Thread: HELP Needed:

Thanks

Post HELP Needed:

please excuse my ignorance.

I have an inexpensive basic Kindle that I bought for reading books away from my personal PC room.
    I need to replace it.

However, Now i am wondering, before I buy: What can a 'Tablet' ($50.-$225.) do, that a Kindle Fire can not do, and/or vice-versa?

If I buy another another Kindle, I may be missing some function that I'd like to have.

thanks
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."

Thanks
    'Tablet' just refers to the form factor...

A basic Kindle is a tablet dedicated to a single purpose, i.e. to list/display ebook files in Amazon's proprietary format (e.g. .mobi, .azw, .azw3) using Amazon's built-in connection service (Whispersync).

A Kindle Fire is also a tablet but has extended capability, e.g. Internet surfing, email and curated apps from Amazon.

To better answer your question... what functionality do you want/need on top of the basic 'display books in Amazon format'?

For example... both my Dad and I (who lived many miles away) used the orignal Kindle 'keyboard' tablets for many years. We changed to using a different kind of tablet so we could keep in touch more easily for free using a video link. We got rid of our Kindle 'keyboard' tablets because our new tablets included so much more flexibility.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-06-27 at 11:50.

Thanks
    +1 to what Rick said.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyWomen View Post
    If I buy another another Kindle, I may be missing some function that I'd like to have.
    The big thing a Kindle reader is missing is the ability to read EPUB books. EPUB is the standard in the rest of the book world—ie outside Amazon—so that's a pretty big limitation imo. If you buy ebooks from Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo, Microsoft etc, you will get EPUBs.
    To read those on a Kindle reader, you would need to convert them from EPUB to one of Amazon's formats. The most widely used tool for that is Calibre, but it's a hassle if you have more than a few EPUBs.

A Kindle Fire, or any other tablet, can read any kind of book. All you have to do is get an appropriate app for the book type.
    Kindle App to read Amazon books on PC, iOS, Android, Mac—if you already read Amazon books on your PC, this is what you're using.

To read EPUBs on Kindle Fire, check the Kindle Fire app store for your Fire model—there are at least 20 Fires going back a few years.

So you needn't—and shouldn't—limit yourself to the Fire if buying a tablet. There are probably 100s out there these days, so have fun comparing their different capabilities with your needs. Here are a few 2018 articles to get you started:

The Best Tablets of 2018

Best Tablets for 2018

The 13 Best Tablets to Buy in 2018
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-06-28 at 08:47.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks

Thumbs up Reply to Rick Corbett RE: Tablets

Thank you for your advice. In answer to my own question, a single purpose tablet is surely Not what I now want or need.
    Your question regarding functionality is the question I need to answer.
    Having never used a tablet device, I honestly don't know what functions I need or might want. It appears I need to begin a list of the functions offered on various devices in order to determine the functions that I need, want, or MAY realize I want!
    Your example below about using a video link to communicate with a second party is right on target; as I have never considered using a tablet to video link with someone else....
    Thanks again for the information....
    .................................................. .................................................. ........

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    'Tablet' just refers to the form factor...

A basic Kindle is a tablet dedicated to a single purpose, i.e. to list/display ebook files in Amazon's proprietary format (e.g. .mobi, .azw, .azw3) using Amazon's built-in connection service (Whispersync).

A Kindle Fire is also a tablet but has extended capability, e.g. Internet surfing, email and curated apps from Amazon.

To better answer your question... what functionality do you want/need on top of the basic 'display books in Amazon format'?

For example... both my Dad and I (who lived many miles away) used the orignal Kindle 'keyboard' tablets for many years. We changed to using a different kind of tablet so we could keep in touch more easily for free using a video link. We got rid of our Kindle 'keyboard' tablets because our new tablets included so much more flexibility.

Thanks

Thumbs up RESPONSE to LUGH.

