Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Not using an SSD because it may fail is like not going to the shops because it may rain. It will happen at some point, so you take precautions, like a regular backup.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, Mark, what was the final decision and result??
    Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your contributions. I really appreciate it.

Last Friday while at work I spoke to a colleague in our I.T. department about SSDs life. He told me that out of 400 PCs/laptops across the company that have been fitted with SSDs, only 2 have so far failed. All the SSDs are currently 3 years old.

Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere, I have decided to get an SSD drive. I am currently thinking about getting a Samsung MZ-7KE256BW 850 PRO 256 GB 2.5 inch SATA III

I will update this thread with how I get on transferring my 'C' drive over to the new SSD. I will also provide boot times of what I get now vs what I get with the new SSD installed.
    Last edited by Mark_Miller; 2018-07-09 at 16:42.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 820 Posts
    I've never regretted changing multiple 'spinners' to Samsung Evo 850 Pro's in both Win 7 and Win 10 devices.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I've never regretted changing multiple 'spinners' to Samsung Evo 850 Pro's in both Win 7 and Win 10 devices.
    Thanks. That's reassuring to know.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I maximise the performance and life span of a SSD? Do I actively need to do anything or will Windows 10 Professional auto detect it is an SSD and maintain it using the TRIM function? I've checked whether my system has TRIM support enabled, and it does.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 10 should do it, if your MoBo has TRIM support. Make sure any defrag programs are turned off for the C: drive.
    Zig

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should not do anything to make your disk faster or last longer, Windows will do it all for you. What you should do is perform a regular backup, as you would for a spinner.

To confirm TRIM is working see this thread.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1026300

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Windows 10 should do it, if your MoBo has TRIM support. Make sure any defrag programs are turned off for the C: drive.
    Zig
    Zig, how do I know whether my motherboard has TRIM support? I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I bought the PC in 2011.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    To confirm TRIM is working see this thread.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1026300

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul, however this thread talks about how to check that the TRIM is working for an SSD that is already installed in your PC. I’m not at that stage yet. I don’t really want to folk out for an SSD if it turns out my system won’t be able to maintain it.

I’ve followed the instructions HERE about checking whether TRIM is enabled, and the answer is yes it is. Is there something else I should be checking as well?

Regards, Mark.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TRIM is not a motherboard / controller feature, it's a Windows feature and has been around longer than your mobo. Windows has supported TRIM since mid Windows 7.
    Those instructions don't tell you whether TRIM works, just whether it should work. See my link for the correct method.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was Zig's comment 'Windows 10 should do it, if your MoBo has TRIM support' that has confused me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Additionally, if you are running Windows 10 don't worry about defrag as long as you are using the built-in defrag. Windows will detect the SSD and make adjustments to defrag. There is still efficiency adjustments that defrag makes for SSDs.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What confused me was a report from Hard Disk Sentinel on my wife's computer (running Win10) two weeks ago saying "TRIM is supported but not enabled" on her SSD. I just rechecked, and saw that it now says "supported and enabled." Sorry for the comfusion.
    Zig

Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, but how do you break up windows system files to get only 100 gb? I tried with a 126 and had only 20 gb left. For example, even after moving my documents from the User directory on C, I still had 12gb in user, under Public and Default. I'm moving to a 256gb ssd shortly, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast