Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Crucial RAM memory problem - Win7 Home Premium 32-bit

Hi all,

I have a very strange memory problem.

All of the memory installed on my MS 7093 motherboard that runs Win7 Home Premium 32-bit shows up on a Crucial Memory Scan, as is - slot 1 to 4 - 1GB - 512MB - 512MB - 256MB, which is under the 3.5Gb that a 32-bit version can use

However, Windows XP and Win7 both only see the memory in the 1st and 3rd slot - 1.5GB

I can swap the modules around but never get more than 1.5GB recognised by the system.

Attached are the results of the Crucial scan and the memory page from the motherboard's manual.

Regards,

Eric Legge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Crucial tells you that matched pairs are best. The manual indicates that if you elect dual channel operation that you should use pairs of 1 gigabyte modules.

The specifics of your actual memory modules can be revealed by Speccy (or other hardware analysis tools). I suggest the free version of Speccy.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Speccy-RAM-results.jpg

Thanks for the reply RockE. The image from Speccy should show above.
    I am none the wiser about my RAM problem, but I am wiser about Piriform Ltd,
    the developer of Speccy and CCleaner. You have to agree to Google's privacy
    policies before you can download the free version. Therefore, as suspected, Piriform is in bed with Google. I suspected as much when CCleaner introduced "intelligent" cookie management and system monitoring. If you don't uncheck the option to install Google Chrome, it is installed as your default web browser.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Legge View Post
    I am none the wiser about my RAM problem
    Speccy shows the 2.25gig you have installed, and also shows only 1.5gig usable in the "Physical Memory" section, so your problem is likely what RockE said—unmatched pairs.

RAM rules of thumb: Use matching modules from the same manufacturer in pairs, ie either 2 or 4 [assuming your motherboard has 4 slots]. That should work with all varieties of motherboards.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    If you don't like Speccy, try HwInfo Portable (perhaps).

It tells you more than you would ever want to know about your hardware.

PS I'm note sure what the manual's final line "Do not support three memory modules" actually means!
    Last edited by BATcher; 2018-06-09 at 00:56.
    BATcher

Talking to laser printers can be very effective.
    You just need the right toner voice...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BATcher, I'll try it. The "Do not support three memory modules" probably means that triple-channel mode is not supported. Chinese manual.

The problem is solved. The PC wouldn't boot past the logo, so I changed the CPU from an Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 3800+ to the original single-core 3000+. Unfortunately I changed the monitor as well. The PC worked but only recognized 1.5GB of the 2256MB installed. I bought an x2 4200 CPU on ebay. It booted to Win7 but then shut the system down. I examined it and saw three bent pins. I then tried reinstalling the 3800+ CPU and it booted and Windows recognised all of the memory in the 4 slots. Strange but true. Why would a single-core CPU make the system not recognise the memory in two slots. I have no idea, but the problem is fixed. Thanks for your help. Therefore, I only had a faulty monitor.

Thanks
    Now that the problem's solved, I feel more free to go slightly OT; I downloaded Speccy (again) and saw no reference to Google at all. Just sayin'...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tonyl, I uninstalled Speccy because of the privacy issues that I had to agree to.
    I definitely had to agree to Google's privacy policies and disable having Chrome installed by default as my default web browser.

I have just tried to reinstall it. All I get now is the following install screen. The tool just installs without any user input. The terms and conditions are given as links. No one ever reads them. Life is too short.

Speccy-install-screen.jpg

So it looks as if you only get the Google stuff the first time you install it. The Registry entry probably stays put.

I see that Piriform is now owned by Avast, the security company and the EU has introduced new privacy regulations that might have forced the change.

About new EU/UK data-protection law effective from May 25 2018 -

New EU/UK data-protection law requires online users’ permission to track them and collect their private information

https://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/blog...w-25-may-2018/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Go to Speccy - Builds and download the portable version. There is nothing to install. Just unzip it somewhere and run it. All the Piriform products have a "builds" page which has a portable version.
    Joe

Thanks
    All I get now is the following install screen. The tool just installs without any user input.
    Note the "Customize" link under the Install button. That usually means you can make some choices re the installation.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use CCleaner, also by Piriform, check its Cookies settings by following this click path - Options => settings =. Cookies. A window opens with these two choices - Cookies on Computer (removed when CCleaner is run) and Cookies to Keep, which CCleaners leaves. When I did that Google and other cookies were in the Keep side. I did not choose to keep them, so CCleaner's Intelligent Cookie Management must have. You can use the => <= to move them from one side to the other. I moved the Keep cookies to the other side and then ran CCleaner, which got rid of them.

Thanks
    The problem is solved. The PC wouldn't boot past the logo, so I changed the CPU from an Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 3800+ to the original single-core 3000+. Unfortunately I changed the monitor as well. The PC worked but only recognized 1.5GB of the 2256MB installed. I bought an x2 4200 CPU on ebay. It booted to Win7 but then shut the system down. I examined it and saw three bent pins. I then tried reinstalling the 3800+ CPU and it booted and Windows recognised all of the memory in the 4 slots. Strange but true. Why would a single-core CPU make the system not recognise the memory in two slots. I have no idea, but the problem is fixed. Thanks for your help. Therefore, I only had a faulty monitor.
    Perhaps you'd like to mark it as solved?
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would mark the problem as solved but there doesn't seem any option to do that.

Anyhow, my story continues:

Windows 7 fails after the memory increases to 3.5GB

Later on, I bought a 2GB kit of brand new Crucial RAM consisting of 2 x 1GB modules. I installed them along with the 1GB and 512MB modules that I had, making a total of 3.5GB.

The BIOS recognised the 3.5GB and the system booted all the way into Windows 7, but the system suddenly became unusable. A reboot also failed.

I tried the new modules on their own and Windows 7 booted properly, so I added the other 1.5GB and Windows 7 booted all the way but then became unusable again.

To fix the problem all I had to do was remove the 512MB module.

I am using a 32-bit version of Win7, which can only recognize a maximum of 3.2GB of memory. A 64-bit version can recognize all the memory that can be installed on the motherboard – 16GB+. Therefore, 32-bit Win7 won’t work if more than 3GB is installed. The extra memory above its ceiling must have made it become unusable.

Thanks
    For future reference, in regard to the Speccy view you posted (modified below), clicking to the left of each slot number will expand them showing additional data. This allows comparing timing and other parameters thus giving a perspective regarding why modules are potentially mismatched.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - - - - -

Thanks
    I would mark the problem as solved but there doesn't seem any option to do that.
    <snip>
    At the top of the thread, click Thread Tools, Mark as Solved. Only you, as the OP, can see it (and admins, of course).