Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,051 Posts

Insider Preview Build 17704.1000 released to Fast Ring

See Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17704 for features, fixes, and known issues.
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Joe,

Just got this loaded and have observed the following:

1. Kills Classic Shell 4.3.1 (Note: Classic Shell is no longer under development!)
    2. Deleted a Registry entry to hide the unused boot drive on my dual boot system.
    3. The new feature to increase font size across the system w/o enlarging anything else is very nice especially on my small laptop screen where I do the Insider testing.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Joe,

Just got this loaded and have observed the following:

1. Kills Classic Shell 4.3.1 (Note: Classic Shell is no longer under development!)
    2. Deleted a Registry entry to hide the unused boot drive on my dual boot system.
    3. The new feature to increase font size across the system w/o enlarging anything else is very nice especially on my small laptop screen where I do the Insider testing.

HTH
    Your #2 hit my curiosity button. Do you hide your unused boot drive, and if so, why? I dual boot everything except my NAS, and I don't hide anything.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren

I've been doing that for years. I read somewhere long ago that certain things Windows does can cause problems if two boot devices are accessible to the OS at the same time. I can't remember exactly what but I think it had to do with Swap files and Hibernation features. In any case it prevents me from making adjustments to the wrong (non-booted) version of windows.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I see. Since the '90's I've used BootIt NG as a boot manager, named my installations "A" and "B", set "A" as default, so there was never a chance of booting into the wrong side.

Then when UEFI/GPT came along, I couldn't use BootIt since it can only install in an EMBR partition, and UEFI only boots from an EFI partition. But I could use bootmgr in the EFI partition the same way to provide a boot menu and set a default. I've never had an issue with booting into the wrong side. The "other" side is always drive "D:" and the active Windows is always C.

That also makes it very easy to backup/restore one from the other, one of my main reasons for dual boot.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren,

I was looking at the BootIt web page and it appears they have a UEFI version.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    bbearren,

I was looking at the BootIt web page and it appears they have a UEFI version.
    Thanks, RG! I was just there this morning, but I was not on that page. I downloaded IFW first, and logging in gives me a page with my licenses and available upgrades listed, so I downloaded BootIt Bare Metal v1.50 from there, and didn't visit the BootIt home page.

Unleash Windows