Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Replacement for Flash

Hope someone in this forum can help with this one...or suggest where I could go to find out. Adobe's site is useless.

We have an animated golf game quiz product created with a Flash template so we need to find a replacement.

• Is Adobe Animate an accepted HTML5 version of Flash?
    • Does it play on mobile OS?
    • If so, can I convert my current Flash files to Animate without programming knowledge?

Any other suggestions for ways to replace Flash...with limited knowledge of CSS and no knowledge of JavaScript?

Thanks for any advice. All the Googling we've done has just been confusing!

Linda

Thanks
    Wiki has a few suggestions for Flash to HTML5.

OpenFL is the only replacement I know of, it's basically open-source Flash. However, looks like it would need serious coding, beyond the limits you specify.

an animated golf game quiz product
    How about remaking it in one of the game makers which don't require coding? Simplest to complex:

Construct 2

GDevelop

Stencyl

Game Maker: Studio

Unreal Engine 4
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, Lugh, great suggestions.

You're right about OpenFL...likely too much coding, but I'm going to check it out anyway. I'd been wondering why this whole Flash thing hadn't been tackled by the superbly capable open source community. Really glad to know they've taken it on...even if in too complex a way for me!!

To be perfectly honest, I haven't heard of "game makers". Thanks so much for your progressively more complex list, complete with links.

Will post back once I've checked out all the information you provided.

Many thanks again,

Linda

Thanks
    Linda, if your product is more Quiz than Game, then maybe quiz-making software would suit you better. I don't know anything about the following quick search results:

Articulate QuizMaker

ProProfs Quiz Maker

Riddle Quiz Creater Warning: cutest kitty ever

Online Quiz Creator
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    if your product is more Quiz than Game
    Thanks again, Lugh, for taking time to search out some quiz links.

I have checked some of them before, but they don't work since our quiz is more a game. Users proceed around a virtual 9 hole golf course by answering sales skills related questions. Any templates I've found related to golf don't include the idea of advancing from hole to hole by getting correct answers. The original template designers, eLearning Brothers, did create an HTML5 version, but destroyed the game/advance feature and just had a series of quizzes on a golf designed page.

They will convert their old template for us, but the cost is prohibitive, ergo my search here!

Back soon with results from your original links. Will also check out a couple of your quiz ones that are new to me...just in case!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2018-06-15 at 09:28. Reason: Changed 'asking' to 'answering'

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Update for Lugh:

Have now checked all game and quiz links you provided. Good learning...now see our challenge more clearly: we need a combination of game and quiz that does not use Flash.

So you can see our challenge, here's a link. Click on the Play the Course image to play a round. It works best right now in IE with Flash allowed.

Thanks again for all your help, suggestions and support!

Linda

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Good learning
    Always a benefit, thanks for the follow-ups

Cute game. While they don't have the golf metaphor or animation [they use audio & video], yours reminds me of language learning courses. Have a look at the two best I've seen, Duolingo and Memrise—give 'em 10 minutes each and you'll see the similar idea of progress based on answers to questions. Duolingo is the more 'gamey' of the two—gamification is a design choice they made.

Gamification is a good area to develop skills in, it will become more and more important in all sorts of learning and achievement-oriented areas as the benefits of its principles become clear to decision makers.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for checking out our game...you can now see what we're trying to replace and why it's proving to be a bit of a challenge! Coping with enough Flash to edit the template was tricky enough for me.

Appreciate the further links on the language learning sites and will spend time with both of them; then, post back.

Thanks again,

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Update for Lugh...

Checked out the 2 sites you linked to. You're right: they both use the same basic methodology...answer a question correctly and move ahead. Just wish one of them sold golf templates! ;-) Also picked up a good site to use to learn a new language!

Thanks for all your help. It looks as if we're going to have to focus on the learning content (Practice) of our product since I can replace its Flash content myself (with enough time). Play will have to wait until we can get it programmed with updated graphics and the same "play virtual golf to refresh your sales skills" approach.

On the other hand, any brave soul who will still allow Flash on their computer can make use of the whole product...at least for a little longer.

Appreciate all the time you've spent helping us out with this issue...huge thanks!

Linda