Star Lounger
    Thanks

No HDMI sound between PC and BenQ monitor

Hi all,

I have a PC running Win7, a new BenQ GW 2270 monitor, actively using an HDMI connection from an Nvidia GeForce GT 710 graphics card.

Everything is working, all of the monitor's audio settings on its settings menu are set to HDMI, but there is no sound from the monitor's inbuilt speakers that work using a VGA connection.

Before I decided to try using an HDMI connection, it was a VGA D-sub connection and the sound was provided via a separate cable connected to the green output port of
    the motherboard's inbuilt sound chip.

When I click on the Nvidia Control Panel (in the Windows Control Panel) and select the Set Up Digital Audio => BenQ 2270 => Open Windows Sound settings,
    on the Playback tab there are only two options - PC Speakers and Realtek Digital output. There should be an Nvidia HDMI option that has to be made as
    the default option in order to get HDMI sound to work, but there is no such option.

I have installed all of the Nvidia drivers and updated them. I have also made sure that System => High Definition Audio Controller is enabled in the Device Manager.

Under Sound, video and game controllers in the Device Manager, there are only these two installations: Realtek AC'97 Audio and Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM).

As I said, nothing comes through to the Playback tab for Nvidia.

In another forum, someone with this problem was advised to obtain the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver for his system that used Intel drivers. Doing that
    fixed his problem.

Is it possible to download something similar from Nvidia's support site?

HDMI sound should work on this setup because there are settings for HDMI audio in the monitor's settings. I could not find any such settings for the Geforce
    graphics card.

Many people have reported it, including not getting HDMI sound to a TV connection, but I have had no success with the suggestions for a fix.

Any help to sort this perplexing problem would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,065 Posts
    The specs for that card indicate an internal audio input, so I think you need to pass the PC sound through that.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm a little confused because the specs for your BenQ GW2270 monitor show that it has 2 HDMI connections and a headphone jack... but there's no mention of (the wattage of) any internal speakers. However, you mention previously using an audio lead so I assume that I looked at the wrong monitor specs.

One more thing to check... because not all HDMI cables support sound (nor do all older HDMI-capable devices).

HDMI is a development of the earlier DVI interface so, when first released, primarily supported video. Sound support wasn't added until slightly later. As a result, original HDMI cables all lacked support for audio (I think it's called ARC, i.e. the Audio Return Channel). Even now you can still find cheaper HDMI cables that are video-only... as I found when trying to connect my laptop to my Dad's TV.

I'm going to make a guess that the HDMI cable you are using doesn't support audio and the lack of an audio channel stops your Nvidia Control Panel from recognising and displaying a 3rd digital audio output option, i.e. your BenQ monitor.

Do you have another HDMI cable that's known to support audio available to swap as a test? (or just plug a set of headphones into the monitor to check audio passthrough over the HDMI cable.)

Hope this helps...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

satrow (2018-08-29)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

PaulT, the graphics card is brand new and only has a D-sub, DVI and HDMI port, so where would the audio be connected and by what cable?

HDMI incorporates sound and video in the same cable.

Rick, the HDMI cable is brand new bought for HDMI graphics and sound. The BenQ monitor is a model that has built-in speakers.
    It only has an analog audio port, a single HDMI port and a VGA port. Different versions are available with two HDMI ports, etc.

Here the HDMI cable is on Amazon:

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable - 0.9m / 3 Feet (Latest Standard) Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return Channel ARC) -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't buy an expensive cable because I keep reading that they are a rip-off, that the cheap ones are just as good. The reviewers report that it works wonderfully well.

Thanks
    I must admit that I like the AmazonBasics range and have never had a problem. In fact, that looks suspiciously like the HDMI replacement cable I bought when the cheap'n'nasty (and old) one failed to pass sound between my laptop and my Dad's TV. (He was a Prime member and it was delivered 9 hours later. We were very impressed!)

Sorry but... that's the extent of my A/V experience so I don't have anything further to suggest.

If you resolve the problem (which I'm sure you will)... please post back to let us know how you did it. I would be very interested and I'm sure others would be too.

PS - Just a thought... I don't suppose there's any manual audio routing setting in your PC's BIOS/UEFI, i.e. to route audio to a different bus like the one your graphics card is using? I'm a bit out of touch (understatement ) with modern mainboards (all mine are many, many years old) so I don't know if that's been introduced to UEFI.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I don't have a card or manual so I was going by the specs on the web site.
    Does the manual have any info?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The manuals for both the GeForce card and BenQ monitor just show how to install them. Nothing else.

I used Chat on the Nvidia.com site and the tech guy gave me a link to a driver that has the option to clean install by removing the existing installation.

The graphics card is made by Asus, but the driver from Nvidia checks for compatibility and installs, so the Asus card must use the Nvidia drivers.

I read that if the existing sound is provided by an onboard chip (Realtek AC'97 in my case) the new graphics driver disables it and installs the HDMI option as a Playback device.

That did not happen. The Realtek option and speakers were still showing as Playback devices, so I went into the standard BIOS (it's an old MSI motherboard from 2005 that runs an AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 dual-core CPU that is still going strong) and found that the Realtek audio was still enabled, so I disabled it and clean-installed the Nvidia driver.

Unfortunately, there are now no Playback devices showing under Sound and there is a red cross on the sound icon in the notification area.

I am now going to go back to the Nvidia Chat guy to resume. He sent me an email for that purpose.

It may be that the motherboard is too old to deal with sound from a graphics card instead of the onboard chip and I'll have to go back to using VGA and Realtek AC'97.

The HDMI video display looks exactly the same as the VGA one, so it's no big deal. The PC is just used as a workstation.

I'll report back if anything new comes up.
    Last edited by Eric Legge; 2018-08-30 at 09:02.

Thanks
    I seem to recall that connecting an HDMI cable to my TV 'just worked', but that all can rely on handshake stuff having a picture on the monitor would seem to rule out that problem. Try Control Panel/Sound. Mine has digital settings for my AMD video card, I am not connected to the TV at present and do not relish monkeying with the TV before dinner is served so I can not check what mine options are with it connected.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I have a little PC that I use specifically for PPV viewing on my Big Screen TV and I wanted the sound to come out through the sound system attached to my TV, but I had no sound on the TV when it was connected to my PC via an HDMI cable....till I disconnected the PC speakers that were plugged into the back of my PC (green plug).

Apparently the sound will NOT go out through the HDMI cable while the local speakers are plugged into the PC.
    That seems to be controlled internally in the PC.

A quick and simple solution to what might seem like a complicated problem.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!