New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 hangs when user logs out or tries to switch user

My Win 7 SP2 computer has started to fail when I try to change from one user account another. The screen goes black and the login screen never comes back. The HD light continues to show activity. If I power down, everything seems to start normally but the problem remains. Also, if I just logout from either account, the login screen never returns, and I can't log in anywhere until I do a cold restart. The only software change within the past week or so was a Firefox update. I tried a system restore from before that action but it didn't help. Has anyone else run into this problem?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hadn't replied earlier because this is a long shot.

I had something very similar a few years ago when one of my user profiles was corrupted. I went through the tedious proocess of re-creating all of them and the problem was fixed.

Sorry I don't remember any more !

Thanks
    You could easily test the user profile theory simply by creating a new user profile and then logging in under that user profile. If all is well with the new user profile, then it is likely that a corrupted user profile is the source of the problem.

I don't think you would need to create all new user profiles, because they might not all be bad. Test them, and create new profiles for those which are bad.

Thanks
    See this Micro$oft Support article: 'You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message' at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".