3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start problem with Insider Preview build 10.0.17692.1000

I use Classic Shell to improve the Start menu on W10, but the latest insider build doesn't seem to operate with it (the start button freezes).
    I reinstalled it without Classic Shell, and it runs OK, so I tried StartIsBack and this fails to install as 'Not suitable for this operating system'.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Alex

Thanks
    I started using StartIsBack+ and now StartIsBack++ when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and 7 to 10. Recent major upgrades have kicked out StartIsBack ++ as "not suitable", and I simply reinstall it after the upgrade has finished its installation, and go about my merry way. It's still running fine with StartIsBack ++.

On the other hand, I'm not running an Insider build, I'm on 1803.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Alex,

Initially, I had the same problem but a couple of reboots solved it. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,051 Posts
    From the Release Notes for this build:

"Some Insiders may find increased reliability and performance issues when launching Start on this build. We’re investigating."

You may be one of these "lucky" users. I have noticed some performance issues opening Start.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I'm now on Build 17704, which I upgraded to with just the MS standard start, and I've tried installing Classic Shell again but no joy,
    so I tried StartIsBack++, got the same failure message but pressed on anyway. After it restarted explorer the prog seems to have installed OK and is running fine so far.

Keeping fingers crossed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Classic Shell was (and is) a great alternative for those of us that do not like the new Windows start menu.
    However, it was announced 6 months ago that there would be no further updates, and with the release of the latest Insider preview, it's broken.
    http://www.classicshell.net/forum/vi...php?f=7&t=8147

There are alternatives, although not all free and not all as good. Beside "StartIsBack" there's "Start10", "StartMenu8" and "StartMenuX".

Classic shell still works on 1803.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skcusime For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2018-06-30)

Thanks

Windows 10 Start Replacements Quick Review

Hey Y'all,

Unfortunately, my comment in #3 above has proven to be incorrect. Classic Shell will install and work once or twice then bombs out showing only the Shutdown. So I decided to do a quick and dirty test/review of the three other programs mentioned here so here goes.

All are tested on Insider build 17704.rs.prerelease.180623-611.

Note: once installed and configured they all do pretty much the same thing so I'm not covering basic functioning of the programs!

StarDock Start10 (30 Day Trial) V1.60
    • Requires your email address for the free trial. They send you an email that you have to click a link to activate your free trial. I had to get it out of my GMail Spam folder.
    • Easy to configure, plenty of options.
    • Nice clean look.
    • To uninstall you get a popup telling you to close the program before uninstalling but it doesn't tell you how to to that and therea are no options to do it! I found it in Services so I stopped it and that did the trick.
    • Reboot required to complete the uninstall.
    • Reinstall does NOT ask for email and remembers configuration settings (so uninstall doesn't clean out everything).

Start10Menu.JPG

StartMenu10 aka StartMenuX Free V6.11
    • Very easy to install.
    • Options button right on the menu to do configuration.
    • Default is to show all (all programs view) but easy to select Classic for a cleaner look.
    • You can export your customized settings to a file to recover if necessary or move settings to another computer.
    • Windows Settings was not included in the default setup and not offered in configuration. I disovered you could get by creating a shortcut to ms-settings:all. Then you click the add icon button -> Choose your item... -> Scroll down the list and select your shortcut. Both the other programs added it by default.
    • If you get a blank line at the top of your menu you can't delete it, this happened to me several times. You need to add another item then you'll be able to delete the blank entry.
    • Restart is required for a complete uninstall.
    • Reinstalled the program and imported my saved settings and restarted the program - all good.

Default:
    StartMenuXMenu.JPG

Classic:
    StartMenuXClassicMenu.JPG

StartisBack++ (30 day trial) V2.6.4
    • Full disclosure, I used StartisBack+ in my days on Win 8+ and loved it.
    • Message on install screen "This version of StartisBack is not intended for this Windows version." Installed and worked anyway.
    • Configuration after installation not intuitive. Right-click on Start button & select properties. I say it's not intutitive because Classic shell identifies the same behavior clearly labeling it settings and the displayed menu it self looks like the standart W10 right-click menu.
    • No way visible to save/restore settings.
    • Uninstall screen has a box you can uncheck to keep your settings and license informatioin.
    • Uninstall did NOT require a restart.
    • Reinstall found settings and license info automatically.

Configured the way I like it:
    StartIsBackMenuConfigured.JPG

COSTS:
    Code:
    Program                   Copies    $$$$$
    StarDock Start 10          1         4.99
    StarDock Start 10          2         9.98
    StarDock Start 10          5        24.95
    Start Menu 10 Free         FREE
    Start Menu 10 PRO          1         9.99
    Start Menu 10 PRO          2        15.98
    Start Menu 10 PRO          5        39.95
    StartisBack++              1         2.99
    StartisBack++              2         4.99
    StartisBack++              5         9.99
    My thoughts:
    Start Menu 10 free does all I really need (YMMV) and I can't see why anyone would pay their price for the two, mostly unnecessary features IMHO you get with PRO.
    If I'm going to shell out my hard earned cash StartisBack++ is the clear winner on price as well as features.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2018-07-01 at 12:37.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    +1 for StartIsBack (I'm still on 1803). I first started using it with Windows 8, when the price was (IRRC) $2.99 for 2 lifetime license. Moved to + with Windows 8.1, then ++ with Windows 10, all under the same license.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren,

I didn't know the old StartisBack+ license was good. As I remembered it was a new license to go to ++. But I dug out my old email and surely enough it activated. Who knew....

Thanks for the heads up!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks

Unleash Windows