Thanks

I need to read the registry file on another computer.

I had a Win 7 machine crash. I took it's hard drive out, and placed it into an external drive enclosure. Now I can read it's contents just fine with my Win 10 machine. So, is there some way I can open the registry file on the external hard drive? There's some program data in there that I need. (Software license stuff.)

Thanks all;
    Artie

P.S. I tried this: "regedit /v J:\Windows\System32\config\software" and got this warning:

Reg_warning.jpg

Obviously, I don't want to add the old Win 7 registry to the new Win 10 registry. Is "regedit" the wrong tool? (J: is the old hard drive.)
    Last edited by Artie; 2018-06-13 at 14:11.

Thanks
    You have to load regedit, then load the hive, get the information you want, and then unload the hive. There's a good tutorial here. It's for Windows 8, but the process is basically the same.

Thanks
    Thanks Tony. I was just about to post that I found that webpage, and am now reading the old registry. Thanks.

Thanks
    Wow! I can't believe this actually worked. I was able to dig into an old registry. Find an old license code, (for a program and company that no longer exist.) Import the registry value, and voila! The software runs on my new computer. Yeehaw!

Btw, this was Syntrillium's old Cool Edit program. They were bought out by, and became, Adobe Audition. I have the Audition upgrade, but it requires that it "see's" the registered version of CE first. I'm up and running.

Thanks

Thanks
    Another good piece of registry software: Resplendence's Registrar Registry Manager; I mention it because a free version still exists -- unless they changed policies recently.
    It is much more powerful than Windows Regedit; For beginners+, I would advise extreme caution when using it; use only after making a couple of OS partition backups or at the very least a couple of tweaking.com's registry backups [which also has a free version].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Thanks
    Thanks Roland. I'll check that out.