Thanks

Cube Puzzles/Games

In another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Hey, a 3X3X3 cube is so last year - why not try 4X4X4 or 5X5X5 (as my grandson does). Indeed, there are now cubes(?) of many sizes and shapes (he has quite a few).
    I have 5 on my desk atm—3x, 4x, 5x, Pyraminx & Skewb—and maybe another 20 in a drawer, my GF is more into them than I am these days.

I tried the 4x and decided it was too much like work. It would need more dedication, but hopefully not as much as this guy:
    Rubik's Cube finally solved after 26 years by avid fan
    Perhaps on some future rainy day at the beach. 5x I'll leave in case I fall into a coma sometime and get bored

Easiest Start

The 2x cube should be the easiest—well, discounting the 1x —but it's tricky enough. I haven't found a way to solve it without memorizing moves, which seems a bit pointless to me.
    I recommend the Pyraminx/Pyramid [linked above] as the easiest start and best way to find out if someone has the bug or not. Follow on to the 2x and 3x if hooked.

Fun Cubes

The Mirror is a fun variation of the 3x—solves exactly the same way.

I got the Megaminx 1/2 solved in maybe an hour, but again looks way too much like work to even come close to finishing.

Skewb linked above is a relatively easy variation, nice occasional diversion.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-09-04 at 18:20. Reason: fix link
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Lugh, your Mirror link is incorrect - only www.

Yup, there's stacks of these things around - even ones which aren't regular. My grandson is a whizz with most, even his younger sisters aren't too bad. I think it's a case of the younger you start the easier it is (like many things).
    What do you mean nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-09-04)

Thanks
    Thanks Access, link fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    the younger you start the easier it is
    I think it's more a case of having an interest. I played with the original cube back in the 80s when it came out, but dropped it after about a month—could solve 2 layers, but no chance with the third.

Of course these days there are YouTube videos and online instructions—without those, it probably wouldn't have mattered how much interest I had!
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    In another thread:

I
    I tried the 4x and decided it was too much like work. It would need more dedication, but hopefully not as much as this guy:
    Rubik's Cube finally solved after 26 years by avid fan
    Easiest Start

T.
    I too have had a Rubik's Cube sitting around for 3 decades, once every couple of years I look at if to see if has reached Enlightenment and solved itself. ... Because I never could!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.