Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    You can install one internal hard drive. As long as the drive is physically small enough to fit into the drive space (2.5"), you should have no problem with a 240GB Sandisk, as long as you feel that will give you enough storage space. And based on the fact that you are using only 50 GB in your data partition, you should have no problem. However, if you move to a drive that is that small, I recommend that you store everything on one single partition rather than on two separate partitions; there just isn't enough wiggle room to put two separate partitions, each taking up a fixed amount of space. I suggest going to your local Best Buy and buying it there; if it won't fit, you can bring it back. But if it is 2.5", it will fit.

"ddr3 sdram"
    There are two DDR3 SODIMM slots in your computer. You can fill both of the slots with either 2 GB or 4 GB memory sticks. They don't have to match in capacity, and you don't have to fill both of them. So you can have any combination of 2GB and 4GB sticks resulting in a total of 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB of RAM. The type of memory which goes into your computer is "1333/1600 MHz DDR3 SODIMM". I would bump the memory up to 8GB, if it was me. This should give you a noticeable increase in performance.

Here are all of the tech specs on your computer:
    http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...uide_en-us.pdf

As far as how this will affect Memeo, you'll need to make a decision: either use Memeo only when you are at home and when you plug in the external hard drive; or put your Memeo archive on your one internal hard drive / SSD. If you use it only when you are at home, you won't have the Memeo "undelete" protection while not at home. If you put your Memeo archive on your one internal hard drive / SSD, you will have continual Memeo "undelete" protection. I suggest that you put your Memeo archive on your internal drive; then make sure you are doing regular backups to your external hard drive.

If you go with the Memeo archive on your internal drive, you may need to get an SSD which is bigger than 240GB.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2018-06-07 at 11:41.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Macrium on a regular basis, to back up my system partition and my data partition (which contains documents, photos, emails etc.) In addition, as a second layer, I use an XCOPY job to copy any new or changed files on my data partition to an external drive. A batch file, BACKUP_E.BAT, runs every 12 minutes as a scheduled task, and it runs under a different user who is not logged on, so I don't see it running. The XCOPY command looks like this:

start /wait xcopy E:\*.* N:\ /C /K /M /E /H /Y /R /G /EXCLUDE:C:\Utilities\Excludee.txt

Where the main switches of interest are /M. which says to only copy files with the archive bit set, and then to turn it off, and /Y which suppresses a prompt to overwrite an existing file. Works OK, very little impact.

Having separate system and data partitions is a contentious issue, pros and cons both ways, but on balance I think it's the way to go. The main reason for taking backups is to have the ability to restore if something goes wrong, and this includes not just individual files but the entire partition, if necessary. If something goes wrong with a system upgrade, for example, then it is relatively easy to restore the system partition from backup, without also reverting your documents etc. and losing recent changes.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2018-06-10 at 03:48.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-10),KenYoung (2018-06-18),OldMainframeGuy (2018-06-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bundaburra:
    Suppose I wanted to do something similar with my data in partition D:\ ,labeled Data?
    What would the batch file look like; and how would the xcopy be coded?

I would appreciate any help you would share in this regard.

Best,
    Dick-Y

PS,
    My user name on my system is: Richard (how original), and I would want to run the batch file under that name, if possible.

Thanks
    I only use xcopy for very specific tasks; for everything else I use Robocopy. I have a scheduled task to copy my Documents folder to my OneDrive folder every night. You can specify whatever time interval you like. For what you were saying you would use

C:\Windows\System32\Robocopy.exe D:\ X:\ /MIR /XJD /R:1 /W:1 /MT:64

In Task Scheduler you would set your timing under the Triggers tab, and under the Actions tab for the Action: drop down menu select "Start a program", and in Settings under "Program/script:" you would put

C:\Windows\System32\Robocopy.exe

and for "Add arguments (optional):" you would put

D:\ X:\ /MIR /XJD /R:1 /W:1 /MT:64

where D:\ is the source and X:\ is the target. You would replace X with your external drive's letter.

/MIR switch is to MIRror a directory tree.

/XJD switch is to eXclude Junction points for Directories.

/R:1 switch is for the number of Retries on failed copies: default is 1 million, and you don't want that.

/W:1 switch is for the Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds, and you don't want that, either.

/MT64 switch is to do multi-threaded copies with 64 threads (default 8; must be at least 1 and not greater than 128).

You can put a log file on your desktop if you like (I have one) that will be overwritten with each run by adding a couple switches.

/V /NP /LOG:C:\Users\Richard\Desktop\DataCopy.log

/V switch is to produce Verbose output, showing skipped files. All files that haven't changed will be skipped. You can leave that switch out, if you just want to know about changed file copies in your log.

/NP switch is for No Progress - don't display percentage copied. Of course, the process will be running in the backgrount rather than in a Command Prompt window, so progress wouldn't be seen, anyway.

/LOG:C:\Users\Richard\Desktop\DataCopy.log switch is to output status to DataCopy.log (overwrite existing log). I used "DataCopy" as a file name, you can change that to whatever suits you.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-10),KenYoung (2018-06-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to spell everything out the way you did. Your help is much appreciated.

Best,
    Dick aka Richard to his laptop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    bbearren:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to spell everything out the way you did. Your help is much appreciated.

Best,
    Dick aka Richard to his laptop.
    I switched to Robocopy because its structure is more simple than xcopy but more robust in execution. The command line switches

"D:\ X:\ /MIR /XJD /R:1 /W:1 /MT:64" actually amount to

Source : D:\
    Dest : X:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /S /E /DCOPY:DA /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /NP /XJD /MT:64 /R:1 /W:1

when Robocopy runs it. To get a complete list of the Robocopy options and switches open a Command Prompt and type

Robocopy /? > c:\users\richard\desktop\robocopy.txt

and hit Enter.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren:
    What you showed me works flawlessly for me . . . I think.
    My only remaining question is about the log file.
    When the scheduled task runs, the log opens with 1 line at the top showing the name of the log.
    When the task ends, if I open the log, there's no information saved in it.
    Should there be?
    Dick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Dick,

I use this command:
    Code:
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "\\MYBOOKLIVE\CMShared\%COMPUTERNAME%\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /XD "G:\BEKDocs\OneDrive" "G:\BEKDocs\diagnostics" "G:\BEKDocs\Images to Post" "G:\BEKDocs\Samsung" /IT /LOG+:G:\BEKDocs\Batch\BackupTasks\RoboCopyNAS.log
    Note the LOG+: you many want to add the + as this will append each run's log on the end of the file. Of course then you have to manually clean it every once in a while.

You should get a list of how it handled each file and a summary at the end:
    Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows                              

Started : Monday, June 11, 2018 6:15:05 PM
       Source : G:\BEKDocs\
         Dest : \\MYBOOKLIVE\CMShared\DELLXPS8920\BEKDocs\

Exc Dirs : G:\BEKDocs\OneDrive
    	    G:\BEKDocs\diagnostics
    	    G:\BEKDocs\Images to Post
    	    G:\BEKDocs\Samsung

Options : *.* /V /S /E /DCOPY:DA /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /NP /IT /XJD /MT:32 /R:5 /W:15 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newer     		   73889	G:\BEKDocs\RoboForm\Profiles\Default Profile\_user-data.rfo
    	    Tweaked   		     162	G:\BEKDocs\WPOA Files\Versions\Working Copy Backup\~$OA Access DB User Manual - Ver 10-2.doc
    	    New File  		  112053	G:\BEKDocs\RoboForm\Profiles\Default Profile\_gsdata_\_backup_\auto-backup-2018-0611-181436\_app-data.rfo
    	    New File  		   73889	G:\BEKDocs\RoboForm\Profiles\Default Profile\_gsdata_\_backup_\auto-backup-2018-0611-181436\_user-data.rfo
    	    New File  		  110357	G:\BEKDocs\RoboForm\Profiles\Default Profile\_gsdata_\_backup_\auto-backup-2018-0611-133534\_app-data.rfo
    	    New File  		   73713	G:\BEKDocs\RoboForm\Profiles\Default Profile\_gsdata_\_backup_\auto-backup-2018-0611-133534\_user-data.rfoWaiting 15 seconds...
    	    Newer     		 622.4 m	G:\BEKDocs\Outlook Data\Outlook.pst Retrying...
    2018/06/11 18:15:33 ERROR 33 (0x00000021) Copying File G:\BEKDocs\Outlook Data\Outlook.pst
    The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.  Because I had Outlook Open!

Waiting 15 seconds... Retrying...

Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
        Dirs :       932       928       929         0         0         2
       Files :      8721        44      8677         0         0        79
       Bytes :   8.057 g  781.48 m   7.293 g         0         0  21.227 g
       Times :   0:01:45   0:00:26                       0:00:00   0:00:27

Speed :            30994963 Bytes/sec.
       Speed :            1773.546 MegaBytes/min.
       Ended : Monday, June 11, 2018 6:16:06 PM
    HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2018-06-12 at 16:06.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably my bad, RG; but I don't see any Log+ in what you've posted here???

Dick

Thanks
    bbearren:
    What you showed me works flawlessly for me . . . I think.
    My only remaining question is about the log file.
    When the scheduled task runs, the log opens with 1 line at the top showing the name of the log.
    When the task ends, if I open the log, there's no information saved in it.
    Should there be?
    Dick
    Without the /V switch for the log, the only thing you'll get in the log will be a record of what changed file(s) was copied. The /LOG switch as I posted overwrites the previous log. My Documents folder contains 4.6GB of folders and files, and a verbose log is quite long, so I removed the /V switch after a couple of runs to make sure everything was working.

Here are two of my logs from two tasks, first:

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:00:00 AM
    Source : V:\Users\bbearren\Documents\
    Dest : A:\OneDrive\Documents\

Newer 12209 V:\Users\bbearren\Documents\MagnifyCopy.log

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
    Dirs : 480 480 480 0 0 0
    Files : 4372 1 4371 0 0 0
    Bytes : 4.616 g 11.9 k 4.616 g 0 0 0
    Times : 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00

Speed : 82493 Bytes/sec.
    Speed : 4.720 MegaBytes/min.
    Ended : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:00:01 AM

The only change was a log file in my Documents folder. Then this:

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:37:43 PM
    Source : G:\
    Dest : \\NAS\Files\Files\

Exc Dirs : System Volume Information

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
    Dirs : 2987 2985 2986 0 0 0
    Files : 17620 0 17620 0 0 0
    Bytes : 81.882 g 0 81.882 g 0 0 0
    Times : 0:00:01 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:01
    Ended : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:37:44 PM

There were no changes since the last time the task had run.

Are you seeing something like this?
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-06-12 at 16:58.

Unleash Windows

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-13)

Thanks
    Probably my bad, RG; but I don't see any Log+ in what you've posted here???

Dick
    It's there, Dick. Click the down arrow on the right side of the Code box.

Unleash Windows

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-06-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody. I am all set now.

Dick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12