2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Windows Favourites as bookmarks in other browsers

I have a Windows 10 laptop on which I like to use a number of different browsers including Edge, Opera, Chrome, Vivaldi etc. For historical reasons, my main set of bookmarks (and I have a large number) is saved in the Windows Favourites folder.

Obviously the other browsers give one the facility to import the favourites as bookmarks when one first uses them, but they quickly get out of date. I know there are some internet based bookmark sync programmes, but since all these programmes are on my laptop, is there any simpler way of keeping the bookmarks in each browser synchronised?

Many thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
    I am leery of bookmark syncing programs. Whilst trouble shooting a bookmark problem using PaleMoon with a bookmark extension I had heard that syncing can cause problems. With a few meg of BMs I am passing on that, a central location for shared BMs would be a safer solution IMHO.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If you don't find any other solutions, one low tech way you could do it is to keep the Favorites folder open, on the taskbar, and when you find a website you want to save (in any browser) to Favorites, drag it from the address bar down to taskbar, hover over the Favorites folder, it will pop up and you can drop it in there.

You can open sites by clicking on them in the Favorites folder. Will open into the default browser. Opening a website from Favorites into a browser other than the default would require copying and pasting it in the address bar though.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2018-06-30 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Fwiw, the way I get around the OP's problem is I made a personal home page—I originally got the idea from John Dvorak's home page.

You need very basic HTML [& CSS if you want] ability—good way to dip your toe in if HTML is new to you. Obviously you have to do all the links from scratch, but it's a one-time project with only ongoing maintenance as you add, delete & change links.

You keep the file on your HD and set it as the home page for each browser—or a favorite, if you prefer another home page. The URL for mine is:
    file:///D:/Sites/Lugh/lugh.htm
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2018-07-01),wavy (2018-07-01)

Thanks
    The idea that Lugh suggests is interesting. If you want to try that without having to create it link by link, you can make a primitive version of that by exporting the Favorites from IE to an html file.
    Click on the Star in upper right and then the dropdown next to Add To Favorites. And make sure it saves them to an htm or html file.

Thanks
    Thinking about this now, not sure how you would save new favorites to that "homepage".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Thinking about this now, not sure how you would save new favorites to that "homepage".
    You would open the HTM page in a web editor. Notepad will do the job very basically, but Notepad++ is one of the best modern editors.
    Personally I use MS Expression Web 4 which Microsoft made free a while back. I just prefer its split visual-code interface for occasional simple work like this, so I don't have to remember the syntax—open the HTM file, place the cursor where you want the new link, click the link icon in the toolbar, and fill in the 2 fields in the dialog box [title & web address]. Very like adding a link in this forum.

Don't be put off by needing to know a small bit of HTML, you could do this kind of page with max 10 simple tags—the most complex one is the web address tag, but as I said Expression Web makes that simple.

If you update frequently, pin EW to the Taskbar, and pin the HTM file in the EW icon—2 clicks to open. Takes me maybe 30-45 seconds to do a simple edit.

Multiple Pages

For someone with a lot of links, or if you want to include brief notes under/beside links, you can create as many HTM pages as you like—eg the main page for frequent stuff, then extra pages for say Software, Sport and Computers. Just add links to those extra pages at the top of the main page, ie a little menu.

You can of course add images, video, audio wherever you like too. I prefer this approach not because it's necessarily the 'best', but because it's so flexible as my needs change. Of course, I was already familiar with HTML & CSS, so I knew it would work.

PS you can also link to files on your PC or network.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-07-01 at 12:20. Reason: PS
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Fwiw, the way I get around the OP's problem is I made a personal home page—I originally got the idea from John Dvorak's home page.
    Thanks for the reminder I used to have his blog as my start page but some where along the way that fell by the wayside. I have no idea why rolleyes:
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very many thanks for all these interesting ideas although I'm not sure any of them provide the simplicity I was hoping for!

In which case, does anyone have any recommendations for internet based bookmark sync programmes which would do what I want...?

Thanks again.