Lounger
    Thanks

Beautifulsoup download for win 7

I am trying to learn Python, I am at absolute, very absolute beginner, probably just past the "hello world" bit.

I don't care about the 'hello world" phase of the game, I just want to scrape a web page the same way VBA does, only in Python though.

So, having downloaded ans installed the latest version of Python, done some examples,( woopy do) , now I am ready to to do a web query, to replicate what my current Excel BA does and has been doing so without a glitch for the past 10 years +

Question is, where the heck do I download beutifulsoup, it is a required set of librarys, for Python, so it can do web scrape, to use their termologies.

I have tried google, but it seems the downloads and installs are complicated, they don't seem to have installers etc. It's all mush, makes no sense.

Anyone know ?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,037 Posts
    This site has a nice description.
    http://www.scrapingauthority.com/201...-beautifulsoup

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, will try

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XP_7 View Post
    I am trying to learn Python, I am at absolute, very absolute beginner, probably just past the "hello world" bit. Question is, where the heck do I download beutifulsoup, it is a required set of librarys, for Python, so it can do web scrape, to use their termologies.
    I had to re-acquaint myself with the python interface, and, as you found, there are lots of questions and answers out there, but which ones apply to running Python under windows. In the process, I read about PIP (I think installed with python, or it may have come with the IDLE IDE). So how to use PIP? The answer seems to be from the Windows command line:

C:\Program Files\Python>pip list
    Package Version
    ---------- -------
    pip 10.0.1
    setuptools 18.2

Note that originally I had PIP v7.1.2 and every time I typed a PIP command, it nagged me to update, so I did:
    C:\Program Files\Python>python -m pip install --upgrade pip
    (which I pasted from the nag text), and v10 was installed. How to install Beautifulsoup? Simples:
    C:\Program Files\Python>pip install beautifulsoup4

and it goes off to the internet and downloads and installs it! To check:

C:\Program Files\Python>pip list
    Package Version
    -------------- -------
    beautifulsoup4 4.6.0
    pip 10.0.1
    setuptools 18.2

Now if that info was on the web, I didn't come across it before just having a go. Note that I have no idea what to do next: how to use BS functions etc. Good luck, hth, Martin

PS That is all covered (and more) in Paul's link - but finding out kept me busy.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2018-07-07 at 05:31.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, will try soon.

have asked in other places and general reply is, "welcome to the world of programming".
    yeah riiight, MS has spoilt the majority it seems with download/click/install and voila !