New Lounger
    Thanks

Micro-stutters only when downloading

So I've been having a problem with severe micro-stuttering, but it only presents after either the PC has been on a few hours and then I try to download large-ish data, or it's been downloading a large chunk of data and then it bogs down.

An example: Just put in a new 500 GB Crucial MX500 for my OS drive, to see if that would fix my issue, and was reinstalling Starcraft 2, about 20 GB I guess, and around halfway through the micro-stutters hit. I have no performance issues with gaming or video unless a download goes on in the background.

So any thoughts?

System specs:
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
    4 SSDs, 2 of them in RAID 0
    2 HDDs

Thanks
    What do you mean by "micro-stuttering", Eddie?

Is it screen flashing or freezing, mouse jumping around, a running program giving jumpy responses, sound freeze, or what?

What Windows are you running? What brand PC?

Your specs look good—is there a graphics card in there? [I'm not familiar with AMD gear]

My first thought for general stuttering is a driver problem. Pending better info, I recommend you take an image of your system [so you can undo any unwelcome changes] and update your hardware drivers. Go to the component manufacturer's site preferably, or the PC builder's site—Microsoft Update should be last resort—and download and install any new drivers.

You needn't update them all if you solve your problem with the first one—eg if your stutters are in sound, update your sound drivers first. It's a good idea to leave drivers alone unless [like now] you have a clear reason to update.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything becomes jumpy and the mouse skips across the screen in spurts. Sound does get weird during the lag period too.

Self built PC with Windows 10 Pro. EVGA 1070 FTW 2 GPU.

It's a completely fresh install of Windows and I had grabbed all the most recent motherboard and video drivers to use on the install.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Anti-virus?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Only the one that came with Windows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie307 View Post
    EVGA 1070 FTW 2 GPU
    That is a sweet machine—excuse me a moment, got to mop up some saliva…

micro-stuttering … after either the PC has been on a few hours and then I try to download large-ish data, or it's been downloading a large chunk of data and then it bogs down.

… reinstalling Starcraft 2 … and around halfway through the micro-stutters hit. I have no performance issues with gaming or video unless a download goes on in the background.

Everything becomes jumpy and the mouse skips across the screen in spurts. Sound does get weird during the lag period too
    I assume your new C: is not one of the RAID ones—if it is, worth trying without.

So a heavy download is the common factor. When you're installing a big game, do you follow the standard Steam / GOG Galaxy / Uplay / Origin methods?
    If you try to start install while still downloading, try downloading the complete package first and only install when that's finished.

Probably the best diagnostic approach is to install a few system resource monitors and keep an eye on them, but especially when the stutters hit. I keep a panel on my 2nd monitor with monitors for CPU, RAM & GPU—I use ones which come with 8 Gadget Pack, "7 Sidebar" is the one which provides the panel [it works fine on Win10].

It sounds like something is maxing either your CPU or more likely RAM, which you'll see via above.

If those don't provide a clue, then have a look in Event Viewer for any warning or failure messages around the time the stutters start. There's also Process Monitor from SysInternals if push comes to shove.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    . I keep a panel on my 2nd monitor with monitors for CPU, RAM & GPU—I use ones which come with 8 Gadget Pack, "7 Sidebar" is the one which provides the panel [it works fine on Win10].
    Lugh
    I thought Gadgets were deprecated some where along the line

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    That is a sweet machine—excuse me a moment, got to mop up some saliva…

It sounds like something is maxing either your CPU or more likely RAM, which you'll see via above.

If those don't provide a clue, then have a look in Event Viewer for any warning or failure messages around the time the stutters start. There's also Process Monitor from SysInternals if push comes to shove.
    So none of my resources are maxing out when the stutter occurs. RAM isn't going above 50% and CPU isn't going over 65%. Just checked the event viewer logs and no warnings or errors during that time-frame either.

Thanks
    So none of my resources are maxing out when the stutter occurs. RAM isn't going above 50% and CPU isn't going over 65%. Just checked the event viewer logs and no warnings or errors during that time-frame either.
    Beats me then, Eddie, I can't think of anything else. I'll do some searching and post back if I find anything—but hopefully someone else here will hit on it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I thought Gadgets were deprecated some where along the line
    Yes, MS discontinued them, even the ones they made themselves! I guess lots of people were installing them like confetti, and getting caught by bad ones.

The 8GadgetPack is a framework for those old apps, and has been around and highly regarded for at least 5 years, so I guess it's as safe as any third-party software.

I run only 8 of the bundled gadgets. Definitely research any individual gadget you're thinking of installing, same as any other indie app.

An alternative I haven't used is by a member at Rainmeter—he's still answering forum questions 3 years later, which is a good sign.