Thanks

Cube Puzzles/Games

In another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Hey, a 3X3X3 cube is so last year - why not try 4X4X4 or 5X5X5 (as my grandson does). Indeed, there are now cubes(?) of many sizes and shapes (he has quite a few).
    I have 5 on my desk atm—3x, 4x, 5x, Pyraminx & Skewb—and maybe another 20 in a drawer, my GF is more into them than I am these days.

I tried the 4x and decided it was too much like work. It would need more dedication, but hopefully not as much as this guy:
    Rubik's Cube finally solved after 26 years by avid fan
    Perhaps on some future rainy day at the beach. 5x I'll leave in case I fall into a coma sometime and get bored

Easiest Start

The 2x cube should be the easiest—well, discounting the 1x —but it's tricky enough. I haven't found a way to solve it without memorizing moves, which seems a bit pointless to me.
    I recommend the Pyraminx/Pyramid [linked above] as the easiest start and best way to find out if someone has the bug or not. Follow on to the 2x and 3x if hooked.

Fun Cubes

The Mirror is a fun variation of the 3x—solves exactly the same way.

I got the Megaminx 1/2 solved in maybe an hour, but again looks way too much like work to even come close to finishing.

Skewb linked above is a relatively easy variation, nice occasional diversion.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-09-04 at 18:20. Reason: fix link
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Lugh, your Mirror link is incorrect - only www.

Yup, there's stacks of these things around - even ones which aren't regular. My grandson is a whizz with most, even his younger sisters aren't too bad. I think it's a case of the younger you start the easier it is (like many things).
    "Such fun!" - Miranda's mother

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-09-04)

Thanks
    Thanks Access, link fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    the younger you start the easier it is
    I think it's more a case of having an interest. I played with the original cube back in the 80s when it came out, but dropped it after about a month—could solve 2 layers, but no chance with the third.

Of course these days there are YouTube videos and online instructions—without those, it probably wouldn't have mattered how much interest I had!
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    In another thread:

I
    I tried the 4x and decided it was too much like work. It would need more dedication, but hopefully not as much as this guy:
    Rubik's Cube finally solved after 26 years by avid fan
    Easiest Start

T.
    I too have had a Rubik's Cube sitting around for 3 decades, once every couple of years I look at if to see if has reached Enlightenment and solved itself. ... Because I never could!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.