Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Check the state of System Restore in Group Policy. Open gpedit.msc and navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > System Restore and check the state of "Turn off System Restore". If it is "Not Configured" that is the correct setting. The following is a statement of the policy:

"Allows you to disable System Restore.

This policy setting allows you to turn off System Restore.

System Restore enables users, in the event of a problem, to restore their computers to a previous state without losing personal data files. By default, System Restore is turned on for the boot volume.

If you enable this policy setting, System Restore is turned off, and the System Restore Wizard cannot be accessed. The option to configure System Restore or create a restore point through System Protection is also disabled.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users can perform System Restore and configure System Restore settings through System Protection.

Also, see the "Turn off System Restore configuration" policy setting. If the "Turn off System Restore" policy setting is disabled or not configured, the "Turn off System Restore configuration" policy setting is used to determine whether the option to configure System Restore is available."

Also, some "Windows Tune-up" utilities have been know to interfere with System Restore. Do you have any such utilities installed?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Attached state of System Restore in group policy.
    system restore 8.png

What sort of things do I look for in Windows Tune-up?

Thanks
    If you have one of those tune-up utilities installed, uninstall it, reboot, and try System Restore again. It has been my experience in dealing with other folks computer problems over the years that those types of utilities are much more baggage than benefit, and sometimes downright harmful.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2018-06-24)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What tune-up utilities do I look for. What would be an example of these?

Thanks
    I'm talking about a utility that you have downloaded and installed yourself, I'm not talking about any of the built-in Windows maintenance tools.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No I have not downloaded any utility.

Thanks
    You've tried most of the known fixes for this issue to no avail. At this point it wouldn't be unreasonable to either restore your most recent drive image, or do the in-place upgrade again with your USB installation media.

Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2018-06-24)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doing the in-place upgrade again with the USB installation media won't bring up the problems we
    had installing the upgrade to the version 1803? That was quite a marathon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    Doing the in-place upgrade again with the USB installation media won't bring up the problems we
    had installing the upgrade to the version 1803? That was quite a marathon.
    I don't think so, since you're already upgraded to 1803, it's more like an in-place reinstall.

Of course, restoring a drive image would take less time than the in-place reinstall. That depends on how recent the image is, and what, if any, data you might lose.

Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2018-06-24)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My last full Macrium backup was the 3rd June, so I won't lose much data if any.
    The updates of the 12th June will need reinstalling.
    I'm not sure when this system restore error first came from, so will use this backup image and see
    what the result is.
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Restored the Macrium drive image, which has resolved the problem.
    I just wonder what suddenly caused this problem.

Many thanks again Bbearren for all the help.

Thanks
    It's hard to beat a good recent drive image. Glad it worked for you.

Unleash Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12