Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I bought this pair:
    TP-Link AV1200 Gigabit Powerline ethernet Adapter, Power Outlet Pass-through, Powerline speeds Up to 1200Mbps (TL-PA8010P KIT)

Does anyone know of a single EOP that would be compatible, and where to buy it?

I've looked on Amazon, and don't see one, unless it's staring me in the face ready to bite me, and I don't recognize it.

Thank you,
    Dick
    I looked on the TP-Link site and can't see any packaged individually. Perhaps consider a certified refurbished pair from Amazon? Remember what I said about not mixing/matching manufacturers? I suspect these are units which may have been returned for that reason (and have been repackaged) or where the electricity supply turned out to not be suitable. These are advertised as 'This Certified Refurbished product is tested & certified by TP-LINK to look and work like-new.' and '...backed by a 90-Days warranty'. I personally don't have any qualms about buying 'refurbs' if there's a guarantee. YMMV.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further display of "ignorance": I only need 1 eop adapter. I can buy this pair, and only use 1 of them to link up my other tv????

Dick

Thanks
    Further display of "ignorance": I only need 1 eop adapter. I can buy this pair, and only use 1 of them to link up my other tv????

Dick
    Yes. You only need one EOP at the router end acting as 'base' unit. The number of 'satellite' EOPs is up to you.

For example, the EOP installation I did a couple of years ago used 5 EOPs - one plugged into the router as 'base', 2 'satellite' EOPs attached to 2 smart TVs in the lounge and den (rec. room), 1 'satellite' EOP upstairs to provide additional Wi-Fi coverage and connect a laptop and printer via ethernet and finally, 1 'satellite' EOP in the kitchen to provide additional Wi-Fi coverage.

Your setup will be: 1 'base' EOP connected to your router, 2 'satellite' EOPs connected to the Blu-Ray/TV setups and 1 'satellite' EOP spare.

Hope this helps...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-08-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm back; and newly confused. I bought this: AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit
    TL-PA8010 KIT from Amazon. I have successfully set it up so that 1 of my tv's is connected via the base and the adapter.

I wanted to do the same for my other tv. However, everything I see offered seems to be another base and adapter.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't need another base. I need 1 more adapter, I think.

Can some kind soul go to the tp-link site; and, under home products, tell me what offering would enable me to connect 1 more tv tto my lan network?

THank you,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick-Y; 2018-09-10 at 11:53. Reason: spelling

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It seems you need a TL-WPA8730.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-09-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry. Isn't the TL-WPA8730 for a wireless network? The TP-Link product I previously bought and installed was to set up a base and eop so that the connected TV acted like it was connected to a lan, not wirelessly.

Am I missing something?

Dick

Thanks
    It is for both or either. If you're using ethernet cables at each location then nothing forces you to use the Wi-Fi functionality of the units.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-09-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y
    I bought this: AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit TL-PA8010 KIT from Amazon. I have successfully set it up so that 1 of my tv's is connected via the base and the adapter.

I wanted to do the same for my other tv. However, everything I see offered seems to be another base and adapter.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't need another base. I need 1 more adapter, I think.
    The AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010) contains 2 identical EOP adapters. My apologies for not making this clear when I described one as a 'base'. The problem is that TP-Link do not appear to sell their EOPs individually... so you have no option but to buy another pack of 2 (identical) EOPs. This will let you connect the second TV and leave an EOP spare.

The issue you were having was poor wifi reception to the Blu-Ray players. The AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010) meant you could use ethernet-only EOPs which are cheaper. There's nothing to stop you buying the wireless enabled EOPs but continuing to use just the ethernet ports. (The advantage of the wireless-enabled EOPs like the TL-WPA8730 is that smartphones and tablets benefit from the EOPs wireless access point.)

Hope this helps...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-09-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I must really be dense. AS I understand it, this is a kit, not a pair of separate adapters. So, it would have a base and 1 adapter.
    Seems like I would have to "throw away" the extra base, and use the 1 adapter to hook up my tv via the ethernet cable. That seems an expensive waste.

What I'm looking for is either 1 adapter or 2 adapters sold w/o another base.

Does such an animal exist?
    Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y
    What I'm looking for is either 1 adapter or 2 adapters sold w/o another base.

Does such an animal exist?
    Dick
    You just need 1 additional EOP.... but TP-Link doesn't sell them individually, so the answer is No, such an animal doesn't exist. Hence my previous posts #31 and #33.

Hope this helps...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-09-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick:
    Your post #38 finally broke though the denseness in my head. As you know, I had purchased a AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010). For some reason I thought that 1 of the pair was a "base" unit that had to be plugged into my router, and the other was a satelite unit that was connected to my blu-ray player. In other words, I thought a kit meant a base and a satellite unit.

Now I understand that taking one of the pair and connecting it to my router made it a "base."

Bottom line, if I bought another AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010), I would have 2 possible EOP's.

Is that right (finally)?

Dick
    Last edited by Dick-Y; 2018-09-10 at 17:37. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Rick:
    Your post #38 finally broke though the denseness in my head. As you know, I had purchased a AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010). For some reason I thought that 1 of the pair was a "base" unit that had to be plugged into my router, and the other was a satelite unit that was connected to my blu-ray player. In other words, I thought a kit meant a base and a satellite unit.

Now I understand that taking one of the pair and connecting it to my router made it a "base."

Bottom line, if I bought another AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA8010), I would have 2 possible EOP's.

Is that right (finally)?

Dick
    Yes, that's absolutely right... 2 identical EOPs, of which you only need one. It's just a shame that TP-Link don't sell additional units individually.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2018-09-10)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123