Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Officejet says "device installation not complete"

I've been trying to scan using our Officejet 6500 wireless all-in-one printer with Windows 7. To do so, I used the HP Solution Center icon on my desktop and it worked fine.

Now I'm getting a message that says "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete".

No software or hardware changes have been made since it worked perfectly so I'm puzzled.

HP support is very detailed and technical so I'm hoping someone here might have a simpler solution.

Or do I need to uninstall the whole thing and start again?

I will appreciate any suggestions...I've been working on this off and on for over a week!

Thanks,

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can relate to your situation as I've seen it happen where I volunteer.
    For me it was downloading HP Support Assistant, having it recognize HP products, in this case the HP LaserJet MFP M426fdn that was in use.
    Running their diagnostics or whatever it was, recommended uninstalling & re-installing the it.
    I didn't do it, I let the HP Support Assistant do it and it turned out well.
    Since I did that last year I really don't recall this: but I think I completed everything via USB and then once it was running as expected, converted it to wireless.

Thanks
    Linda, it sounds like a file has gone missing or become corrupt—that happens from time to time. You can try replacing the driver(s) if you're comfy doing that, or go the simpler longer route of uninstalling and reinstalling.

[I'm assuming you're using some version of Windows]
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. I tried cmptrgy's solution first, but could not get the issue to correct itself using the Support Assistant. So I took a deep breath, went through the uninstall and then reinstalled a full package.

There certainly were some hiccups along the way ("you're all set and it's installed" in one message with a "error in installation occurred" in a second), but by the end, the unit was working properly. When I checked the HP Solution Center just now...ta, da...it was working perfectly! Scanning now available through it.

It was probably a good thing to go through all this. Due to an issue several months back, I'd installed another copy and somehow had 3 different versions of the printer on my Devices and Printers list. Now only the one remains...and it's working!

Appreciate your suggestions and help. Once again, the Lounge has come to the rescue...or, to be more accurate, the Loungers have.

Thanks again...I'm off to scan the document that's been waiting for too long!

Linda

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IreneLinda For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2018-08-08)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    had 3 different versions of the printer on my Devices and Printers list
    Ah yes, should have remembered to ask you to check that. I've found that situation a number of times—not just with printers—where extra versions of a device mysteriously appear and cause glitches.

Anyway, good to hear you're sorted, Linda.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    ...good to hear you're sorted, Linda.
    Thanks, Lugh...me, too!