Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, Zig,
    Thank you this is really informative and giving me food for thought. I too only use my ‘C’ drive for the OS and programs, but with a couple of exceptions:
    1. VMWare virtual machines are stored on the C drive.
    2. All downloaded (unpackaged) executable software installation files are stored on the C drive.
    I guess if I revisited these, I could move both these over to my personal data HDD (‘D’ drive). The virtual machines (I have about 7), take up a significant amount of space. I have nowhere near the amount of software installed as you Zig.

From memory, I recall reading in some Windows Secrets newsletters a few years ago that there are some disadvantages to having a SSD as opposed to a traditional HDD. I don’t remember what they are now, but I do remember reading the articles at the time and thinking that I wouldn’t make the move over to them.

I am interested to hear your views (and other peoples) on SSD. Are there any disadvantages to these that I need to be mindful of? Is there any particular specification I should look out for and make sure I get, if I were to buy one?

By the way Zig, nice Start Menu. Do you have the free version?

Many thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    My apologies. I don't know what happened there. Try How To Create Macrium Reflect Bootable Rescue CD/USB.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks Rick. Very informative.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I have a LOT of programs installed
    Good golly, Miss Molly

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Miller View Post
    I recall reading in some Windows Secrets newsletters a few years ago that there are some disadvantages to having a SSD as opposed to a traditional HDD
    SSD is a fast-developing technology, so info from a few years ago is probably out-of-date now.

Wiki has a nice SSD v HD chart with lots of detail. I think the main SSD disadvantage is cost/GB.

Is there any particular specification I should look out for and make sure I get, if I were to buy one?
    I'm not up-to-date on the situation this year. If I were buying, I'd have a look at the top-rated comments from verified purchasers on Newegg & Amazon—the 2-star & 4-star are often the most useful pro & con reviews.
    Then I'd read a few articles from reputable places, such as:

PC Mag

Anandtech

Tom's Hardware

PC World

cNet
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mark,
    I'm using the PRO version of Start Menu X, which I got from a free site (Giveaway of the Day or BitsDuJour), but the free version works almost as well. As you can see, I'm a little bit of a software junkie, with many programs to try out "when I get around to it."

I can't think of reasons not to go with an SSD. You must turn off defragging for that disk (many programs do that automagically), and make sure you've got the right sort of interface for the drive (PCIe preferred, but SATAIII will do nicely if you don't have a suitable MoBo and don't want to install an adapter card). I'm a Newsletter subscriber also (rethinking that recently), and don't remember anything in the last several years to dissuade me from SSDs. I'm on my 3rd, having an older one in my old (Win 7) computer, and installed one in my wife's box (computer, I mean). I WOULD suggest 240 GB as a minimum, but she's happy with 128GB. SSDs are happiest (run quickest) with a fairly large percentage of free space. Generally, your system will run faster with ANY SSD than with EVERY HDD.

Lugh & I don't want to twist your arm or anything, but...

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2018-06-28 at 12:50.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Wiki has an outdated (2012) SSD v HD chart tested over USB3, with lots of detail, SATA 3 speeds would be ~double those. I think the main SSD disadvantage is cost/GB.
    I corrected that for you

I think the Crucial MX500 250 or 500GB (CT250MX500SSD1) strikes a good balance currently. SSDs smaller than 180/240 would have slower write speeds, 64GB and smaller would be much slower on reads and writes and would also likely face issues with W10 in the future when it's time for the 6-monthly 'upgrade', just not enough space on them for longer term usage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-07-08),Vincenzo (2018-06-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I corrected that for you
    Are you sure? I know you're 'the man' for hardware, but I assumed current when I saw info about 2016 & 2018 in some of the cells. With hindsight, I suppose that doesn't mean ALL cells are current.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I'm sure:- look at the chart and details, SATA II speeds for a fast SATA III (for 2012).

There's still a lot of ancient/wrong info about SSDs that gets regurgitated on a boringly regular basis, at least the guy who ran the tests was clear about how the test was done. Why it was used by Wiki there is a mystery, it's so misleading.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Wavy,
    I'm running Windows 10 with Start Menu X 6.11
    Zig
    Thanks Zig! Does look a lot more appealing that the WX 'menu'
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    SSD v HD chart with lots of detail. I think the main SSD disadvantage is cost/GB.
    Leading SSDs have overtaken HDDs for reliability,[95] however the risk of a sudden, catastrophic data loss can be lower for HDDs.[140]
    I what always makes me think twice, having said that I try to do regular backups of my SSD.
    Not a deal killer but something to be aware of, HDD tend to give more warning when they fail from what I have read.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    You might also consider a Seagate SSHD Hybrid drive. I've got two in my desktop PC approaching 4 years old, and I've been well pleased.

I have a 256GB SSD in my laptop, and an mSATA 120GB SSD in my DIY NAS, and they are quick, but the SSHD is almost as quick, and the $/GB is much lower. My NAS and my desktop have the same motherboard and CPU, and there isn't that noticeable a difference between the two.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since my last post I did a bit of googling to try and jog my memory on what it was that I’d read about SSDs that had put me off. SUCCESS...it was about them wearing out. “SSDs wear out over time (each cell in a flash memory bank can be written to and erased a limited number of times).” Admittedly I read about this some years ago and hopefully the technology has moved on since then.

Thanks
    The SSD Endurance Experiment

Yes, they do wear out...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Mark_Miller (2018-07-09)

Thanks
    Since my last post I did a bit of googling to try and jog my memory on what it was that I’d read about SSDs that had put me off. SUCCESS...it was about them wearing out. “SSDs wear out over time (each cell in a flash memory bank can be written to and erased a limited number of times).” Admittedly I read about this some years ago and hopefully the technology has moved on since then.
    That's the reason I keep a current clone of my SSD. I update it monthly in case of failure.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Mark_Miller (2018-07-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavy
    always makes me think twice, having said that I try to do regular backups of my SSD.
    Not a deal killer but something to be aware of, HDD tend to give more warning when they fail
    Yes, that's why I wouldn't keep data on a SSD. Just OS & programs, which can be restored from your most recent image to a replacement drive.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-07-06 at 18:51. Reason: clearer phrasing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast