5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting addresses from Outlook 2010 contacts

I found exporting Outlook 2010 contacts to an Access 2010 table is easy - it is the home addresses that I want to work on. However I have hit a snag.

The addresses look fine in Outlook, for instance when displayed in the Card view in Contacts.

However, when exported, the various portions of the addresses are distributed in a slightly random way into distinct fields, namely:

HomeStreet
    HomeStreet2
    HomeStreet3
    HomeCity
    HomeState
    HomePostalCode
    HomeCountryRegion

I am then unable to recreate a consistent display in Access as the data has not been consistently assigned to the fields.

I thought I could sort this out in Outlook, starting by displaying the List view of the contacts and choosing to show just the fields I am interested in. Oddly (annoyingly), the above fields are not the ones available in the Field Chooser, which offers instead a set of fields with various concatenations of the above "raw" data ie:

Home Address Street
    Home Address
    Street Address
    Home Address City
    Home Address State
    Home Address Postal Code
    Home Address Country/Region

Actually, City, State, Postal Code and Country/Region map consistently to the exported fields, it is the "home address/street" data which is too randomly assigned for my purpose.

So my question is "How can I enter (or edit) my contact addresses in Outlook so that they are exported in a consistent fashion" ?

Sometimes a "helper" appears when I am entering a new address, to force me to say which data is which when I am entering it; but not always and I don't know how to make that helper appear to edit Outlook's view of what is meant to be in which field in the addresses.

I hope I am making myself clear - help would be much appreciated.

Martin

Thanks
    I can't answer the Q you ask Martin, but try exporting to a CSV, open that in Excel, and see if "Concatenate" can combine the errant address data into one standardized column. You could then import that sheet into Access.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

MartinM (2018-08-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved this by importing from Access instead of exporting from Outlook !

I used the Outlook field definitions to control the process, as posted here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba...ent-properties

The beauty of doing it this way is that I can do it in VBA, so the transfer of Contacts from Outlook to Access takes place at the press of a button !

I can post the code, which turned out to be simpler than I had expected, if anyone is interested . . . as it seems to solve an issue that is posted in various tech forums, with few answers.

Martin