Thread: Remote Desktop

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Desktop

Hello.
    Has anybody been able to jump through all these hoops to get RD to work ? Not here ! I once got connected from a Desktop to my Laptop but could not move nor copy any file/folder between them. Grrr ! ! I could only see the remote machine, maybe this is the intention not like Workgroup used to be where I could snap either machine and copy/move to my heart content.

Also, is it normal in RD that it reboots a machine when trying to connect to it ??? It then sits at the lock screen ( far one ) and the present machine says that connection is not possible, even I know this.

Still work to be done or for me to learn more. Jean.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    RD is designed to give you the feel of sitting in front of the remote machine, not to copy data to a possibly unsafe location, so copy / move is generally disabled.
    Remote machines should not reboot on connection, check the remote machine / software.
    What RD software are you using?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, greets and thanks for the come-back.

I can understand the disabling of copy/move even though this is what I seek. Sorry.
    I am using the Windows provided app to connect and I set it up to the best of my knowledge, not good enough it seems. I am still looking for a look-alike that Workgroup provided, the closest thing that I found is a USB device, I copy to it, move it to the far machine and copy from it, simple enough and Workgroup was that easy too. Oh well !

Keep cool. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean, give TeamViewer a whirl. I found it easy and reliable a few years ago.

PS this guy also rates TV the best freebie currently:
    15 Free Remote Access Software Tools
    He includes Windows RD as one of the 15, so you can compare.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-07-03 at 13:07. Reason: PS
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6
    Win10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I use RDP regularly for both my NAS and my laptop. I routinely copy files between all three. I've even installed software on my NAS and my laptop with the executable located on my desktop PC. I've rebooted NAS and laptop for Windows updates/upgrades, waited an appropriate amount of time, then RDP'd right back in. There are multiple shared folders on all three.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I use TeamViewer and think it's the best remote access tool I've ever used, especially its file transfer functionality.

If you do end up using TeamViewer and only use it within your own home network then make sure you configure it for LAN use. It's just quicker that way.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Jean, have you setup the properties like this?

I got that image by going to my NAS via RDP, opening System Properties to the Remote tab, then snipping that and saving to the NAS Desktop. I then right-clicked on the Capture.png file, selected Copy, then minimized the NAS RDP monitor and pasted to my regular desktop Desktop, and uploaded the file from here.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all who replied here, specially Bear. Yes, I have had Teamviewer on all my machines for at least 4 years and I have it on my Taskbar too. I used it to help friends but never thought that I was friendly enough to use it as now suggested. Yes, I do help locals here, the secret is to know more than they do . . . LOL.
    I was trying RD as an Insider on W-10 and I did write a few reports on my experience, no feedback, obviously.
    Bear, yes, I have done this as you suggested as I once connected but did not attain the purpose of my attempt, nothing new here ! I will get back to my old USB device process to move/copy files from one machine to another. I never did this when on Teamviewer with a friend's machine, I respect their privacy.

Speaking of privacy, I once got a 2nd-hand SSD from a local dealer here, got it home and found that it was still full of data, an immediate format was done but I called him and gave him a piece of my mind. People are not careful enough.

You have a fine 4th, you hear. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Speaking of privacy, I once got a 2nd-hand SSD from a local dealer here, got it home and found that it was still full of data, an immediate format was done but I called him and gave him a piece of my mind. People are not careful enough.
    Ages ago, I purchased some unformatted backup tapes, and they were filled with data. Also, we found a PC in the garbage outside of a company, and the hard drive was filled with data. In both cases, no one had thought to erase the data before disposing of the PC / tapes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    RD is designed to give you the feel of sitting in front of the remote machine, not to copy data to a possibly unsafe location, so copy / move is generally disabled.
    I have used RD (and other similar software) many times in a corporate setting for copying files back and forth. When you are doing user support, that functionality is very important.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... is it normal in RD that it reboots a machine when trying to connect to it ??? It then sits at the lock screen ...
    Absolutely not, RD should not do that. It has been a couple of years but I remember RD well. The rule with RD is that it will not allow 2 simultaneous logins on the remote computer (RD logs in as You, on the remote session). Therefore if someone else is already logged in to that remote computer, RD offers you the option to either force them off, or abandon the remote session attempt.

As a result of this I found that I shied away from RD for doing remote work on users workstations. The problem was that the forced logoff was performed without either warning or asking permission. Add to that, the remote user can't see what is going on, nor can they tell when the remote session has finished. All they get is that login screen staring at them the whole time. It's a poor UI experience for the remote user.

Other remote control software works differently. I have used the LANDesk suite and LANDesk permits "dual-headed" control of a remote session. That seemed to me much more polite and respectful of how a user experiences remote support.

However even considering the RD session rules, no reboot is ever required. RD does a normal logout and the OS remains running the whole time.