Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a few more ideas
    Trying to find a user manual for your computer is in the “black hole” area somehow.
    --- Maintenance and service guides are good but they don’t explain how things are supposed to work.
    Go to HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx Entertainment Notebook PC
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...121357/manuals
    In the upper right corner, you will see AC Power Cord Safety Recall.
    --- Post #5: bbearen mentions:” Don’t overlook the charger”.
    --- They might be different subjects, but I would still look into it.
    AC Power Cord Safety Recall.JPG

On the Internal graphics & switchable discrete graphics management which is another idea to follow up on and which would be nice to discover if it’s properly described somewhere and I would like to find out if the user manual would address troubleshooting situations like you have. I do have a basic idea of how they are supposed to work but an applicable user guide would be nice to have.
    In principle, I’m wondering if your computer was in discrete graphics mode when it started going into sleep. But then it attempts to automatically switch to Internal graphics mode but it might be locked up in discrete graphics mode.

Here are a few trial and error ideas:
    Try the external monitor one more time and then experiment with the F4 Key starting with fn+F4 at least a couple of times to see if gets to Internal graphics mode (Give it at least 1, maybe 2 minutes each time).
    If that doesn’t work, try the windows key + F4 similarly.
    If that doesn’t work, try your DVD boot disc with the monitor still connected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-07-03)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    In a few situations in which I’ve seen a laptop with a black screen, slightly tapping the “base” of the keyboard just under the display panel helped recover the display:
    That means a small sledge hammer, right, cause that's what I'm about ready to try.
    But I just tried tapping, massaging, and talking nice to it, no results.

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Here are a few more ideas
    Trying to find a user manual for your computer is in the “black hole” area somehow.
    --- Maintenance and service guides are good but they don’t explain how things are supposed to work.
    Go to HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx Entertainment Notebook PC
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...121357/manuals
    In the upper right corner, you will see AC Power Cord Safety Recall.
    --- Post #5: bbearen mentions:” Don’t overlook the charger”.
    --- They might be different subjects, but I would still look into it.
    AC Power Cord Safety Recall.JPG

On the Internal graphics & switchable discrete graphics management which is another idea to follow up on and which would be nice to discover if it’s properly described somewhere and I would like to find out if the user manual would address troubleshooting situations like you have. I do have a basic idea of how they are supposed to work but an applicable user guide would be nice to have.
    In principle, I’m wondering if your computer was in discrete graphics mode when it started going into sleep. But then it attempts to automatically switch to Internal graphics mode but it might be locked up in discrete graphics mode.

Here are a few trial and error ideas:
    Try the external monitor one more time and then experiment with the F4 Key starting with fn+F4 at least a couple of times to see if gets to Internal graphics mode (Give it at least 1, maybe 2 minutes each time).
    If that doesn’t work, try the windows key + F4 similarly.
    If that doesn’t work, try your DVD boot disc with the monitor still connected.
    I've gone as far as monitoring the dc voltage from the charger as it was sitting there trying to start, it stayed at a steady 19.49 volts. So the charger is good.
    Also tried F4 and fn+F4 a few more time.

I had previously tried the boot disc with the ext monitor attached.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand your frustration as I've been there many times.

Post #12 “I also just tried an external vga monitor, no help.” How old or new is it?

I like to mention a couple of personal experiences.

3 years ago, I serviced an HP computer laptop that was upgraded from Win 7 to Win10 but resulted in a black screen upon bootup. When I was checking it out, I tried ESC plus just about everything to did on yours w/o any success. I asked the owner if they had an external monitor. They had one of those bulky monitors they were using on their XP computer. With nothing to lose I tried and believe it or not it worked. I don’t recall the details but upgrading the graphics card for Win10 was an issue. The owner had no problems with my recommendation to return to Win7 and the computer still runs fine. If you can find one of those bulky monitors in good working order, try it out.

Another time a desktop computer (I don’t recall the make/model or the “modern” monitor) I had gotten as a donation was black screening upon bootup with none of the attempted fixes working. I had an older monitor https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00603942, HP vs19 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n CNC5341KMJ, August 2005) available and it worked. I donated that computer & monitor to a family that needed a working computer and I called them today. They told me it’s an HP but don’t know the model but it has been updated to Win10 and runs fine.
    Since those older monitors allowed VGA graphics it allowed me to set up their laptops to run properly.

---Now I’m wondering if your computer was trying to do WU’s and/or trying to update your graphics.

In addition, Post #27 “When I had the back open I removed the cmos battery. I did not have a replacement around but I did check it with a voltmeter and it was up to full voltage.” Sounds good: It appears to me it shouldn’t be a MB problem however I don’t know if it makes a difference but that isn’t under stress.

One more item consider: check out the Display lid switch board
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf
    Page 83/145: actually page 76.

EDIT: Use a flashlight next time you boot up the computer to determine if you can see a faint display even if it's for a few seconds. If you do, that's typically a backlight issue.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2018-07-05 at 17:53.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Vincenzo you might want to turn on your laptop and leave it on. July's WU 2nd Tuesday of the month are scheduled to be available beginning this evening. I know this is another longshot but I would try it and leave it on all day until at least Friday.

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas, but I've gotten busy so I have to put this on the backburner for a bit.

But I don't believe the computer is booting at all. There is no activity at all on the hard drive light, no hard drive sounds, and when I put a boot dvd in it keeps accessing it, which I interpret to mean it is trying to read the data but is not able to process the data.
    I'll check it in the dark next time to see if there is any light at all on the screen.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Vincenzo if you have access to another laptop, it might make sense to try your laptop HDD on that laptop.
    You could also connect your laptop HDD as an external drive on that other laptop computer.
    Those might be good ideas if it's possible to find if you can save your data.
    Others can chime in on this as I don't recall if trying a HDD with an OS on it on another computer is a good idea.

Thanks
    Others can chime in on this as I don't recall if trying a HDD with an OS on it on another computer is a good idea.
    That has always worked for me to get files from another HDD through an external USB connection, on W7 & W10. It doesn't see it as an OS just an external HDD.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-07-14)

Thanks
    The data is not an issue, it was backed up, and I've already copied it to another computer. I just really liked this computer, that's why I haven't just given up on it.
    And I had removed the hard drive just to see if it was dragging down the voltage and preventing boot up, but with it removed I still got nothing on the screen.

Thanks
    I think the next step has to be to take it apart, I'm just not finding the time for that kind of thing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to consider a laptop repair book with recommended procedures.
    As you take a the laptop apart, unless you see an obvious broken part, trouble shooting in an orderly manner should be the best approach to take. For example you already knew how to measure the CMOS battery, you would be able to move on to the next step that makes sense.

I don't know if this will suit you but search for The Laptop Repair Workbook: An Introduction to Troubleshooting and Repairing Laptop Computers.
    I was going to include the Amazon link for it but it took up probably as much as 6 lines and I don't know how to shorten it.

There are other similar troubleshooting books around and I hope you find something applicable to what suits you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know you've tried just about everything but please review this in before considering taking the laptop apart.

Summary 7/16/18
    Laptop does boot:
    “The fan runs when I press power, the power light comes on, and all the lights above the keyboard (the media playing functions) light up. Also if there is dvd in (I tried a bootable linux disc) it continually accesses it.”
    --- With the DVD in, pressing any (maybe even holding it in) immediately might help.

However, it only boots into a black screen: external VGA monitor doesn’t help.
    --- On the black screen is there a white flashing cursor in the upper left corner?

The USB thumb drive doesn’t help either but it might be because it needs to be set to be enabled in to do so along with its possible your system is on Fast Boot.

Since there aren’t any beeps at start-up, if your video card has failed I don’t understand why there aren’t any beeps. I know you tested the CMOS battery, but I would still snap in a new just the same.

“Also tried tapping/holding down Esc key while booting, as well as f3,f5, f10, f12”
    --- I just tried the following: Hold down the ESC before pushing the ON button and keep it held in.
    --- Hold down F10 before pushing the ON button and keep it held in.
    --- In each case I was able to get into the BIOS (I have Legacy BIOS)
    --- There are a lot of power options that probably would cause each one of my computer to have the same problem you are seeing as both of my computers are on Fast Boot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123