Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mysteriously lost desktop shortcuts and files

I rebooted my Win7 Pro, and it seemed it did a self clean-up of my messy desktop.
    These were a mixture of shortcuts, txt files, and URL shortcuts. Juist stuff I use to quickly get to things.

The first time this happened was after uninstalling a program for testing, in particular Anaconda, Python and some related stuff.

So I tried system restore, and everything cam back. named and Saved that particular restore point just in-case it happens again.

It did happen again, hoping my saved restore point would sort it out, but no. Nothing was replaced.
    Searched beyond desktop, everything else seemed fine. I was looking for maybe a temp folder or somewhere maybe Win 7 automatically place these desktop files.

Searched for a solution, here, to find out why my restore points have gone, or not enough, thanks that answer was found here to, increase the amount of disk space, from 5% to now 25%.

But, where are the desktop files, would they be in some hidden folder created by Win 7 ?

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried:
    Right click on desktop|View|Show Desktop Icons?
    Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried:
    Right click on desktop|View|Show Desktop Icons?
    Zig
    Yes, it On or Ticked by defualt

Thanks
    Do you see any of the missing stuff when you check your Desktop folder in your User folder?
    C:\Users\Username\Desktop
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, I checked in those folders, did search of folder names and nothing came up.

But wait, it all has come back ! Just now.

As I was progressively making new shortcuts etc , an error message appeared on screen, I need to Re Start Window Explorer was a choice. Don't remember what the other choices were, it all happened so quick. So I pressed Restart windows Explorer, and everything came back, nothing missing.
    But the new stuff, even on task bar was gone.

So it may have something to do with a corrupt windows file, or I don't know.

After I log off here, going to re-boot and see what happens. If it is as it was or not will post here.
    But that seems to be a clue, Restart Windows Explorer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re-booted and all gone again, and the new folders,shortcuts and item on task bar is back to. None of the original.

This is weird

Thanks
    I should have mentioned it in post #4, look in:
    C:\Users\Public\Desktop

The desktop you see is a combo of 2 folders. The Public one above is for all users, while each user also has their own 'private' one in their Username folder, ie
    C:\Users\Username\Desktop

Windows adds the Username version [ie your customizations] to the Public one to present each user with their visible desktop. I'm thinking your problem is that sometimes Windows is only reading the Public folder, for some reason ignoring your Username one.

How to fix that, I don't know—but if it's the issue, no doubt someone else here will know what to do.
    Lugh.
    ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-25)

Thanks
    Going forward, perhaps consider making full images of your OS and data partitions onto external media -- the chances of successful restores of images appear to be much greater than the chances of successful restores done with System Restore Points -- if I'm reading different forums on The 'Net correctly.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh,
    yes, started probing in those folders, and it's all there. Somehow it got shifted, I don't how know either.
    But found everything in the "old" desktop folders !

Thanks

I never set this puter up btw, usually I do my own, but it's my first win 7 Pro OS since the XP days. Had to move on.
    Bought it cheap, and has the complete OEM Win 7 pro, 32 and 64 twin disk set.
    Could not argue with $60.00 for the lot. ( box, monitor, keyboard, mouse and CD's authentic MS )

So I think it's time to "do it my way",save files, format C:, clean it up and start again fresh install.
    Last edited by XP_7; 2018-07-14 at 07:42.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XP_7 View Post
    named and Saved that particular restore point just in-case it happens again.
    I don't believe that will work - I am sure it won't in XP, but had to do a look to see if W7 was any different - I think not. Some years ago (before I had heard of disk imaging), I thought how nifty it would be to save particular restore points (RP - on another drive), and spent some time finding out how to make the System Volume Information folder readable, then saved a few points. I forget when or how, but I eventually realised that to be useful, one has to have all intermediate RPs saved as well, and keeping track of those would be a pain, if not impossible. AIUI, System Restore only saves the changes in the system since the last RP (which prevents them becoming too large), so the further back one wants to go, the more RPs are needed. It does not save an 'image' of the system state - that is what images do (duh!).

I recommend Macrium Reflect, but there are other equally well-regarded imaging programs. MR just saved my bacon today, after I foolishly tried (yet again) to update my copy of (ironically) MR - since Jan 2017, I have been unable to update MR, as each attempt fails to start the Macrium service, and the install unwinds. This happens with all vns of v6 I have tried, and now two flavours of V7. Many system tweaks (to registry and security policy) later, still no joy, and in the process the current working vn of MR has been removed, so I restore from this morning's differential image (it reads the last full one also), and 3 minutes later (after booting W10 to run MR) I am back in business.

You might wonder why I don't simply re-install the OS, as surely it is some corruption on my setup, but after 12 years on the same (updated) installation, there would be too much re-installing for me to contemplate it. That is one of the prices I am paying for sticking with XP. Luckily MR v6.2.1549 works fine for my uses.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-07-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought of starting a new thread, but just in case this is the same problem, losing the desktop, then finding it was mysteriously shifted,
    The problem now seem to be, "Disk is Full".

I know very well, I have not added much on a 74Gig HD
    Win 7 Pro
    Auto Updates are turned off.
    When viewing My Computer,

Local Disk (C: )
    116Kb free of 74.0 GB

What is filling this PC ?

I don't do "family photos" or movies, none of that stuff.
    It mainly Runs my Excel VBA project and some educational Python, backgammon, read e-mails, basically that's it

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Turned off System Restore, that freed up alot of space, 8 gigs out of 74.

Still something not right.
    Seeing I bought this PC with pre-installs, may as well do a complete wipe and do my own install.
    Have all the OEM's etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XP_7 View Post
    What is filling this PC ?
    Run WizTree or WinDirStat, they'll tell you.
    Lugh.
    ~

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-08-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lugh,
    Tried out WizTree and it found so much stuff, mainly at first old .css files from a sports page.
    Lots of other useless files that don't seem to clear with CCleaner
    Deleted much manually and freed up about a gig + of space.

But looking at the dates of file creation, most, if not all are since I tried another browser.

Previous browser I could not remove the default search engine, ( was able to before till they updated to a newer version ).

This problem of the HDD filling up has been since installing this other browser, judging from file creation dates.

Thanks
    I'm don't recall Win7 commands too clearly anymore, but there's something like "Disk Cleanup" which will get rid of a lot of junk for you. Sounds like you haven't cleared your TEMP files in a while, so definitely well worth digging out whatever that command is and running it.
    Lugh.
    ~

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

XP_7 (2018-08-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast