Thanks

Board Gamers—go digital

Steam is having a sale on digitized board games until August 6th—30-75% off.

I picked up the excellent Ticket to Ride & its Europe expansion for $7.50 total—the physical versions currently total $87+ on Amazon, so the digitals are great value if they're good. Check out the user ratings & comments to see what others think of them.

With further advantages like instant setup, impartial rules enforcement, available AI opponents, and automated score keeping, I reckon I'll be replacing some of my physical games going forward—eg I already have the physical Ticket to Ride. I only briefly tested it on PC, but I agree with most comments on Steam—it's a very nice implementation, and the local LAN feature works, if you don't want to play public multi-player against people around the world.

I passed on another excellent physical one I have—Carcasonne—as only a couple of expansions have been digitized so far. Once they're all done, and the whole bundle appears in Steam's bi-annual big sale, I'll grab it.

It's only recently that good digital versions have started appearing, so don't buy blind—check the user reviews & ratings.

ETA to play local LAN, each player will need their own copy—but some games have a 'hot seat' or split screen facility so more than one player can play on a single installation.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-08-03 at 17:33. Reason: ETA
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2018-08-04)