2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Optical Character Recognition and Handwriting

I have an interesting corporate problem. For many years, we had a log of departmental activities, including a file number, a name, and some other information. It was handwritten, by a multitude of people. (We now fill it out on an Excel file on a Sharepoint site.)

I am tasked with putting this book onto the network. At the very least, I need to be able to reference the location of the file number and the name. I know that normal OCR will fall flat onto its face but I was wondering if there is some software that will politely interface with me. After scanning to create a PDF file, it would be nice if each unreadable area would be easily accessible, and I could manually enter the correct information.

Any thoughts? Acrobat?
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

Thanks
    Generally, when you scan something to PDF, it scans it as an image, not editable text. Still, I think it would be a good idea to keep all of these scanned documents available for viewing, so that they can be referred to as needed. (In case the OCR process doesn't do an accurate job, someone could look at the original scan to compare the two.)

I'm not that familiar with OCR software; but I can say that if you are dealing with handwritten originals, you will be unlikely to get accurate OCR conversions.

Thanks
    Here's a review of Abbyy OCR software. PC Magazine rates it very highly.

Thanks
    For doing OCR on handwritten originals: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/conver...ting-text-ocr/

I really wasn't aware that you could do OCR on a handwritten document; I guess I've been out of touch for a while!

Thanks
    Then hire a few proof readers....

Don't toss the original either if there are legal record keeping reqs involved.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I'd hire a firm to scan and index. Commercial scanners are very fast, it's the notation / index creation that's slow, so you could get someone to scan, then use internal resources to read / index.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your help.

Paul T: I will try to get the scanning done. And, you have given me the proper word: "Notation".
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Must use proper words dinchaknow!

cheers, Paul