Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,061 Posts
    20GB free is enough if you keep an eye on it. Have you deleted temporary files etc - try CCleaner?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris Guilmette View Post
    how do you break up windows system files to get only 100 gb?
    Win10 sys files amount to ~20GB. However, you need much more to cater for the extra space required during major Win10 upgrades—perhaps the same again, ie another 20GB free.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris
    I still had 12gb in user, under Public and Default.
    Yes, I have 13GB in Users too.

I assume you don't have any virtual machines or big games on C:, so it's a mystery how you could be using up an extra ~65GB. On C:, do you have:
    Loads of large videos?
    Bucket loads of audio files?
    Wagon loads of images?
    Lots of Restore Points?
    3-4 disk images of C: stored on C:?

WinDirStat is a neat utility to see where your space is being consumed. Give it a spin, it should clear up the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris
    I'm moving to a 256gb ssd shortly, but I have no idea how to set it up.
    Post a new thread about it in the Hardware forum and we'll guide you.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Harris Guilmette (2018-07-12),satrow (2018-07-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Moving from a small SSD to a larger one can be done using the clone software provided by the manufacturer of the new disk. Once the clone is done you shutdown the machine, swap the new disk for the old disk and re-boot.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Harris Guilmette (2018-07-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife runs Windows 10 just fine on a 128 GB SSD with a fair number of programs installed. You can change the default "save" location for Documents, Pictures,Videos and Music to your D: drive safely. Bbarren has a more aggressive strategy, but I haven't needed to go that far.
    Zig

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Harris Guilmette (2018-07-12)

Thanks
    Folks... just a suggestion but let's try to keep on-topic or create new threads with different questions?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I initially set out on this journey to explore how to upgrade my C drive, it was with a view to buying a larger SATA hard drive than the 600GB that I had already got. Along the way I have learnt that a SSD should be considered and this is indeed what I now intend to buy.

Lugh, Zig,
    You were absolutely right, my Windows 10 Professional 64bit installation only takes up a mere 24GB on the C drive. The bulk of the space is taken up by VMWare virtual machines, which surprised me. I didn't appreciate how much space these take up! I will now be having a tidy up so only Windows and my programs are on the C drive.

As the new (250GB) SSD is going to be smaller than my current C drive, once I've swapped the drives and used Macrium Reflect Free to put my C drive image back onto the new SSD, how does Windows cope with the fact it is now on a drive of a different size? Do I need to do anything?
    Last edited by Mark_Miller; 2018-07-16 at 13:57. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Miller View Post
    As the new (250GB) SSD is going to be smaller than my current C drive, once I've swapped the drives and used Macrium Reflect Free to put my C drive image back onto the new SSD, how does Windows cope with the fact it is now on a drive of a different size? Do I need to do anything?
    The difference in the size of the physical drive itself makes no difference to Windows, so long as you have the size of your installation on the old drive smaller than the physical size of the new drive.

I use an installation a bit different than standard, I have my OS and some programs on a 60GB partition, most of my other programs installed on a 100GB partition, and my user data on still another 60GB partition, so the Windows footprint on my hard drive is a total of only 220GB.

>>edit<< I'm not advocating partitioning your SSD, just pointing out only that the size of your windows installation must be small enough to fit within the physical size of the SSD. Windows won't notice the difference if it fits.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2018-07-17 at 10:00. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would not partition the disk for OS, programs etc. The SSD is so fast there is no benefit in performance, but running out of space is always a danger.
    If you are happy for the VMs to run a bit more slowly, put the old spinner in as D: and store them there. (It's worth testing one of your more demanding VMs on the SSD to see the performance difference.)

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although bbearen's system has it's advantages, even he notes it's not for everyone. As above, I referred to it as "more aggressive." For the average user, I'm with Paul T on this one, unless you really like to fool around.
    There's no harm. however, in moving the location (under the Location tab) of your libraries (and the default download locations) to the HDD. Just remember to restore to the default location (but not the files themselves) if you ever have to do an "in-place nondestructive reinstall."

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2018-07-17 at 11:48.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, Paul T, Zig,
    Thanks for your advice and duly noted. I don't intend on partitioning the new SSD. I just want to keep it simple with just the OS and programs saved on it. I will update this thread with my progress once I've fitted the new SSD.

Mark

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234