Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Preparing for a new ‘C’ drive

I am looking to upgrade my ‘C’ drive as I am running out of space on it. I am running Windows 10. I use Windows own image backup process to keep backups of my ‘C’ drive on an external drive. I am looking to buy a new larger capacity SATA drive. I also keep a Windows 10 installation DVD disk (matching the Windows 10 build number) of my system.

How should I go about preparing a brand new unused internal HDD to become my new ‘C’ drive and in what order should I carry out the tasks? I know it will need formatting and partitioning so do these need to be done when the drive is connected as a secondary drive, with my current ‘C’ drive still running?

I’m not sure if there are different ways of carrying this out, but I’d like to be able to restore my backup ‘C’ drive image onto the new larger HDD. If I do this though, how will Windows 10 now know that it resides on a larger disk?

Once the new larger HDD is up and running, my plan is to reformat the old ‘C’ drive and use this as a secondary drive.

Any help/advice (plus any links to step-by-step tutorials) would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to do this before.

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Personally I wouldn't use Windows' own image backup... it's a bit limited.

Instead I would use Macrium Reflect Free (MRF) to create an image and store it on a portable hard disk (or network). This lets you both create and - more importantly - verify the integrity of the disk image.

Next, swap the old drive out/new drive in then restore the MRF disk image. MRF will take care of the formatting and partitioning automatically. Afterwards use something like MiniTool Partition Wizard Free or gparted to expand the primary partition to include the unused space (or use the unused space as a second partition, perhaps just for data). (I use gparted from a bootable USB stick for convenience.)

Have a look at this tutorial about creating MRF boot media. I use a USB stick 'cos it's just more convenient (and faster to read) than a CD.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-06-26 at 20:01.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Mark_Miller (2018-06-28)

Thanks
    Neither Macrium Reflect Free, nor the MiniTool (nor gparted), will cost you anything. I agree with Rick's suggestion.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    We also have this tutorial.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Mark_Miller (2018-06-26)

Thanks
    MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9 is the best free version -- unless things have changed within MiniTool.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

Thanks
    Mark, consider buying an SSD for your C: drive, instead of a HD. They're fairly cheap these days, and the performance boost is worth it. Put your OS and programs on it—if you don't have much software, 64GB might do, but better to go 96 or 128 so you have headroom.

Your current HD will do fine for your data.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Lugh; this is a perfect opportunity (excuse) for an SSD; the improvement in performance will be immediately noticeable.
    Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rick. This is helpful. I will change my backup process to use Macrium Reflect Free instead and then use MiniTool Partition Wizard free as you suggest. I will post back here and let you know how it goes or ask further questions if necessary.

Thank you for recommending the 3 free programs.

The link ‘http://How To Create Macrium Reflect Bootable Rescue CD/USB’ you provided doesn’t work. Do you have another link please?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh and Zig, I don’t think an SSD would be suitable for me. I currently have 600GB SATA ‘C’ drive with quite a bit of software on it and I am running out of space hence my question about upgrading it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    We also have this tutorial.
    Thanks bbearren. This is an interesting tutorial on the subject.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Miller
    The link ‘http://How To Create Macrium Reflect Bootable Rescue CD/USB’ you provided doesn’t work. Do you have another link please?
    My apologies. I don't know what happened there. Try How To Create Macrium Reflect Bootable Rescue CD/USB.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-06-26 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Miller View Post
    Lugh and Zig, I don’t think an SSD would be suitable for me. I currently have 600GB SATA ‘C’ drive with quite a bit of software on it and I am running out of space hence my question about upgrading it.
    I was a bit unclear Mark, sorry.

The SSD would be for Windows and programs only. It's very unlikely you have close to 100GB between those two, never mind 500GB+, unless you have a raft of recent AAA games installed.

What is almost certainly filling up your drive is your own personal data, probably videos, music, photos etc. Those can fill up a drive quickly, and are very different from your OS & programs.

What we're recommending is an SSD for OS & Programs, because OS & Programs spend a lot of time accessing your drive while you're on your PC. SSD is much faster than HD, so Windows will boot much faster, and programs will start faster and load their working bits much more quickly during operation.

Use a HD for your data, because using it is mostly a one-off operation—eg put an image or document on screen—where the slower speed is much less noticeable, assuming defragment/optimize runs weekly [which is default setting as far as I know].

In my sig below, you see I have two 256GB SSDs and a 4TB HD.
    OS & programs are on my C: SSD [58GB], all my personal data is on the HD [1.23TB], and I keep my games separate on the G: SSD [164GB].

An added benefit is it makes backups easier.
    I create a verified image of C: in ~12 minutes before any significant software changes [minimum monthly before 2nd Tuesday MS Update].
    I copy my changed personal data much more often, usually daily—but it's mostly just one main top-level WIP folder + my mail, takes a minute.
    I don't backup G: as I'm not worried about the games—maybe twice a year I'll do a major download backup of my online accounts.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As before, Lugh is spot on. I have a LOT of programs installed on my 240 GB SSD; the ONLY programs I install elsewhere are games. But I keep all my data, files, pics, backup, downloads, etc. on my D: HDD or other HDDs. Check it out -
    Here's my programs, almost all on the SSD:

Capture2.PNG
    And here's my drive layout (H: TOURO is a USB external backup drive):

Capture.PNG
    I hope this further informs your decision.
    Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2018-06-27 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Zig Nice, is that windows 10?
    If so what menu program?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy,
    I'm running Windows 10 with Start Menu X 6.11
    Zig

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast