Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64 keeps deactivating

For the last month or so, almost daily I get a message on the lower right side of the screen that Windows is not activated and to go to Settings and activate it. So I go to settings and it says Windows is not activated. I click on the troubleshooter and it immediately reactivates it. Then either later or the next day, the whole thing starts again.

Everything else seems to work OK. I did have a problem with Microsoft Office Word 2007 at the same time, but that turned out to be caused by Malwarebytes and their newest version fixed that. I have the latest Windows Updates, and I am not sure, but I think this problem started after the last one. The problem appears whether I am using a local account or Microsoft account.

I tried everything suggested on the Microsoft Community except repairing Windows. Since everything else works, I would rather not resort to doing that. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me.

Thanks,
    Sheila

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Beats me, but there are a couple of sites you may like to look at if you have not done so already:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...blems-3674336/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...ing-activation

By the way, that WMIC PATH ...... command in the second post does not work for me, but your Windows 10 product key can be displayed using the Keyfinder program SoftKeyRevealer.exe. Get it from https://sites.google.com/site/cakirbey/softkeyrevealer

When I run this, I see a display similar to the following:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Computer Name: xxxxxx
    Owner: user
    PID: 00326-10000-00000-AA278
    Key: aaaaa-bbbbb-ccccc-ddddd-eeeee (an alphanumeric key in the correct format)

I hope this helps, good luck.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2018-06-10 at 22:50.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

SoftKey Revealer.exe just gave a blank box when I ran it. However, using slmgr.vbs /dlv, (I tried to insert the image, but it keeps failing), but I have been told it shows that I have a retail copy. Windows says it is activated with a digital license.

Sheila

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked out the links, but they assume Windows can't be activated. That is not what happens to me. Every time it says Windows is not activated, when I click on troubleshooting, it does immediately activate Windows without asking me to do anything.

I'm guessing this is not a common problem...

Sheila

Thanks
    Have you run sfc /scannow
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How did you acquire Windows 10? Did you upgrade from an earlier version (Windows 7 or 8), or did you get a new machine with W10 pre-installed, or did you get a new machine and install W10 yourself? It "could" make a difference to the licensing arrangement.

In my case. with no issues like you describe, I upgraded from Windows 7 using Microsoft's free upgrade offer. Now, when I look at Activation, it says"Windows is activated with a digital licence", same as you, so what is different?

I'm surprised that softkey revealer just gives a blank box, because it is supposed to show anything which uses a software key, such as Microsoft Office and anti-virus, as well as the actual Windows product key. Are you clicking on "Scan" when it first starts? Assuming you are, and it still shows nothing, it could point to a wider issue on your machine, where software keys are not being recognised or registered properly. But don't ask me what !!!!

As a matter of interest, the Windows 10 key as shown in softkey revealer is not the same as the key on my original Windows 7 install disk, so evidently the upgrade process generates a new key.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2018-06-11 at 23:26.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila_c
    SoftKey Revealer.exe just gave a blank box when I ran it. However, using slmgr.vbs /dlv, (I tried to insert the image, but it keeps failing), but I have been told it shows that I have a retail copy. Windows says it is activated with a digital license.
    Try Superfly-Inc's ShowKeyPlus. It may be able to show any installed key and whether there's any OEM key installed in the BIOS. Note that you can click on the actual Installed Key data to disguise it and/or click on Version to toggle its display themes.

ShowKeyPlus.jpg
    Click to enlarge

(I ran ShowKeyPlus against SoftKey Revealer and they both showed the same Product ID but different keys.)

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who tried to help. I gave up and called Microsoft. After trying some of the same things that didn't work, they had me download and run the Windows 10 ISO file, and that did the trick. I didn't lose anything, and Windows is fixed. Something bad had obviously happened to mess up Windows even though my anti-virus and Malwarebytes didn't catch it. Maybe something I did. But now all is well.

Sheila