The links you provided to various reviews will come in handy.
    Your comments about what a device might or does Not Do is relevant. Ads by manufacturers will not point out shortcomings; and some articles/reviews may not identify those deficiencies either.

Thank You.

.................................................. ....................................
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    +1 to what Rick said.
    The big thing a Kindle reader is missing is the ability to read EPUB books. EPUB is the standard in the rest of the book world—ie outside Amazon—so that's a pretty big limitation imo. If you buy ebooks from Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo, Microsoft etc, you will get EPUBs.
    To read those on a Kindle reader, you would need to convert them from EPUB to one of Amazon's formats. The most widely used tool for that is Calibre, but it's a hassle if you have more than a few EPUBs.

A Kindle Fire, or any other tablet, can read any kind of book. All you have to do is get an appropriate app for the book type.
    Kindle App to read Amazon books on PC, iOS, Android, Mac—if you already read Amazon books on your PC, this is what you're using.

To read EPUBs on Kindle Fire, check the Kindle Fire app store for your Fire model—there are at least 20 Fires going back a few years.

So you needn't—and shouldn't—limit yourself to the Fire if buying a tablet. There are probably 100s out there these days, so have fun comparing their different capabilities with your needs. Here are a few 2018 articles to get you started:

The Best Tablets of 2018

Best Tablets for 2018

The 13 Best Tablets to Buy in 2018
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2018-06-28 at 09:37. Reason: .

Thanks
    I use my tablet every single day and, after having one for many years, now can't imagine life without one.

I use mine for:
    • reading (I have the Kindle app installed but I also read books in .epub and .pdf formats)
    • internet browsing
    • email
    • messaging
    • online banking
    • online shopping
    • mapreading and direction-finding
    • scheduling appointments
    • reminders/memos
    • watching films
    • listening to music (I have all my favourites stored on my tablet, as well as being able to listen to internet radio)
    • taking photos and small videos (My family and I store all our photos online (so they're shared and instantly available instead of gathering dust in a photo album). My tablet means I can access this photo store using a much larger screen size than a phone.)
    • controlling my TV (so much easier than its remote control) and 'casting' content to it, for example family photos or films stored on my tablet
    • plus play the odd game or two

My family are used to the fact that my tablet is always with me wherever I go and lives in a pocket of my cargo pants when I'm not using it.

I used to have a SIM for it so I had always-available internet-connectivity. However, these days it's unusual not to be within range of a wifi access point. I found I was paying a monthly fee for the SIM yet rarely using it... so stopped.

I used to take a laptop on holiday with me but these days my tablet does everything I want or need, except phone calls.

Even though my tablet (iPad Mini 3) is now more than a few years old, the battery still lasts over a day with constant use (I never swtch it off in fact). When I go away I also take my Iogear MediaShare hub that can also be used as a power bank in case my tablet runs out of juice.

After the Kindle keyboard I bought a Google Nexus tablet. Unfortunately my Dad didn't get on well with it - the main controls were too confusing for him - so we both ended up with Apple iPads which he found simple to use (except for closing apps... he could never get the hang of sweeping up to close an app so just didn't bother. ).

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks
    I too use my tablet pretty much every day, currently on a Samsung galaxy tab s sm-t700 (8.4 inch screen). About the only things I don't do are watching films and listening to music. Why don't you go to your local tablet shop and try a few out - they normally have a few on display. That way you can get a feel for what they do. I have a Kindle reader as well - but I wonder if I should have got it, it only does books! But then it was a birthday present!
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

Thanks
    OP (and OP's location) is spookily similar to Question: a Tablet or a Kindle Fire over on TenForums.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    my tablet does everything I want or need, except phone calls.
    Looks like iPad can do phone calls—check out:

3 ways to place calls on your iPad

Can iPad make phone calls
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Looks like iPad can do phone calls—check out:

3 ways to place calls on your iPad

Can iPad make phone calls
    Sorry - I should have been more specific... I meant using cellular (phone) network rather than wifi alternatives.