Thanks

Change the name on the Microsoft Account / Windows Profile

Somewhere in my last setup, I evidently put my full name, Charles Billow, into my Microsoft account so that when it set Windows up, my profile, it set up my Documents as Charles Billow, while my login screen name is Chuck Billow, as is my Microsoft account name online.

It ain't the end of the world, but one, it bugs me that they aren't the same and, secondly, now I'm wondering how it could be fixed if it were a major misspell or some such. SO...

Aside from backing everything up and "starting over", how can I change my name in the Windows install so that it agrees with the Microsoft online info?

I am a little unclear as to how it let me use my Microsoft account information, but with a different name when I was setting up. Is it just the e-mail/password that is checked?
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 804 Posts
    Chuck,

I've never used an MS account (nor will I) but wonder, from your post history, whether you've considered using a script that configures your preferences automatically after each time you reset/re-install Windows 10?

Just a question...

Thanks
    Rick, I would love to do that. The time, energy, and frustration that would alleviate is enormous. Alas, I hardly have the knowledge necessary to even attempt such a project.

Why would you never use an MS account? I set mine up back in the Win 10 beta days in order to get a first look. Am I gaining anything at this point? Doubtful, but I don't really know.

The idea of a script though is intriguing.
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow
    Rick, I would love to do that. The time, energy, and frustration that would alleviate is enormous. Alas, I hardly have the knowledge necessary to even attempt such a project.

Why would you never use an MS account? I set mine up back in the Win 10 beta days in order to get a first look. Am I gaining anything at this point? Doubtful, but I don't really know.

The idea of a script though is intriguing.
    I just prefer using a local account.

Writing a 'configuration script' is very easy and usually doesn't require any 'techie' skills other than the ability to just 'cut and paste'.

I'm not a programmer... I just borrow and adapt code that others have written. (I also prefer 'easy' over 'complex'... so I use AutoHotkey, not PowerShell as my scripting language of choice.) Dare I say it... it's also quite fun and magical to turn a chore that you do over and over again into a script that does it for you, saving time, energy, and frustration.

Tell you what... if you're interested in developing a script then I'll put together a thread with the steps broken down and everything documented. I'm sure others would be interested.

For example, just recently you posted about STOP with the suggestions! and I provided 2 methods of accomplishing this... manually and using a REG file.

A third way would be to do exactly the same thing but using a script. Using AutoHotkey, it's just a one-liner:
    Code:
    RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager, SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled, 0
    Be honest... that doesn't look so difficult, does it?

If you're interested, come up with a list of stuff you do every time you revert to a clean slate... and let's see if we can't alleviate the pain.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Rick, first I have to apologize: personal matters got me off track, and I never (before) saw your response to "Stop with the suggestions!" (I tried copying your link, but could only come up with the full-blown link, not the "pretty" blue one). I will be using both of those! I have AutoHotkry, but haven't yet gotten proficient enough that it doesn't ad to me angst.

As for building the script, you bet! Even if it took me a week to grok it (did you read "Stranger in a Strange land"?), I can't tell you how many hours it would save me in the long run.

Someone might wonder why I mess around all the time in the first place... I tried "quitting", but I couldn't do it!

You bet I'm interested!

As for the MS account, I enjoyed it back when Win-10 was new and it was a way to get a running start. I'm not so enamored anymore. The one thing that a local account won't give me (as far as I can tell) is any deviation from the single word necessity for the user account. Dunno why, but I just like the flexibility of using the first/last name -- although now, of course, that too seems to be adding to my challenges!

Sometimes Rick, I think I do it just because I want it the way I want it. Sigh...

Anyway, what do I need to do next?
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Rick, first I have to apologize
    No apologies necessary... so let's move on.

As for building the script, you bet! .... I can't tell you how many hours it would save me in the long run.
    So, let's have a go?

Someone might wonder why I mess around all the time in the first place... I tried "quitting", but I couldn't do it!
    So, you like to fiddle with stuff... as I do. (It's not a crime...)

You bet I'm interested!
    Good. IMO enthusiasm usually beats knowledge.

Sometimes Rick, I think I do it just because I want it the way I want it. Sigh...
    Alternatively, don't just sigh. Exploring is just part of human nature. Explore away... but perhaps find a way to automate getting back to your own preferred baseline? That's really what this is all about, right?

Anyway, what do I need to do next?
    Sounds like you've already started... let's try a test. What do you see when you run the following AHK script?

Code:
    #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    ; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
    SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

msgbox % "my ahk version: " A_AhkVersion
    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2018-07-13 at 18:22. Reason: Corrected typos

Thanks
    This post has verged off-topic.. Perhaps time for a new thread elsewhere?

Thanks
    Actually I am interested in both topics. I am copying the AutoHotkry Script to a file, and I'll have to look to see how to run it, since I have not as yet ever done one.

Since you do not now or ever have/had a MS account, perhaps that is a question for a separate post. So, first this first. I assume it is something like

AutoHotkey NoEnv

?
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    My ahk version 1.1.29.01
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    And the var %A_ScriptDir% returns no value when set %A_ScriptDir% is run. Is that purely local?
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    My ahk version 1.1.29.01
    That's the latest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    And the var %A_ScriptDir% returns no value when set %A_ScriptDir% is run. Is that purely local?
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% just means 'from where the script was run'