualsLib, best place I know of to get manuals on anything.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-06-26),Vincenzo (2018-06-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lugh
    Page 20
    Item 1 Component: Power button
    Description
    When the computer is on, press the button briefly to initiate Sleep
    When the computer is in the Sleep state, press the button briefly to exit Sleep
    When the computer is in Hibernation, press the button briefly to exit Hibernation

Vincenzo, you can look for more references for sleep and hibernation throughout the rest of the manual.
    --- I’ve never had sleep issues but I don’t know how troubleshooting a black screen is helpful in order to get out of sleep mode.
    --- I’ve read fast boot can be an issue but a restart can be helpful because I guess it “bypasses” fast boot: unfortunately, I don’t remember the exact description.
    --- Maybe beep codes are included in the manual.
    --- I have thought of the possibility that when you swiped the touchpad, the pointer might have clicked on something that could be an associated cause of the problem: don’t know, but usually when I don’t want to let the computer kick into sleep mode, I use one of the directional arrows.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Page 21 of the manual seems to show F4 as a monitor key
    Try it.
    F4 key page 21.JPG

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-27)

Thanks
    Are there any beeps during startup?
    Is this your laptop? I'd like to see if it's possible to find its manual.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-dv7/specs/

I just recalled that one time last year an over-simplified solution on a Dell laptop for a black screen
    The owner didn't recall what he touched when all of a sudden, the screen went black.
    At first it was black on boot-up.
    I shut it down by holding the power button
    Started back up, waited 3 minutes or so, pressed the Enter key and it worked.
    That looks like mine, but my dv7 is a dv7-3165.
    I just tried waiting the 3 min and pressing Enter, did not help.
    There are no beeps coming from it at any time.

Since the issue occurred when the computer was going into sleep mode, maybe it isn't coming out of sleep mode since then for whatever reason.
    --- Is it possible that's why the display is black no matter what is tried?
    It is not still asleep. The fan runs when I press power, the power light comes on, and all the lights above the keyboard (the media playing functions) light up. Also if there is dvd in (I tried a bootable linux disc) it continually accesses it.

BTW in the front of the computer there is a hard drive activity light, it never lights now, but I can't really say I ever looked at before to see if it ever lit up. Kind of in a hard to see place.

Speaking of lights, just above the touchpad there is a small light that is on that I've never seen before. It is next a small pushbutton switch, so I assume it is a switch and indicator to turn off the touchpad. But seems odd that it is on now.

Page 21 of the manual seems to show F4 as a monitor key
    Try it.
    F4 key page 21.JPG
    Yes, I see F4 shows the monitor symbol. Good idea. But I just tried it (and function+F4) but did not help.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2018-06-27 at 16:41.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know Vincenzo I don't know if this could apply in your situation but it just dawned on me when a friend had her laptop monitor blacked out. It was an XP computer but here goes what solved it. You made me think of that story when I just went back and double-checked you couldn't even get into your setup. Anyway I personally made sure the computer was booting to a black screen, I don't recall if all of the "normal" activities appeared to be running. I shut down the computer. Removed the battery because she was complaining sometimes it doesn't work right: whatever that meant I didn't know at the time. I held the power button in for about 20 seconds. Opened up the panels on the bottom of the computer: reset the memory chips plus the HDD. Blew out "dust" in the open areas as well as the fan. I think you've already done all of that. But I didn't stop there. I replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one. Put everything back together. Crossed my fingers. Started the computer up and it booted up. Naturally the date & time needed to be corrected. Consider trying that.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-06-27 at 23:37.

Thanks
    When I had the back open I removed the cmos battery. I did not have a replacement around but I did check it with a voltmeter and it was up to full voltage.

Thanks
    +1 for that! good for many AV items too

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Here you go at ManualsLib, best place I know of to get manuals on anything.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Vincenzo, because you can't even get into HP’s pre-boot diagnostics because the screen is black I’m heading toward a video problem.
    Looking back, I saw Lugh’s comment in post #9.
    “Vincenzo, afaik all DV7s have a separate graphics card from nVidia or AMD, so that's also a likely culprit. Check its connections.”

In a few situations in which I’ve seen a laptop with a black screen, slightly tapping the “base” of the keyboard just under the display panel helped recover the display: I don’t remember the name of the part but one time I removed the part that connected the back of the display with the motherboard. Fortunately, it helped just by ensuring the wires weren’t getting pinched in there.
    --- On a couple of other computers moving the display panel back & forth and slightly swiping the back (top of the computer) was helpful. In one of the computers it was just a temporary band-aid, in another computer the owner told me it actually recovered after about 3 months and he’s still running that laptop.

Then I found this manual
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

This manual contains information on the internal & switchable discrete graphics
    Page 12/145 actually on page 4 Page 13/145 actually on page 5
    Unfortunately, I do not know how they interact or how to troubleshoot them.
    Here is a screen shot of a portion of internal & switchable discrete graphics product description among those 2 pages.
    Internal & switchable discrete graphics.JPG

Here is the Backlight in the display assembly on Page 136/145 actually on page 128
    Backlight section.JPG
    That's a replaceable part

OK I also queried “USB external graphics cards”. I don’t know if you’d be interested & seeing what’s out there, but I just thought I’d mention it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-06-30),Vincenzo (2018-06-30)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info.
    I'll try those ideas that don't require disassembly this weekend. Seem like good ideas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast