Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

HP laptop will not boot

My HP Pavilion DV7 Entertainment PC laptop (came with Win7, running Win 10 now) had started to go into sleep mode as I was sitting in front of it but I was not done yet so I swiped my finger on the touchpad to try to keep it awake. I've done this before without a problem.

But this time that seemed to put it into an odd locked up mode where the lights on the keyboard and the power light were on, but the screen was dark. After a minute or two I forced a shutdown and restarted but it came back up to the same place - a dark screen, never showed the HP logo or any post messages, no hard drive activity.

I've tried forcing shutdown several times. I've unplugged it and pressed the power button to let any residual charge dissipate (there is no battery in it), did not help. Tried booting it with F10, F12, F3 held down.

Seems hard to believe I killed it by interrupting sleep.

I think it has UEFI bios, but not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks
    Are you sure it's not locking up due to overheating? (Check with something like CPU-Z or Speccy).

What happens if you leave it to cool?

I remember having to take one of those models apart to clean and replace thermal paste due to overheating... something that a Google search (for pavilion dv7 overheating issues) suggests they are prone to.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-05)

Thanks
    I let it sit, off and unplugged with no battery in it, for a few hours, still does not even show a POST screen even though the power light goes on and the fan runs like it usually does at the beginning of startup.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I let it sit, off and unplugged with no battery in it, for a few hours, still does not even show a POST screen even though the power light goes on and the fan runs like it usually does at the beginning of startup.

Thanks
    Do it again but, next time, before you put the battery back in and connect mains power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. I know it sounds daft but I used this the weekend before to resurrect a supposedly dead HP dx2250 microtower and surprised myself when it worked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-05)

Thanks
    Don't overlook the charger. A couple of months ago I replaced my wife's laptop charger because even plugged in, the laptop was slowly dying. A couple of weeks ago, the same thing happened with my son's laptop, and shortly thereafter, my daughter's laptop died. A new charger resurrected it, and it's running just fine.

Two are Dell, one is HP. The one thing all three laptops have in common is that they are all almost the same age. Chargers are cheap; the most expensive of the 3 was less than $20.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-05)

Thanks
    Thanks Rick, but did not work.
    I found an HP page that said to hold down Windows+B when starting, did not help.
    I also tried reseating the RAM. And running with just one RAM module.
    Also tried removing the hard drive, still nothing.

bbearen,
    I will look into that. I may have a spare charger around here. Thanks

Thanks
    still does not even show a POST screen even though the power light goes on and the fan runs like it usually does at the beginning of startup.
    It's possible that the computer is actually running but the screen died or the video on the MB died. I went through all kinds of troubleshooting a couple of years ago with these same symptoms and it turned out to be the MB.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-06)

Thanks
    If you manage to get into Windows, I suggest you totally disable automatic sleep and hibernation. You can always initiate sleep and hibernation manually; but when the system is set to automatically go into sleep and hibernation, problems can somehow result, such as the one you are now seeing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I also tried reseating the RAM. And running with just one RAM module.
    Also tried removing the hard drive
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    It's possible … the screen died or the video on the MB died
    My limited experience of screens dying is that they deteriorate gradually, rather than dropping dead. Sudden death is usually a cable or connection problem.

Video on MB and the MB itself are possibilities. Look around the MB for any signs of burning, or bulging on components like capacitors—and of course look for loose wires and anything which might cause a short-circuit. If you can access the fans, clean off excess gunk—heat is the enemy, especially in laptops.

Vincenzo, afaik all DV7s have a separate graphics card from nVidia or AMD, so that's also a likely culprit. Check its connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo
    I swiped my finger on the touchpad to try to keep it awake
    Unlikely culprit imo, but just in case: if nothing else works, disconnect the keyboard—it's likely just one ribbon cable underneath the keyboard. Attach external KB & mouse and start up—you never know…

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    when the system is set to automatically go into sleep and hibernation, problems can somehow result
    I agree, I've seen that with my desktop once or twice. Seems to be connected to interrupting the beginning of sleep at just the wrong time.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I swiped my finger on the touchpad to try to keep it awake."
    I agree with the possibility "Seems to be connected to interrupting the beginning of sleep at just the wrong time."

At this point in time, I wouldn't use the battery yet unless you have found a spare charger that helps.

Since you have an HP, try to get into HP's boot-up diagnostics tests.
    Press ESC upon boot-up, I don't recall if it's time sensitive on how soon ESC should be pressed. I'm not on my HP computer right now but see if you can get through the applicable options available.

I do not know if this will work in your case but see if you can get into Advanced Startup Options. I know you have a black screen but there's nothing to lose by trying it. With the computer on, press the OFF button for a hard shut down. Since it will be considered an unexpected shut-down, Windows 10 is supposed to boot up into Advanced Startup Options after two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion. A couple of times I had to do that 4 times. If it works for you, go into Safe Mode and see if it works then.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-06-21)

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas.

I've tried esc in multiple scenarios, I tried numerous hard shutdowns one after another. Tried another PS.
    I have not taken it apart other than the RAM and hd that I can easily get from the bottom. I've never had good luck taking apart laptops, may try when I am ready to give up.

Thanks
    I also just tried an external vga monitor, no help.

Thanks
    When I put a boot disk in the dvd drive, I can hear it accessing the drive like it is trying to boot. It will do that continuously until I force the shutdown.

Thanks
    Have you tried booting from a USB thumb drive?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yes, that does nothing. Also tried tapping/holding down Esc key while booting, as well as f3,f5, f10, f12.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast