Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word online for the new user

I'm helping a neighbor who has a fairly new Win10 laptop that does not have Microsoft Office. They're senior citizens who know little about their computer. Recently another friend sent them an email with an attached Word document. I'll call it Announcement.doc. (Yeah, it was written with an older version of Word.) The neighbor had trouble opening the document, apparently because she lacked the software to open it.

I have Office 365 on my computers—a MacBook and a Windows 10 machine—for which I pay Microsoft $100/yr. I like it. I've also used Word and Excel Online. It occurred to me that Word online would be perfect for this couple. I'd like to recommend it to them, but I'm a little unsure how to set them up with it. When I first subscribed to Office 365, I had already had a Hotmail account for many years, so I simply used my existing account. My neighbors are still using AOL for their mail. If I help them set up a Microsoft account, can they use their existing AOL e–dress, or would it be better to start a fresh Microsoft account (and simply never use the Microsoft email address)?

My neighbors are never going to prepare any fully-formatted Word documents. All they want to do is open and read the occasional Word document that someone sends. In this situation, how would they use Word Online to open a Word document that arrives as an attachment? If they had Word installed on their computer (as I do), double-clicking on the attachment would launch Word and open the document straightaway. How would they do this if the online version is their only way to use Office apps?

Perhaps a better question: Is there another—better—way to get what they want? Would Google Docs or something else work better without all the fuss? Will Wordpad open a Word document?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Check out LibreOffice. It is free. You can install desktop programs. "Writer" (the Word-like program) can be set to be the default for Word docs.

NOTE: If you have Office 365 home you can have up to 5 users on your subscription.
    Joe

Thanks
    +1 for LibreOffice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_Hutton View Post
    My neighbors are never going to prepare any fully-formatted Word documents. All they want to do is open and read the occasional Word document that someone sends.
    Plenty of options, incl Libre which Joe & Rick recommend, altho that's a full-blown WP so perhaps too many unnecessary extras for your folks needs. Others:

Word Viewer from Microsoft—this might be the simplest & lightest solution, all it does is open for reading.

AbleWord —if you want WP capability just in case, this one is the easiest to use I know of. Works with Win10 and is free.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

LC_Hutton (2018-08-11)

Thanks
    I'd suggest making sure that .doc is genuine, ie really sent by the friend. That format is well known for carrying malware for phishing, that's why it's hardly ever used.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...eeding-macros/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point, Vincenzo, and one I'd already considered (although I didn't discuss it with my neighbor). They know the person who sent the .doc very well, and they were expecting it, so I don't have a serious concern about malware in this instance. I'd like to have a heart-to-heart chat with the person who sent it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, thanks for the suggestion about Word Viewer. I'd forgotten all about that one!

JoeP and Rick: I had given brief thought to LibreOffice. I have to agree with Lugh: both Office and LibreOffice are more than these people need. I think I'll recommend the viewer. It's probably all they need.

Great replies, everybody! Thanks for taking time to respond.
    Last edited by LC_Hutton; 2018-08-11 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Wordpad will also open and create simple word documents, both doc and docx. The default save format is rtf so you have to select doc or docx when saving.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry!

Thanks
    If they don't mind keeping all of their documents online, and if they aren't dealing with any sensitive information, then I think Microsoft Office Online is a good option for them. It is available everywhere they go (even on Android devices), and it is simple. Best of all, it is free.

The complicated part is when you try to save documents to your hard drive, and work on them in Microsoft Office Online. If they aren't computer savvy, then they will have a hard time negotiating their way through that process.

So if they are going to use different devices (their home computer, their Android tablet, someone else's computer, etc.), this is an easy choice - Microsoft Office Online is the way to go.

If they want to keep everything on their hard drive, then they need to go with Libre Office.